The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacement Clear Headlight Lens (Merged)

suprattgaz

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have some within a week or two - I will initially run 10 or 15 as I have had quite a bit of interest. I will take photo's when on my car so as you can get a feel for the fitment. I will not glue them on though as I plan to do the abflug insert as well (either buy them or make them) as the initial reason for me doing this was cos I liked the Abflug kit - but not the price!!!!

Watch this space I suppose :guitar:

• 2 weeks later...

To keep you informed these will be running on Monday/Tuesday of next week. I will run a single pair to check they are the correct shape (99.9% they will be perfect). If that is good then will do a big run the end of the week. I will take a photo of first pair (Will not be made of clear acrylic for cost reasons), but you will get the idea of what they fit like.

https://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=102917&highlight=abflug

As thread above, I have had the first trial pair produced. They are much better than I had anticipated - shocked myself to be honest!:innocent:

Anyway, now I have pictures I guess I can get a rough number of people who would like a pair. This needs to be done as a single mould run to keep prices down. The more people, the lower the cost.

See attached photos (I don't think I need to point out which one is the newer!)

I didn't glue the lens on, it is held with plastercine.

EDIT: I can do the lens rims (lips) as well out of fibre glass so you don't have to destroy your old lens. Extra £25 for a pair.

Please list names ( I will not hold you to it, just looking for numbers)

PICT0075.JPG

PICT0076.JPG

PICT0079.JPG

PICT0082.JPG

PICT0083.JPG

In the last picture it looks very rough around the edges - is that just because it's a prototype? Can you get any close up pics of around the edges? I'd just like to see how they glue back into place compared with the standard lenses.

In the last picture it looks very rough around the edges - is that just because it's a prototype? Can you get any close up pics of around the edges? I'd just like to see how they glue back into place compared with the standard lenses.

YUP!!! Cos i just hack sawed it out of the mould. The proper ones are going to be trimmed at the plastics shop. Just saved money on prototyping.

At the minute they are simply the lens so you would have to do the same as the Abflug kit and use the original lens rim. I am looking at replicating the lip as well, or incorperating it into the insert (similar to Abflug). I am only doing this as I liked the Abflug kit and wanted to make one myself. In doing so i can do extras if you guys n gals fancy them too!!;) hence this thread.

Are they legal??? I:E no pattern on the lense???? look bloody clear though..very nice.

See original thread. YES facelift, MAYBE pre. I have two sets now so will have an MOT set but will take them to garage when fitted to see if modded pre-facelift pass. As said before, you could place the original lens over the new for legal purposes, like a pair of glasses 4 your car LOL:cool:

TBH people will run with no cats, fog lights etc which is just as illegal. Not that I am condoning it, but think it is not too much of a problem. By the looks of the pattern it isn't dangerous to other drivers which I was worried about.

Oh, just tried at night - MUCH BRIGHTER!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say they are, how do AbFlug get away with it on their lenses, which may I add cost £300 for the same lenses and black inserts, which I will also add I might not be so hastily buying now...........

.....so YES, im interested..... :D