The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No More Supra

Guest Sexy Supra

Guest Sexy Supra

I am not an enthusiast who lifts the car bonnet up to show people what is underneath, nor do I spend hours polishing it until the paint comes off. I chose the cars I did because I liked to drive them. I have never been interested in the technical side or how much BHP I have or how fast it can go. Those things don't interest me.

I know there will always be rivalry between Jap clubs because you always think your car is better than theirs - it just isn't the case.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not an enthusiast who lifts the car bonnet up to show people what is underneath, nor do I spend hours polishing it until the paint comes off. I chose the cars I did because I liked to drive them. I have never been interested in the technical side or how much BHP I have or how fast it can go. Those things don't interest me.

I know there will always be rivalry between Jap clubs because you always think your car is better than theirs - it just isn't the case.

:blink:

ok, thanks!

im a bit like you too in this sense. I love the looks of the supra, it has futuristic sports car shape that you can see current cas being based on like the veyron for example.

it has an amazing interior and not to mention the TT cant leave most cars for dead in both straight and on the twisties.

the best bit is thats it does all that while being an eveyday day car, your shopping trolley, reliable, relarively fyel eficient.

you made a big mistake not experiencin a TT...especially a BPU.....

compared to the GTO the supra is a better car in every respect....sorry.

rnjoy your choice though, i hope it doesnt give you much trouuble. bloody complicated cars though and not easy to fix.

Guest Sexy Supra

I think the advantage of the GTO is that is a 4wd unlike the Supra which, as you know, is a RWD. I had a scary experience in the Supra when the back end stepped out right in front of oncoming traffic. I never got back in it for 6 weeks after that. As I am not a confident driver I think the GTO is the better choice for me.

I respect your comments not knowing that much about cars technically but at the end of the day it is personal preference. I cannot comment on the GTO yet as it is not on the road, so I cannot compare its performance and break down ratio compared to the supra.

The are all jap cars and all prone to breaking down regardless of what make and model it is. If I don't like it I can sell it and try something else.

I have been in touch with the GTO Owners Club and I have members who live by me and they seem like a really nice bunch of people.

Ah well, we can't all be perfect can we? Perhaps when you have driven a GTO you can pass comment before criticising it.

Ive just sold my GTO and although it was problem free for 2 years of ownership, it drove like a bag of shit. It wasn't just my one either, everyone i test drive was the same. Great lookinbg car though. Alot of people said they preferred the look of it to my supra :(

Guest Sexy Supra

I am surprised about how blinkered you are on here. OK it is a supra site but the jap club I am in has all different jap cars in it and they don't make criticisms about who has what and whose car is better etc.

It is all down to personal preference and I want to try something new. I like all different jap cars and have no real leaning towards one or the other.

I am surprised about how blinkered you are on here.

Its not a case of being blinkered, its just talking from experience. I personally like the looks of the GTO and the VR4 is a very quick car. My old boss used to own one, which sadly was a bag of bolts, engine wise its sound but it's the transmission that suffers on these cars.

For a Supra Turbo owner its a downgrade in performance and reliability stakes, thats fact, but as you're going from an NA you'll notice improvements.

Dont let people here wind you up either, you've made up your mind, just go and enjoy it :)

Ah well, we can't all be perfect can we? Perhaps when you have driven a GTO you can pass comment before criticising it.

I've driven *three* actually, the last two for friends who were pulling their hair trying to troubleshoot the damn things.

Looks are not everything, mechanical design is flawed on this car. You don't need to be an engine designer to see that the engine is facing the wrong way!

The second bank of cylinders is badly positioned next to the firewall and it cooks itself along with the rest of the engine bay. Electrics and rubber bits crack and deteriorate quickly.

...and the 4x4 ain't that big of an advantage when the transfer box claps out.

I had a scary experience in the Supra when the back end stepped out right in front of oncoming traffic. I never got back in it for 6 weeks after that. As I am not a confident driver I think the GTO is the better choice for me.

There can be many reasons for the back-end to step out, in my case I found that to only happen when

- I tried to defy the laws of physics while going round a bend too fast

- My car had poor tyres or poorly inflated tyres

- Initially I didnt know how to use my Racelogic traction control and it wasnt setup correctly.

- I didnt know how to drive a RWD car

As you can see, most of the reasons above have nothing to do with the handling of the supra which I must say is extremely predictable.

Wow, glad I read this before I bought my new car, wouldn't know what I was letting myself in for otherwise :D

After the scooby I really couldn't think of any other car that get such a warm response on here......... then again :eyebrows:

Had it for 4 days and love it to bits :p