My BL T67dbb single turbo install project

Homer

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice one Darryl. Is it all bolt on stuff left to do, or is there more bits to fabricate?

There's a few more bits left to do, some are simple trimming jobs, others like the downpipe are more complex. I won't get these back until Friday so probably won't post anymore updates until then.

Eeerrrr the dump tube?? What are you doing with this now?? Just your wastegate now sits more forward than mine. I bet the tube is in the right place now.

Its much better than before, but still not quite right. Once the car's on the road I'm going to get one custom made to go where I want to it to - drop down near the downpipe.

Thanks again for the advice you gave, its been invaluable!

Thanks guys, hope its going to be of use to some of you :)

As mentioned a few posts back, the manifold is now ready for fitting. However there's a few preparation jobs that need doing before the manifold can be finally fitted. I did the oil lines eariler, next up is to align the brass fittings on the wastegate so they point in the correct direction.

Note: You *could* align the fittings and hoses after the manifold and wastegate are installed, but due to the hard-to-get-to position of the wastegate on the XS power kit, I recommend you do this prior to installing the manifold. On the BL and PHR kits I've seen these fittings and hoses can be done in situ as the wastegate is in a much easier position to reach.

First a little explanation of the wastegate hoses. There are two, one fits to the side port of the wastegate, this needs to be connected to the port on the turbo compressor housing (and T'd into the boost controller 'IN' port). The 2nd hose connects into the end of the wastegate and needs to connect to the boost controller 'OUT' port.

The install of these requires a little bit of trial and error, but hopefully the following pics help

The first thing that needs to be considered is where to install the Boost controller solenoid unit (with the IN and OUT ports). The unit should be installed as close to the wastegate as possible so the hoses can be kept short, 3ft is apparently the maximum length the hose can be.

There was precious little space available and after many attempts have decided to mount it just under the brake master cylinder. For now it’s just fixed in place with a screw, but I'll make a proper mounting bracket at a later stage.

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/3122/forum50cu6.th.jpg

Next is to get the wastegate end port fitting in the correct direction and to decide on the route for the hose. Again due to the position of the XS power wastegate the only way I could sensibly route the hose was up then across the firewall to the boost controller.

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/4594/forum51fa9.th.jpg

The next pic shows it with the pipe routed correctly (up and behind the water feed pipes). As this routes behind the downpipe I'll wrap in it exhaust wrap of another insulator to stop it getting too hot.

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/8947/forum52vt9.th.jpg

Now for the hose from the side port on the wastegate; This one is a little tricky and I really should have used a straight hose connector rather than an L shape one. The hose needs to be routed to the turbo, the best route I could find was to take it behind the engine mount then up alongside the oil return & water feed line. This route provides the shortest route to the turbo housing it should connect to. I couldn't get any pics of the hose on the wastegate as it’s hidden, but here's where it comes out. I will tie these pipes in with the water feed at a later stage

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/552/forum53ju1.th.jpg

Here's a pic of the fittings and their final direction on the wastegate

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7707/forum54lc4.th.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality of pics, it was getting dark!

Next up - manifold install :)

Now it finally feels like I'm getting somewhere!

1st up - clean up the threads on the studs, mine managed to get quite a bit of cr*p on them during the numerous test fits. Just use a little WD40 and wind a nut on/off each one until they go on smoothly.

I've used the gaskets that came with the XS power kit, just simple slid them on to the studs before sliding the manifold on.

The fitment should have been straight forward, but it turned out to be quite tricky. The main problem is that 3 of the nuts need to be fitted with the manifold only pushed onto the studs slightly, that’s due to the manifold runners dropping down very close to the studs.

This pic shows the 3 studs that need their nuts fitted before any others:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8207/forum55nc3.th.jpg

I can now understand why the XS power kit comes with a different set of nuts to those from Toyota. The Toyota ones are quite substantial, larger diameter, with a build in washer and long thread, the XS ones are basic ones with no washer and much shorter thread. The Toyota ones are far too large to fit on 4 of the 6 lower studs, there simply isn't enough room for the stock nut.

Now the part that took me ages to sort out... one of the nuts need to be very thin in order to slip in between the exhaust flange and the runner, this is the same one as the stud I had to cut down last week. This was a PITA as I only have a mini grinder and no workbench vice. Here's the offending nut (fitted):

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/8161/forum56jw7.th.jpg

Afte that b*stard went on its just a case of tightening the others up. Job done, one manifold installed :D

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/453/forum57lk8.th.jpg

Tomorrow its time to pick up the downpipe, IC pipe and compressor housing from the fabricators, then some taps from LeeT and then I can start the final install.

Just hope the weather holds out....

Your doing well mate :thumbs: i did warn you about that nut ;) i used the toyota bolt, but gave it a trim 1st with mr grinder :D

My single has ground to a complete halt, as im still waitin for that bloody blow off valve to turn up, ecu and everything else is in and ready to go, am getting a lil impatient to say the least... :angry:

You weren't kidding! Not happy about that nut, I managed to slip with the grinder and now got a nice gouge out of a finger - ouch!

Sorry to hear of the troubles, I as wondering what happened with your install, was expecting it to be near finished by now. Is it worthwhile buying a cheap HKS copy from ebay for now (normally 2-3 day delivery) then flogging it on when your one turns up? I bet someone would take the copy off you hands for near enough the price you paid.

ooops, grinders always win dont they!! i was lobbin a lil bit off my screamer pipe, holding it between my feet, and i cut a nice big slice into the top of my trainer :blink: luckily enough i didnt go deep enough to take a toe off :D . that would've defo put a dampener on my day ;)

Thats a good idea mate, and thats exactly what im waiting for!!! the buggers. I ordered this to put in the intercooler line, so i ordered a greddy tye bov at the same time, just to keep me going until i buy a proper greddy. Its that that hasnt turned up :( and it was the 6th that i bought it. Am going to be emailing him tomorrow if its doesnt arrive :twak:

Isn't that the wrong pipe to fit to an existing IC pipe? unless you putting it inline of course.

I bought an alu flange alone that can be welded direct to the IC pipe, however the welder said it was made of very poor quality material and was difficult to weld.

I was going to post this in a series of pics later on but this is what I had done:

IC pipe flange.jpg

Fook me where did he learn to weld?? Is that going to be on show Darryll?? If so i'd get polishing :)

Its not the welder (his work is 1st class - you should see the other stuff he's done!), the flange is made of extremely poor quality material and wouldn't weld properly.

I'm not pleased with the flange or the pipe tbh so will be getting a better one made up at a later stage - using a genuine HKS flange, then get it chromed :)

Fook me where did he learn to weld?? Is that going to be on show Darryll?? If so i'd get polishing :)

ally is a bastard to weld if its poor quality, I had trouble when i welded my flange to the intercooler pipe. to be honest it wont look half as bad if you polish it up.

Great write up homer looking forward to the results ;)

Got all the parts back from the fabricators today, the IC pipe now fits, though its not perfect, as mentioned I'm going to get a better one made up after the car is running. The filter neck is chopped down, but I've not had time to test fit that. The compressor housing is adjusted and now sits in a better position.

Bad news is the downpipe still doesn't fit. The fabricator have screwed it up somehow and the gaps are the same as before :(

Thanks to some advice from MPryde, I think I'll try something else with the downpipe. Now going to try and find a long flexi pipe to weld on instead, this should allow a little more movement and make the fitment much easier. I'll go and buy a welder tomorrow so I can at least tack the parts in place - it'll cut out any guess work.

I also like the idea of having a fexi pipe, it should cut down on vibrations and allow a little bit of movement it the exhuast ever gets hit.

Either that or I'll just get it running and drive to the fabricators on just the downpipe :D

Hope that tomorrow I can fit the turbo and perhaps some other bits (provided the weather isn't as bad a forecast!