The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID: Group buy!

Ray

I have read that most cars come with bulbs rated at around 4500K, however the blueish tint often seen is down to the projectors and not entirely the bulb itself. My personal view is that having had 6000k Philips bulbs in the past (albeit the wrong fitment), the colour these bulbs give through the Supra UK lights is superb makes the car look great in the dark, plus when cars see you coming they just move out of the way! (probably thinking you're the police).

My kit (Philips LVQ-212-L300 ballasts with Bosch rebased 9006 bulbs) from an eBay seller (with excellent 100% feedback) is arriving today, and I will post up a full comprehensive review once I've had it fitted - as others have mentioned this is what we need as there are so many kits out there and the results are variable.

All this said, HID is extremely popular and is only just begining to catch on here. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the prices of these kits coming down, and there isn't any reason why we shouldn't be seeing good and cheap kits made by the Chinese, but of course it's all down to people trying and testing before one can say for sure.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Ultrawong

Would a photo of my X5's against the KDG's mean anything then? If nobody tries a set then how will anybody ever know. Somebody on the forum must have a set of X5's fitted. Either way all these valid points are good and only inspire me with more confidence in the product. What would be a good way to prove these lights? I don't know what I can do! I know the concerns but what can I do I have given everybody as much info as I can possibly get and then some. :drown:

Well said Francis but it would seem that even though I and 18 other people have tested them, it is not enough. I always thought a photo was a photo and not "fancy graphics"! The manufacturer I use also makes HID lighting systems for Koreas high speed train but then I can't expect that to match up to ones on a Supra!

i'm off to bed now nuff said.

:thumbs:

Ideally you want 4300K-4500K mentioned earlier in this and other threads as that will be the brightest and most effective....however based on feedback from other forums members the 6000K lights work very well or certainly adequate with a blueish tint to it.

It's not always as easy as choosing a kit with a certain Kelvin number, as they vary from brand to brand a lot. For example the kit I supply is rated at 6500K, but when compared to some other brands, it looks more like 5000-5500K.

As Terminator said, ideally you should test any kit before buying, a bit difficult for you to do with the kit I sell, but I hope my reputation and recommendation of others who have fitted the kit, will help reassure.

If nobody tries a set then how will anybody ever know.

What would be a good way to prove these lights? I don't know what I can do! I know the concerns but what can I do I have given everybody as much info as I can possibly get and then some.

I'd be happy to buy and try a set of the KDG ones as long as I could return&refund if they're not as good as the ones I already have (ones from Nic which I'm quite happy with but were £306)

I could compare them to stock and Nic's ones.

Group buys have to be approved by the moderators.

Seen the sites, It means nothing really, lots of flashy graphics dont prove anything. I am not saying the kits is no good. It is just that the kit has not been seen here. In past experience kits priced as low as these have proved to be poor quaility.

When I bought my kit 18 months ago they retailed through one of the large UK parts suppliers at over £650. When my car was along side a car with one of the cheap kits fitted, the difference was obvious.

All I am saying is members need to think carefully when purchasing items which claim to do the same as items costing 4 or 5 times as much.

If they turn out OK,then at that price I would be interested for fogs and main, but I want to see them in action first.

Very Good Points Phil and Jake!:respekt:

And I should know....Though Ive just managed to get mine working again...after three 'ballest' units went wrong altogether...third one I have just replaced...used to have four working but down to two, couple of the units were replaced with a lot of hassle..and for those who dont already know this were the 88house units from Paul Whiffen 'Whiffbitz' didn't care much for his aftersales and the way he treated me when things went wrong....

the qaulity of HID's is very important..there are a lot of cheap kits about and the ballest units blow when slightly damp...the higher qaulity ones are watertight..as you would expect them to be!

Hope everyone 'One again' can learn from my mistakes...Ive been through the mill a few times over various things....

DONT BUY CHEAP UNTESTED HID's...YOU WILL REGRET IT

:innocent: :yu:

I am not sure if you (michael) are implying that S.Korean quality is the same as Mainland China quality because if that is what you are saying you could not be further from the truth. S.Korean technology is probably as good as Japanese Technology if not better. After all they do have the most sophisticated telecomunications network in the world running at 200Mb and also make 95% of the worlds tv lcd plasma screens and appliances!

I'm not implying anything - I'm stating my opinion that a product shouldn't be deemed inferior based on a sweeping generalisation about the country of origin.

Thanks for the history lesson though.

Well this threads been busy.

1) I'm thinking of trying these HIDs out so you can all learn from my experience

2) The guy is 30mins up the road from me and seems very helpful, I have no reason to doubt him

3) I think these are fitted to his own car for me to see first.

You really do get what you paid for in this world, but equally there's always someone waiting in the wings to rob you. (this is NOT implying anything against our valued traders but the manufacturers/disties before you all jump down my throat!)

Guest Ultrawong

I am not paranoid Nic, Just a little tired of having my efforts trampled on by people unwilling to give others a chance. I know I am new, unknown, and not experienced in the ways of "Supra". I am quite frankly tired of hearing "you get what you pay for" and "cheap goods are often inferior"

Nic says:I can, if I chose to source a cheap kit, I choose not to though.

I have been to Hong Kong many many times Nic and I know you probably get your kits from Mong Kok amongst the many car accessory shops there. I do remember a year ago that the kits there cost around $2000 (exchange rate of about $1.5 to the pound) so maybe your kits are not that expensive to buy after all...for you anyway.

Jake look at things from my point of view. I have to pay upfront for these kits myself. I have to meet a minimum order value of 2000 pounds. This is by no means an easy thing to keep doing and to have to give refunds for a perfectly working kit which has NO problems well why would I even bother. If you fitted the kit and it was absolutely rubbish compared to a kit you already have and was producing light more alike to a filament bulb then yes I can hand on my heart say you can have your money back. I say this because I know how good they are and how well built they are. Have you looked at http://www.kdgeng.com and looked at the certifications they have and ordinances they follow with manufacture and quality control? Go onto their website and look at photos and look for the one that says ballast waterproof test! The link does work you just have to click on the vey left bit of it. You can also see their E4 certification here too.

Pete please come round and look at the kit then I can get some of these proverbial monkey's off my back, hee hee. I know that at the end of the day you guys are only protecting your interests and that is very fair enough, but I am also only asking to be given a fair chance, nothing more nothing less. As I said to somebody else I dont sell low quality goods because its not worth the hassle and I certainly don't want to look a fool.

Folks, do your research, find out what you are getting for your money and take your pick.

:blahblah:

I am not paranoid Nic, Just a little tired of having my efforts trampled on by people unwilling to give others a chance. I know I am new, unknown, and not experienced in the ways of "Supra". I am quite frankly tired of hearing "you get what you pay for" and "cheap goods are often inferior"

Nic says:I can, if I chose to source a cheap kit, I choose not to though.

Who said you were paranoid, not me? But now you mention it :looney:

If you say you are tired of other peoples opinions and you're not making a profit from it, as you claim, why do it?

I have been to Hong Kong many many times Nic and I know you probably get your kits from Mong Kok amongst the many car accessory shops there. I do remember a year ago that the kits there cost around $2000 (exchange rate of about $1.5 to the pound) so maybe your kits are not that expensive to buy after all...for you anyway.

Lots of people have been to Hong Kong, big deal. Exchange rate is HK$13.731 (today) to the £ BTW. Also the kits I supply cost me considerably more than HK$2000 (plus there is airmail cost included in my price). I've tried most of the cheap kits here and they are ALL a complete waste of money.

Oh and :welcome: to the club

Guest Ultrawong

Oh no the value of the HK Dollar is getting stronger to the pound, does that mean you are putting prices up Nic? As far as air mail costs to take into consideration, last time I looked at a map S.Korea is futher away to the UK than Hong kong by about 3000 miles!

Nic, I suggest you keep selling your Kit as I am sure you will and I will organise mine. All this bitching just makes the whole thing look cheap. By the way are your kits E4 certified? hahahahaha. Okay enough now, guys lets just get back to giving helpful information.

:giveup:

Nic has a great club following and has good products at the right prices with focus on quality and reliability.

There will always be cheaper items and it's up to us to find out how good they are or not.

Wai - I'll take you up on your offer to try these out. PM me your phone number and I'll call to arrange a time. Ta.

Everyone else - If these turn out to be cool then you all owe me a pint :D

No-one has lost a sale as I wouldn't be buying these unless they were this cheap.

Proof as they say... is in the pudding. Pass me a spoon someone.

Nic has a great club following and has good products at the right prices with focus on quality and reliability.

There will always be cheaper items and it's up to us to find out how good they are or not.

Wai - I'll take you up on your offer to try these out. PM me your phone number and I'll call to arrange a time. Ta.

Everyone else - If these turn out to be cool then you all owe me a pint :D

lets hope they live up to what they have been claimed, because i too would lurve to have a set at that price! nice one Pete.

It is up to us to find products at even better value, Nic does provide a valuable service and quality stuff, but we to have the power to research every thing that is brought on offer hear to us to decide what is and what is not a good deal. Thanks to Pete we'll know one way or another how these HID's on offer by Wong live up to, thats what its all about on here finding the best deals for fellow members like me and everyone else.

AmZ

Just a little tired of having my efforts trampled on by people unwilling to give others a chance. I know I am new, unknown, and not experienced in the ways of "Supra". I am quite frankly tired of hearing "you get what you pay for" and "cheap goods are often inferior"

Nothing personal.

As you will no doubt appreciate , those of us who have been around a while have seen quite a few bad deals including some HID. As HID's make about the biggest night driving safety improvement to you car and make it look more modern, many people will jump at the chance of a low price HID kit. It happened before and it will happen again.

There are a few times when real bargins can be had in the field of car parts. I know I have found a few but they are few and far between. So get used to the phrases you dont like as many members have found them to be true through bitter experience. Some people are not prepared to tell others that they have been ripped off. The few that do are the tip of an iceberg.

I have orgainised group buys in the past some single buys with a value of over £15,000. I have also put my money up front to the tune of £3000 on more than one occasion to secure a good deal. So get over it, if your gear is good you will have no problem selling it.

We have heard it all before; a newbie comes along with unbelivable offers, members get burned and the newbie is nowhere to be seen. We owe it to newer members of the club to alert them to the previous pit falls of what may initially seem a good deal.

I am not saying that you are one of this type of newbie, "onlytime will tell". BTW thats my favourite saying of th day.

Just out of curiosity, the link to the one of the sites shows three HID systems, what are the prices of each system.

Oh no the value of the HK Dollar is getting stronger to the pound, does that mean you are putting prices up Nic? As far as air mail costs to take into consideration, last time I looked at a map S.Korea is futher away to the UK than Hong kong by about 3000 miles!

:giveup:

Guys Guys Guys....at least I was having a slagging match relating to what HID bulb ratings to go for, which warranty is best etc...so related to the thread topic unlike you two.....its a bloody geography lesson here....

:dir:

It is up to us to find products at even better value, Nic does provide a valuable service and quality stuff, but we to have the power to research every thing that is brought on offer hear to us to decide what is and what is not a good deal. Thanks to Pete we'll know one way or another how these HID's on offer by Wong live up to, thats what its all about on here finding the best deals for fellow members like me and everyone else.

AmZ

Completely :thumbs:

I got burned in the past and have posted those experiences on here to warn others. The whole point of the forum and the invaluable threads that have been discussed in the past.

let me be the first to test my 'cheap' kit against Mcanny's 'expensive one' :D

Please do, it's not as if I'm saying the kit I have is the only one to buy - it's a HID kit and it works well - it's the only one I've tried and I'm a coward so I bought one I knew people had tried and tested already :)

I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback on the 'cheap' one, if it works out I'll probably get one for my fogs (and if the warm up time is acceptable maybe main beam too).

PS: I'm 'michael' now ;)

Guest Ultrawong

Terminator....totally understood what you say and I will now just do what I do and you guys can take it or leave it. Yes time will tell and in time you will all get to know me as a decent, honest and helpful bloke.

The three types of HID kit you see on that site are what KDG can offer. All that I know is I asked what is the difference and how do they perform and what prices are they. First of all the top two are the same. Just look different and the other is the Hella type which houses the Ignitor inside the one box. They all perform the same and are all equally good. The hella type is more expensive by a lot I cant remember numbers (about 30% more I think) as this was way before Christmas. I then asked which one would you buy and recommend, he said "put it this way, you have a ballast producing 20,000 volts, would you place a peice of electrical eqipment right next to it (meaning the ignitor)!" He personally thinks the cheaper one was the better buy and so I bought that one and they have been great. He said they only make the hella one because it is what some people want and to keep up with market options. I have both types on my two cars as Pete will soon see and they are both equally as good as each other. I am unbiased in this issue. I just went for the cheaper option.

I hope that answered your questions.

keep em coming!