The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Single Conversion Progress Thread

jevansio

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been to any of the NE Supra meets Chris, I do attend the NE MR2 meets as I made a lot of friends after owning 3 MR2's for years.

Yeah I was at that drift thing (that was one of the MR2 meets too). Good day out that :D

Yeah be good to get to one of the NE Supra meets, if you're anywhere near Motorscope on Friday I'll be there getting it mapped with Michel. If you wanna have a look at it though just let me know, I'm always in the Cleveland area (I work in Stockton) and only live in Durham, cheers for the comments too :thumbs:

Cheers for the invite, but unfortunately I can't make Friday :(

Surprised I've not seen you in stockton before (unless you don't usually take the supra to work). We could almost organise a stockton meet with the amount of guys from around here!

I've only ever been to one Jap North East meet (its for all jap cars, not just supras), but one of my mates has just got a 200sx and seems keen to go, so it might be worth heading up to the next one. I'll PM you if we go, like I said, it would be great to see your car in the flesh :)

Whoo hooo :D.

Stu dropped it off at my house last night. The noise of the thing is unbelievable, he missed my house 1st time, so all I saw was it growling past, it looked & sounded so evil.

It's got that same great tuned engine note the Michels has which I soooo wanted (one of the reasons I went for the built block), turbo sounds nuts too (and all this is under 3k rpm, can't wait till it's run in and mapped for 7k :D, oh that's today :D :D).

It's running very good on the base map too, cold start is gonna be a little bit of a handfull this morning I recon, but Dan should be able to sort that today.

I'm so pleased I went for the 3" down & mid pipe, the car is as loud as I want it now, Michel advised me away from the 4" midpipe & boy am I pleased I took that advice.

Took me a while to get used to it (been driving automatics non-stop for the last couple of months) then to get in a single Supra with a heavy 6 puck clutch is a bit of a shock to the left leg :D. I'll get used to it though as I'll be driving it all the time now :D

Anyway you've got till 12 to get your guesses in for my rwhp (see other thread) set of IK24 plugs & trd thermo up for grabs, best of luck peeps, will report back with results tonight.

Sorry for not replying last night, was a LONG day yesterday, up at 5am :D, didn't get back home till after 10pm (had to show my mates the car).

There were 2 other cars being mapped yesterday (Michel's & Steve's) I don't want to step on anyones toes by posting their results so I'll only detail mine.

Summary:

Car was mapped to 0.8 BAR producing 392.7 rwhp, time ran out, will continue on Wednesday.

Detail:

Travelled down with Michel & Kopite (good to meet you Ro) to Motoscope for around 9:00. I was first on, as the engine was low mileage Dan did some further running in on the dyno.

We initially came across a fault TPS, it showed 0.5...1.0...1.5...2.0...5.0. Michel phoned Storm to bring replacements and Dan said we could continue as is for the time being.

Dan then started to up the boost a little. One of the turbo to FMIC pipes popped off. We decided at this point to bring the car off the dyno to replace the TPS & secure the pipe. So while this was happening Michel's car went on, then GeordieSteve's.

So mine was back on the dyno with the TPS sorted & the pipe secured. Dan started doing his business. There was much noise & flames :D. I've had cars on the dyno before & always felt pretty nervous as if they could pop at any time, this engine seemed to do it with ease, I was actually enjoying watching it sat there @ 7000 rpm :D.

I've never seen a car blowing smoke rings before on the overrun but this was doing it, I hope Stu/Steve/Phil managed to get some footage on their phones.

Later on Dan had a slagging match with rally prepared Ford Focus, I didn't see it (just heard it) 1st the anti-lag from the Focus, then the 2 Step from mine, apparently I won :D

It was nearing the end of the day & a problem with the boost controller stopped us taking it up to the 1.6-1.8 BAR we were all hoping to see. We agreed that it was best for Dan to use the remaining time to get the best from the wastegate spring and he would return on Wednesday to finish the map & up the boost (this also gives us time to put more miles on the engine at a safer boost level).

After a pretty hassle free day for me I thought it had all turned sour when we tried to start the car to pull it off the dyno & it wouldn't start!!! Turned out the battery was flat :D :D (it was only a temp battery as I'm waiting for my slim gel battery to turn up due to it being boot mounted now).

We wrapped up the day with me taking the car out for a brisk run with Dan in the passenger seat while he checked everything was OK.

The run home was great, sat behind Michel joining the A19 both cars were on song in 3rd, the 2 engines are pretty much identical so the tuned noise they make is identical, it was like hearing stereo for the first time after listening to mono all you life :D. The car sounds AMAZING, the engine, the turbo, the exhaust make this such a great car to drive. I'll never be able to explain it properly it words :(.

One the way back to Storm a reeled a bike in pretty convincingly (not up on bikes so don't know what it was, sports bike, 600 maybe).

Then when out with my mate a TVR T350c got it too. We then went & got his 996 Turbo, TBH it was neck & neck, but that's another story (for driving chronicles).

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank all involved with the project.

First to Michel, if anyone gets the opportunity to get this guy to build you a single... take it. This car has just about exceed my expectations at 0.8 BAR, nevermind 1.8 BAR. There's no BS with Michel and you can be sure you're getting a proper sorted single Supra. He is such a great project manager, but is at home getting stuck in getting his (fractured) hands dirty :D.

Next to Stu, thanks Stu for proving your services at Storm, I can't fault the work you've performed, it has been done to perfection.

Last, but definately not least Ian, the man is a legend & not only works his socks off, but also possesses an immense amount of knowledge of engine building, electrics & motors in general.

A final thanks to Dan, felt at ease with the car in your hands, you also posses as wealth of information, great to see a mapper getting stuck in with the mechanical side with things aren't going perfectly smoothly.

And to Richard and Motoscope for providing more on site back-up during the day.

In summary, get Michel, & you'll get a great team.

PS Steve too, for general p*** taking of each other etc, pleased you stayed till the end :thumbs:

Mark, yes that is Ian with the Cortina, although I think he's going off V8's, he bought a feckin' Jet Engine from a helicopter (afterburners & all) :D

Thanks Homer :thumbs:, I can't wait man :D, I've been told not to put too much stress on the engine, take it upto 6k, maybe 6.5k every now and again, only trouble is the car is so much fun to drive 6k comes & goes in no time, it's revs soooo freely. Gonna get some vids like you took (only with the cam pointing at the road ;) :D), bet you're loving yours now he probs are sorted.

Here's the graph from the first mapping session, you can see why it's so hard to change @ 6k rpm, torque is flat & bhp is still rising, coupled with the fact it feels like it could rev to 8k easy!

Jay, that dyno graph looks odd, the hp/torque intersection should always occur at 5252rpm, it's well over 6000rpm on yours.

It's all to do with maths, here are a couple of articles that explain why:

http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/PVB/Harrison/EnginePower/EnginePower.html

http://www.revsearch.com/dynamometer/torque_vs_horsepower.html

Is it something to do with the scales??? Do the scales not need to be the same for the 5252 rule to apply? HP = RPM * Torque / 5252, if you re-plot the torque curve to the same scale the cross point would be about 5252.
Yes, because the scales for bhp and torque are different the lines won't cross at 5252rpm

Is it something to do with the scales??? Do the scales not need to be the same for the 5252 rule to apply? HP = RPM * Torque / 5252, if you re-plot the torque curve to the same scale the cross point would be about 5252.

Ah yes, that would be it :)

Nice figures though. Mine felt about the same as BPU when at 0.8bar, you seem to have better results but thats probably down to having all those lovely engine parts :D

BTW, these are just estimated working on injector duration and duty, but mine was around 350rwhp at 0.8, but 528rwhp at 1.4.

Cheers for that Homer, based on what you're telling me I can only conclude I'm gonna have one crazy mo fo on my hands @ 1.8 BAR!!!

Quite honestly mate, I think it'll be far too much boost for the lower gears. Even in the heat today I was having traction problems in 3rd, and that was at only 1.2 bar. It's 5th and 6th gear that 1.8 bar will really come into it's own (that starting from 110 mph :D ).