The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My single turbo install

RobSheffield

Bloody hell Rob, that really is a kick in the teeth, I can understand why you felt like saying sod it and stripping it :(

Glad to see you've decided on fixing it, I think I would do the same in your shoes, they are hard to give up on.

What do you think caused this? It reminds me of all the engines that went bang due to builds that were done by Turbofit in unclean engine building enviroments. I know you Rob and I know you would have taken great care over this. So where has this contamination come from?

I have absolutely no clue mate. I didnt really open the engine up as such, and the ends of all hoses were covered with plastic bags if they were disconnected.

I am hoping that i can identify the causes during stripdown.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have absolutely no clue mate. I didnt really open the engine up as such, and the ends of all hoses were covered with plastic bags if they were disconnected.

I am hoping that i can identify the causes during stripdown.

I didn't think you'd messed with the internals so that's what confused me. Nothing worse than not knowing what has caused something :(

Let's hope the damage isn't too bad mate.

Jeez Rob. Gutted for you. It must be like shagging a supermodel but having to leave before the jobs done!

Erm, something like that! See 1st paragraph though, single now! :rlol:

Bloody hell mate sorry to be reading this. Thought you had finally got to the end of the road :(

I know mate, so did i :(

Sorry to read that mate, i have a good 70k complete engine i will do you a deal on if you want it.:)

Ill see what happens during strip down and let you know mate. It could be useful :)

Rob. We'll see what the oil analysis comes back with, but if there has been oil pressure loss due to oil volume loss then I'd expect the turbo bearings to be shot due to this and not due to contamination.

The bearing damage in the turbo will be galling which may well look like contamination i.e. dirt entry into the oil. The other possibility is that the main or big end bearings got damaged and debris have passed into the turbo oil supply..... tho this is less likely.

Lets hope the base engine has a normal level of readings for bearing material :)

Guest Supra2

Sent the turbo off to Turbo Technics, report has come back today as 'oil contamination' leading to blown seal and bearings shot :(

could it have been contamination from excessive fuel?

sorry to hear about this, gutted.

Real sorry to hear this Rob, pleased you've got the guts to carry on though, stripping would be a sad loss, it'll all be worth it in the end, chin up bud & don't let any of the other probs circling in your head affect decisions you make on the Supe :thumbs:

Felt absolutely gutted for Rob. The time and effort really stood out on the build and for an oil issue to occur like this, is just a piss take!

No idea why it occurred but the crankcase was not being pressurised otherwise the exhaust breather would have been full of oil and it was dry as a bone so only thoughts i have are either a faulty relief valve or the sump was overfiled and the oil pressure was just too much for the FMS.

The oil pressure was particular high on the gauge but when measuring at the oil filter its so hard to get a good reading.

Ryan