The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Single Conversion Progress Thread

jevansio

Me too, 0.8 BAR is too much for 1st, 2nd is OK, but only just, I guess 1.0 BAR would have 2nd in trouble, & as you say 1.2 BAR is giving you trouble in 3rd. I can only hope the R888's can help put the power down, as a backup I have an RLTC sat here, but it's a last resort.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite honestly mate, I think it'll be far too much boost for the lower gears. Even in the heat today I was having traction problems in 3rd, and that was at only 1.2 bar. It's 5th and 6th gear that 1.8 bar will really come into it's own (that starting from 110 mph :D ).

:yeahthat: mine is the smaller GT3582R, but it will spin up the wheels in 3rd at 1.4bar. I tend to run mine at 1.2bar, ocassionally tuning it up to 1.4bar, I couldn't imagine how little traction you'll get at 1.8bar, you'll just sit there in a cloud of smoke in anything below 4th :D

Just got this video sent over from Stu, 12mb mp4 file with my car doing a dyno pull whilst Dan was mapping it.

Right Click Save Target As

I think there's more to come too. Oh tomorrows mapping session is postponed, slight delay with Martys car means it isn't worth Dan coming to map just mine, not that I'm bothered, I just enjoying it soo much at the minute, gives me more time to get used to it & put more miles on the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on how the car is going. Downloaded the AEM software and had a crack at fine tuning the idle & cold start on the car, got to admit I'm really pleased with the results.

The first 5 seconds after a real cold start are still a little shakey, but after that it idles smoothly down from 1500 rpm @ 20 deg to 1000 rpm @ 80 deg. The idle is very smooth too (it still hunts about maybe 100 rpm or so - so work still to do) and when the revs drop they go straight to 1000 rpm (before they used to drop to say 750 then rise back up). In time I hope to have it running as close to stock as possible.

Been taking the car to work every day, the clutch seems to have bedded right in (and I'm getting used to it), so even town center driving isn't too much of a chore anymore, the open roads on the other hand are pure joy, the car is so smooth, TBH if it weren't for the clutch you'd think you were driving a really fast BPU :D

Me & Mart are getting tuned on Friday, I should hopefully be getting to 1.6 BAR (fingers crosses :D)

Sounds good mate :thumbs:

michel tells me my clutch is a bit of a sl*g to use so he's got me another one on order.

cant wait to see ours in action on the rollers :D

Yes he said mine is easy compared to yours (and I thought mine was bad :D), yip roll on Friday

Cheers Ash, the car is testament to the people who worked on it :thumbs:

Nice One Mate.. fingers crossed for you Friday, Im next in Line on Monday for my final map

Cheers bud, I'll be keeping everything crossed :D, looking forward to seeing your results too, that's some beast you have there!!

So the car was back at Motoscope for more mapping by Dan yesterday. Put a new slim battery in the boot. Dan sorted a few things out before we got going, he got the AEM to control my fans, he put the AEM wideband in (rather than the Innovate one I had), then started on more mapping.

All was going well but Dan heard a slight miss on idle so we stopped to check it out, plugs came out but the plug on the cylinder which was missing was OK. Dan & Richard looked into the cylinder and noticed the valves were not closing fully (exhaust I think), so we had to call it a day until that is fixed. Michel took the car straight back & is getting it fixed ASAP. The concensus was that this problem could be causing a number of things (the slightly high EGT's, the difficult cold start) so when this is fixed I'm hoping the car will cold start & idle exactly as stock (as it was pretty close anyway).

There is good news, up until that point the car had pulled 570 bhp @ 1.2-1.3 BAR, so it's looking like it's going to be an easy 600 bhp when finished. The graphs are in the car ATM with Michel but I'll get them scanned in next week.

Even with this hiccup I'm totally in awe of how great the car is performing, these problems are sent to challenge us & nobody said modifying cars was trouble free :D

We finished the day with me Michel & Martin going for a massive slap up Indian in Stockton (5 dishes between the 3 of us, rice, nans, popadums and loads of wine) all couresy of Michel, then onto Yarm for more beer & vodka, then back to Michels where he was serving up absynth!!! I only got up at 2:00 today feeling very rough, hope Martin gets back to Wales OK :D. Fantastic day & night :thumbs:

Sorry to hear news jay but im sure michel will have it solved in a jiffy.

Couple of questions bud

Why on earth did you change from a innovate wideband to a slow AEM one. The innovates are top of the range, alot faster, more reliable (new versions) , prompt error codes when sensor has gone and not displaying wrong readings in this case.

I could go on but just just puzzled

Cheers Ryan,

I'm no techy but it was something to do with the Innovate was giving out a 0 to 1 volt signal, Dan was trying to get the AEM ECU to talk to it, in the end it was taking up too much time and Dan said if we used the AEM one we could pretty much get cracking straight away.

Next time I see Dan I'll ask for a proper explaination. Good thing is I have another Innovate setup on the way from Dusty (the BD one to match my Defi's) so I always have the option of going back to the Innovate one, I didn't realise the Innovate ones were that much better, wonder why Dan was having so much trouble getting it talking to the AEM?

Cheers Ryan,

I'm no techy but it was something to do with the Innovate was giving out a 0 to 1 volt signal, Dan was trying to get the AEM ECU to talk to it, in the end it was taking up too much time and Dan said if we used the AEM one we could pretty much get cracking straight away.

Next time I see Dan I'll ask for a proper explaination. Good thing is I have another Innovate setup on the way from Dusty (the BD one to match my Defi's) so I always have the option of going back to the Innovate one, I didn't realise the Innovate ones were that much better, wonder why Dan was having so much trouble getting it talking to the AEM?

The first Innovate I came across took about 20 minutes to suss and configure the 5v output to the AFR range I wanted, it's quite cool and has loads of functionality, you've just gotta read the instructions carefully. It has a narrowband simulator that puts out a 0-1v signal on a completely different wire if I recall correctly... Hmmm.

-Ian

The first Innovate I came across took about 20 minutes to suss and configure the 5v output to the AFR range I wanted, it's quite cool and has loads of functionality, you've just gotta read the instructions carefully. It has a narrowband simulator that puts out a 0-1v signal on a completely different wire if I recall correctly... Hmmm.

-Ian

Would that have been mine? :)

Sorry took long to reply but yes ian is right on most innovate products the yellow wire is 0-1v output and the brown is a 0-5v analog output.

As out of the box

0=7.35 afr

5=22.39 afr

Dial into ecu input settings and bingo

Valves not closing properly....!!!! I don't think I'd be going for a slap up meal after that, more like doing a bank job to pay for fixing it :) Good to see you can roll with the punches though, or is fixing it FOC, in which case glad to see Michel can roll with the punches ;)

I wouldn't have missed a slap up meal & a p1ss up if the engine had gone pop & the car blew up in flames :D.

Michel can certainly roll with the punches, wouldn't expect anything less from him, top bloke.

Valves not closing properly....!!!! I don't think I'd be going for a slap up meal after that, more like doing a bank job to pay for fixing it :) Good to see you can roll with the punches though, or is fixing it FOC, in which case glad to see Michel can roll with the punches ;)

Fixing the problem is my responsibility as the work carried out on the car is aswell. Untill the car is running right, the cost incurred on the mistakes that the engineering company/ machanic has made is down to me.

We have found that it needs re-shimming according to the machanic , have done a leak test and compression test and stuck a microbore scope down the cylinders and they are fine. the engineering company that i used seem to have not re-seated the new valves properly !!.. At this moment we have it in hand.

Iam very confident that we shall have the car back up and running within the next several days.

Going back to business ethics, i think that there should be more traders responsible for there mistakes, this will provide a good learning curve so that the mistakes are not made again. clients en-trust there cars to ourselves for modification so we should provide the best advice possible, if the advise is not taken then i would just walk away from the job. I run a I.T company and this is one of the key formula's in making sure we provide the quality of service / advise required. I have walked away from many jobs on this forum due to "my mate told me this" situation, i will not compete with rival companies on price wars. This is implimented within my I.T company and we have sustained an excellent customer relationship and name for the past 7 years, i will using the same formular with the new Tuning company that i have formed.

else it think ill be calling the company "bodgit and scarper" :-)