The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Kinda fed-up with owning a Supra.

RedM

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to be a harbinger of doom, but with general legislation, averaging speed cameras and increasing petrol prices, I think time is running out in general for having fun with low cost performance cars. :sos:

I plan to keep running mine while I still can........

You mean we're being victimised? There must be a European rights law that prevents such treatment to a minority of individuals like us.

My second car saves me a fortune!! ;)

Seriously though, even if my supe did run a second car would be far far less to run then commuting in the supe every day once you take into account servicing wear and tear etc. and it's so convenient to have a car you dont' really give a crap about and can chuck stuff in to go to the tip etc.

What's with the T/C and head lamp?

the plug has, i asume fell of the back and the dash has to come off to connect it back. hopefully

if not its broken, cant turn it off.

and the bulb on the right front main lamp................errrrr i broke it, trying to get the bulb out, couldnt shift it. but it cracked. so now it goes on and off when the lights are on.:rlol: :rlol:

If I felt she was running 100% I would. Although some Audi beast tried it on all geezer and rude off a roundabout this morning. Pulled level at some leptons and let off the loud pedal right next to him. Thankfully (for an auto) she made the best psssh noise EVER right in his open window.

But, apart from that I actually don't feel in love with her at the moment.

I feel the same at the moment as well mine isn't 100 % and i can't get everything done at once.

Guest Flat4_ire
Martin,

buy a 2nd car, keep the Supra for weekends. JOB DONE!!

Save fuel and if you can keep the car in a garage/lock-up you have less security issues, maybe even less insurance to pay.

this is exactly the way to do it, i have my 92 honda prelude for hacking around, when u have a weekdays banger then the weekends seem great jumping into the other beast to bring for a wash etc etc ;)

the plug has, i asume fell of the back and the dash has to come off to connect it back. hopefully

if not its broken, cant turn it off.

and the bulb on the right front main lamp................errrrr i broke it, trying to get the bulb out, couldnt shift it. but it cracked. so now it goes on and off when the lights are on.:rlol: :rlol:

I'm sure we can fix these bits easy enough for ya mate.

Martin, I bought a cheap Fiesta a few years ago for £175, insurance is cheap at about £110 TPFT. I use it mainly during the week to save on the mileage and running costs of the supe. If I used the supe everyday the petrol and servicing costs would definately be more than the cost of the second car. Plus every weekend it feels like you've got a new car. :D

I still do about 6000 miles per year in the supe though.

If I only drove the Supra at weekends here's what kind of driving it'd get.

Sainsburys (5 miles and car-park), Leeds (15 miles and car park), the parents (2miles). Might as well take the sh*tter if I had one!

I don't want to pay to have a car that I'd hardly ever drive which is why I drive it all the time.

Martin,

Save fuel and if you can keep the car in a garage/lock-up you have less security issues, maybe even less insurance to pay.

doesnt work like that i have tried! you gota insure a second car..tax it...mot it...put petrol in it....bills for bits going wrong wear and tear etc...

Why do you feel the pressue to pretty it up?

Just enjoy the drive of the car as it is! The pretty stuff can wait IMHO.

I wouldn't describe it as pressure, but being a member here doesn't help. You see soooo many damn fine cars, that give you inspiration and you think that's a good idea or if only mine....and before you know you're on the slippery slope and there's no going back.

I've spent a lot of dosh this month so far tidying the car up, reinsuring, tyres, so styling parts and such like, infact the amount is horrendous, BUT the car is my P&J and sometimes just occaisionally money is just that money to be spent.

But owning it, is like any love affair, it has its ups & downs and sometimes you just can;'t stand to be with it or away from it, but then you take it out for a ride and all is well again.

Know how you feel, it is a worry i get my arse in my hand about mine sometimes but owning any car is to be fair, get an n/a and it is more manageable, i use mine every day to work and back about 30 miles and not at weekends, and it is not garaged, there is always the fear of what could go wrong, i.e if your heater matrix goes it can be £1000 plus, however i was speaking to the service manager at Fiat as my wife has a punto and he said that if the matrix goes on a punto it can be £1000 + too, all brake discs and pads are expensive, however i find the more you use something the better it generally is, keeps it running well, just have to keep the wearables going and service it reg, i have a good job but am fleeced due to mortgage, loans etc etc but just try and keep on top of supe. Again with the punto theme it's tyres cost £70, and you can get good one's for the supe for £100 so no huge difference, plus there are some excellent people on this site who can sort you with repairs. There was someone selling a good n/a engine plus auto gearbox on here for £500!!. It is a stress though, however as i have said before i am a charge nurse in Intensive care, and some of the people i have seen today would love to be around and have money worries etc etc as they are fighting for their lives, some lost the fight and were not very old. Even a tatty supra looks good and at 30mph plus you don't see the scratches and kerb marks:D

sermon over!!

Matt

Martin,

i drive the wifes saxo 2 and from work mon - fri cant wait to get in the supe for weekend so thats a good tip

doesnt work like that i have tried! you gota insure a second car..tax it...mot it...put petrol in it....bills for bits going wrong wear and tear etc...

sorry mate, it works great for me :)

MOT - £30

Insurance - £50 for me on a Uno 45

Tax,... well you got me on that!

Still, I'd need to put around £50 of go-go juice in the Supra a week.

Thats approx. £2500 on fuel alone :( every year.

Buy a second car.

just put two tyres -full exhuast cost 100 quid on the saxo 15 quid of juice lasts me all week park it anywhere cost me 650 on ebay last year cheep parts- ins 230 wifes a learner -f/c -tax 60 quid -since owning this i worked it out against running the supe daily its paid for its self twice.so more tlc for the supe and works for me too m8 buy a 2nd car

:) sometimes I look at it this way,,,its costing me over £500 a month just to get to work and back, an eighteen mile trip. I could do that on a bicycle for free. Shit, time to reconsider.

Then again, bollocks to it.

If I only drove the Supra at weekends here's what kind of driving it'd get.

Sainsburys (5 miles and car-park), Leeds (15 miles and car park), the parents (2miles). Might as well take the sh*tter if I had one!

I don't want to pay to have a car that I'd hardly ever drive which is why I drive it all the time.

until some nob in a nova/corsa/saxo overtakes you and what car do you wish you were in then?

Guest Flat4_ire

2nd car is the only way, i think its madness running a supra everyday, especially if you are commuting more than 20 miles each way, just takes the fun out of it at the wknd i feel!!

2nd car is the only way, i think its madness running a supra everyday, especially if you are commuting more than 20 miles each way, just takes the fun out of it at the wknd i feel!!

i know what your saying but when you are young (as i was once) its not so economical to have x2 lots of insurance and often not practical to have another car to park etc.............plus a biggy for me when i first had the supra was that having a loan for the car and not using it much would have annoyed me...........but once you get to the age where a run around is £150-250 to insure, and you own more/all of the car then it starts to make sense.....

But owning it, is like any love affair, it has its ups & downs and sometimes you just can;'t stand to be with it or away from it, but then you take it out for a ride and all is well again.

Yup - Just like a Hot Woman - high maintenance but, put's a big grin on your face :D everytime :D

Whilst I sypathise with those on a budget, or those young uns just getting into big insurance etc, lets not forget that compared to other cars with similar power / handling / style, overall ownership costs are cheap and getting cheaper. Comparable to a Modeo was the old fable.

Anyone ever worked out £s per HP for a Supra / 911 / TVR / Jag etc, including purchase / insurance / servicing etc etc ? Seen in a little rosy light, Supes are a bargain.

Whilst I sypathise with those on a budget, or those young uns just getting into big insurance etc, lets not forget that compared to other cars with similar power / handling / style, overall ownership costs are cheap and getting cheaper. Comparable to a Modeo was the old fable.

Anyone ever worked out £s per HP for a Supra / 911 / TVR / Jag etc, including purchase / insurance / servicing etc etc ? Seen in a little rosy light, Supes are a bargain.

amen to that