The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacement Clear Headlight Lens (Merged)

suprattgaz

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any more info on how the Abflug kit uses the original lens rim?

"Not destroying your old lens" sounds like a good choice to me.

See page 3 of this https://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread...ghlight=abflug

If you are still confused I will take photos of the lens I have removed and explain how it works. Should be able to work it out from the links in this thread.

Of course I'm sure Jon will fit them for you anyway - he is having a pair off me to play with.

suprattgaz any chance of a side view of the lens? just want to see how far it goes back and if it slips in the casing like the original ones do

I have not fiitted the lip to the lens, so it is floating in these pictures. I am reproducing the lip to go on the back so as you don't have to cut up original lens. I just wanted a picture with the lens so you guys knew what I was talking about. Again catch 22, without doing the run I will not have a picture of a fully fitted lens, and without a picture of it fitted some people will be tentative about putting name down.

If you use the original lens and cut out the lip it has to fit right back where it started though?!

wow they look goood

1) b'have (2 sets if £50)

2) Mas (1 set )

3) 8800

4) Suprattgaz

5) Suprash - Legality ?

6) Seifer

7) GazzaGSi

8) hbn

9) Elmo

10) Steviekid

11) 94doluck2jz

12) mr lover

13) dazla (1 set)

14) supratony

15) ShamelessTT

16) Supra-jdm

17) mplavery

Guest Geneb

2) Mas (1 set )

3) 8800

4) Suprattgaz

5) Suprash - Legality ?

6) Seifer

7) GazzaGSi

8) hbn

9) Elmo

10) Steviekid

11) 94doluck2jz

12) mr lover

13) dazla (1 set)

14) supratony

15) ShamelessTT

16) Supra-jdm

17) mplavery

18) Geneb 2 sets if £50

2) Mas (1 set )

3) 8800

4) Suprattgaz

5) Suprash - Legality ?

6) Seifer

7) GazzaGSi

8) hbn

9) Elmo

10) Steviekid

11) 94doluck2jz

12) mr lover

13) dazla (1 set)

14) supratony

15) ShamelessTT

16) Supra-jdm

17) mplavery

18) Geneb 2 sets if £50

19) mk47

somebody knocked me off the list :D

I will order 25 then tomorrow (he is on holiday today). I am hoping to get it down to the £60-£50 mark, but without asking them I would just be guessing.

As this is more popular than first anticipated I have made a mould for the outer lip so as you don't have to cut up your old lens (I would say using your old lens is marginally better, but the option is there). Again guessing due to numbers but these should be about £20 a pair.

I will have more info tomorrow on delivery, £, etc once I have spoken to the plastics shop.

Gary

2) Mas (1 set )

3) 8800

4) Suprattgaz

5) Seifer

6) GazzaGSi

7) hbn

8) Elmo

9) Steviekid

10) 94doluck2jz

11) mr lover

12) dazla (1 set)

13) supratony

14) ShamelessTT

15) Supra-jdm

16) mplavery

17) Geneb 2 sets if £50

18) mk47

Removed myself due to other commitments.......sorry.....

Guest Geneb

2) Mas (1 set )

3) 8800

4) Suprattgaz

5) Seifer

6) GazzaGSi

7) hbn

8) Elmo

9) Steviekid

10) 94doluck2jz

11) mr lover

12) dazla (1 set)

13) supratony

14) ShamelessTT

15) Supra-jdm

16) mplavery

17) mk47

got replacement lamps so dont need em now

Material has been ordered for big run today - will be done next week.

As far as money goes, for a run of 25 it works out at £55 a pair.

They will be made of high impact acrylic - doesn't shatter when it fails (due to stones etc.)

The easiest way of fitting them seems to be to keep clear of putting them in the oven, and just trimming the original lens in situ. Only pull the lens off if you want to play with the interior(paint it, fit abflug type insert etc.) THIS NEEDS TO BE CONFIRMED

I have also replicated the lip on the lense so as you can pull the original off and keep it un-damanged if so wanted. They work out at £25 a pair and are from Fibre-glass. I will take photos tomorrow so as you know what I am talking about.

Once the lenses have run and I am happy with the quality I will put up a new thread in a couple of weeks.

Gary

Attached piccies I took this evening to try and show what has been done so far. I have taken a picture of the 4 components of the headlight. The small black lip connects the lense to the main headlight body. This is the part you can cut from original, or as you can see I have also made a copy from F-Glass. I put the original and copy lenses together to give you an idea of how identical a swap for swap they are. Last photo shows lip in place without lense on it. VERY GOOD FIT!!!

This is still prototype lense so ignore rough edges & gaps with lense (not glued yet!). Also have not cleaned up glue yet from main body so it looks a bit of a mess that end too. I will have a proper lense end of week so will assemble it as it should be, but for those of you confused as to how it assembles this should help.

I also sprayed inner to look like face lift. Didn't do swap but bet it looks the dogs on the car!!!

PICT0103.JPG

PICT0109.JPG

PICT0111.JPG

PICT0115.JPG

PICT0117.JPG