My BL T67dbb single turbo install project

Homer

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking good! are you using the fuel pressure regulator supplied with the kit?

I already have a real aeromotive fitted so will be keeping that. The one in the kit is a copy which will be up for sale shortly (along with a fitting kit and gauge). Not sure I'd be comfortable using it tbh.

Daryl mate your doing a great install keep up the good work as it's all got to be finished & ready for the 24th of January :D :d :D

Thanks Lui, I'm hoping its running by the 24th November mate! Whether its fully mapped or not depends on the James T and Ian C's availablity (and the weather - mapping a T67 in current conditions isn't going to be easy. Some high gears, i.e high seriously speeds, are going to be needed!)

Thanks Lui, I'm hoping its running by the 24th November mate! Whether its fully mapped or not depends on the James T and Ian C's availablity (and the weather - mapping a T67 in current conditions isn't going to be easy. Some high gears, i.e high seriously speeds, are going to be needed!)

Get it on them new rollers in slough for the major mapping and just tweek on the rd;)

A mere technicality but the pipes marked one and two in your pic are actually both feeds and not returns. The return is into the waterneck

Is it? Bugger. I'll update the post so it has the correct info.

In fact it makes no difference to the setup, but does confirm why James had water temp problems!

What a frustrating couple of days!

I got the screamer pipe back from the fabricators but it didn't fit (oops). Instead decided to just cut it short have it pointing slightly over the subframe. I'll get a proper one made up once the cars running.

I've now found that the brass fitting on the wastegate IS hitting the block (Thanks James for the warning). Rotating the end of the wastegate won't help as any position results in it fouling the block. The tube on the manifold now needs cutting and rotating a fre degrees.

Also, I cannot get the downpipe to line up with the 2nd decat, its completely out of position. It's also pointing in slightly the wrong direction. To solve this I've cut the last foot off the downpipe and am using one of the spare 3inch tubes that came with the kit to make a new section (always wondered what they were for!)

Another full test fit confirmed that the IC pipe from the turbo to the IC pipe in the wing is no where near fitting. This needs cutting down by 1.5inches and the elbow on the turbo rotating a few degrees. Also the 4inch intake tube is far too long so that needs material cutting off each end.

All in all a lot more chopping and welding is needed.. Everything is prepared now so its another trip to the fabricators tomorrow.

If all goes well I'll do some more work this weekend and get some more pics of the progress

Hmm sounds like you should have taken a few lessons in welding before starting...

You're not wrong mate!

Do you think these problems are specific to the the kit you bought Darryl? I'm going to be getting mine fitted shortly, so hoping I don't have similar issues.

From the people I've spoken to these problems are common. Terribleturner had exactly the same issues with the wastegate, screamer pipe and downpipe. MPryde however didn't have the screamer pipe problem so perhaps there are some differences.

Yeah i had the flange off the manifold to the wastegate cut and rotated to bring it out a little. Although i have seen a couple fit straight on. Think we put this down to a batch where the jog moved in fabrication. My downpipe fitted perfect, but then i was getting a new 3" decat pipe made up. It's a shame you don't have anyone local to do the work quickly. As you now know Darryl that you can't plan the install 100% in advance, it's modifing the car, and if it wasn't you'd but it made from Toyota :D

Jee mate, sounds like your having some fun with that kit :(

The screamer pipe i ended up fitting on mine is one that has been fabricated especially.

I did have a look at fitting the xs power one, but found it wouldnt fit, unless i chopped a few inches off it and positioned it so it came out under the drivers side wheel arch, but i wasnt 100% happy with it so stuck to the one that had been fabricated.

I didnt have anyproblems what so ever with my wastegate and brass fitting being near the engine though? Maybe this is because i am using the HKS wastegate, may be slightly different to the xs power one?

Luckily i didnt use my xs downpipe ( i still have it here if you wreck yours ;) ) I used the phr down and mid pipe, fitted fine.

regards to the screamer pipe i am having that comming out of the side of the car, getting that done this sat, cant wait to hear it afterwards!!

Old bill are going to love you then :D

reading through this thread, ive been tempted to go the same route, but being as most of the problems are coming with the down pipe and mid pipe also the screamer pipe and wastegate im wondering if its just worth buying the xs manifold get a hks wastegate and fabricate all the rest myself to keep the cost down. Would you recommend doing this or is there more to the kit than i can see?

Great thread by the way keep it coming ;)

TBH HKS wastegate or XS Power one they are still gonna foul in the same place as they are the same size. What you need to do is buy the wastegate and manifold, test fit, if it does hit the block take it to your local welder and get them to cut and turn the flange to bring it away slightly. You'll probably get charged £10-30 for the pleasure.

Well there certainly seems to be some differences. Did anyone else get a manifold with 4 support struts? Almost all the others seem to have 2.

reading through this thread, ive been tempted to go the same route, but being as most of the problems are coming with the down pipe and mid pipe also the screamer pipe and wastegate im wondering if its just worth buying the xs manifold get a hks wastegate and fabricate all the rest myself to keep the cost down. Would you recommend doing this or is there more to the kit than i can see?

I'm still enjoying doing this conversion despite the problems. However I'd only considerate it again if:

1) I had alternative MOTORISED transport!

2) There is a welder & fabricator available locally

TBH HKS wastegate or XS Power one they are still gonna foul in the same place as they are the same size. What you need to do is buy the wastegate and manifold, test fit, if it does hit the block take it to your local welder and get them to cut and turn the flange to bring it away slightly. You'll probably get charged £10-30 for the pleasure.

James, did you actually get the wastegate tube shortened or just cut & turned? I'm a bit apprehensive about the clearance with the downpipe.

sounds like john shouldn't have to much trouble as he is a fabricator/welder.

If the John's a welder then he's laughing, there's nothing too fundamentally wrong with the kit (although I think there is an issue with the flow to the wastegate).

It'll be a very cost effective conversion if there's no fabrication costs.. thats where I'm having to spend money now (probably looking at upwards of £220).