The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID: Group buy!

Ray

I presume the Michael you mention in your post is me?

I have no problem with where any kit comes from, I just found it amusing that in the initial thread the X5's were being advertised as "not cheap Chinese made rubbish" when they were Korean.

At the end of the day it's how they perform and how they continue to perform that counts - these ones and the £135 ones might be great for some folks, at the group buy price you might as well give them a go.

Lets hope they will be atleast better than stock lol otherwise i wont be happy!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I might try a set of the 135 ones, will do a bit more research. The chap is only in Cannock (close to me) so if you want to hang on and see if I melt my wiring loom or ECU first?

I know they're cheap etc but it's gotta be worth a try at that money.

Guest Ultrawong

I am not sure if you (michael) are implying that S.Korean quality is the same as Mainland China quality because if that is what you are saying you could not be further from the truth. S.Korean technology is probably as good as Japanese Technology if not better. After all they do have the most sophisticated telecomunications network in the world running at 200Mb and also make 95% of the worlds tv lcd plasma screens and appliances!

I am not out to pick a fight or start a slanging match as I cant think of anything worse. Just like things to be correct and fair. I hate Chinese electronic goods and before you ask I am not Korean I'm Chinese but born in UK. I am sure that there must be good and bad things from all countries around the world and the main thing here is to focus on is individual items. In my case the KDG Hid's are very good unlike the chinese kit I tried that lasted three days. The build quality between the two is beyond comparison. Anyway HID's..................

I might try a set of the 135 ones, will do a bit more research. The chap is only in Cannock (close to me) so if you want to hang on and see if I melt my wiring loom or ECU first?

I know they're cheap etc but it's gotta be worth a try at that money.

Nice one pete, make sure you take some good pics etc

with comparissons to stock bulbs please.

thanks in advance

edit. Ps he might have a funny name... but i have faith in the man. :)

Guest Ultrawong

Hids for cars should run at 35 Watts of power through the wires (before anyone jumps on me I am talking about the wattage through the original wires in the headlight unit) as opposed to the normal filament bulbs which run at 55Watts. There is no chance of melting wires like some 100watt filaments ultra bright bulbs can do. It is because of this lower power usage that cars with bulb monitoring systems sometimes dont like HID upgrades. The easy way to get round this is to fit a large resistor and heatsink which will raise the wattage back to 55watts if this was the case. However doing this will void the other advantage of HID's which is better power use epsecially if you are into I.C.E. and better fuel economy, even if it is only sightly. Plus less power use equals less radiated heat from the bulb! Less chance of melting your light casings unlike the 100W filament upgrades. Better for your altenator and battery too.:blahblah:

Hids for cars should run at 35 Watts of power through the wires (before anyone jumps on me I am talking about the wattage through the original wires in the headlight unit) as opposed to the normal filament bulbs which run at 55Watts. There is no chance of melting wires like some 100watt filaments ultra bright bulbs can do. It is because of this lower power usage that cars with bulb monitoring systems sometimes dont like HID upgrades. The easy way to get round this is to fit a large resistor and heatsink which will raise the wattage back to 55watts if this was the case. However doing this will void the other advantage of HID's which is better power use epsecially if you are into I.C.E. and better fuel economy, even if it is only sightly. Plus less power use equals less radiated heat from the bulb! Less chance of melting your light casings unlike the 100W filament upgrades. Better for your altenator and battery too.:blahblah:

not to mention saving lives of rabbits all over the uk... brighter lights means a better chance of spotting them earlier :blahblah:

So Much hassle over a set of lights why dont people just jump to it when a bargain occurs :ecstatic:

Lui: NO! i dont want a single turbo....

Ray: trust me they are good, more power etc.

Lui: il think about it.

--puts the phone down--

5 mins later.

Lui: Im getting a single turbo, il have it within the next month.

if only life was as simple as Lui's life. :D

Why so much hassel when the Great Raymondo tries to help us us with bringing the Night back to Daylight with such a good deal ???????????
a lot of mkivsupra.net member have got burned in the past with cheap, and not so cheap, HID kits that turned out to be rubbish.

To a lot of members trust and recommendation is a big thing. If another member say he's tried a particular product and it's good I'm much more likely to invest in it too.

I know you're keen to get these lights but has anyone tried them? Who, other than the seller, is to say they're any good? I wouldn't want to see another 10 members all make the same mistake others have made before.

When I was researching HID's, I test fitted as many as possible before deciding which to go for. There are a LOT of crap quality kits out there and from what I found, you usually get what you pay for.

Also if you have a J-spec headlights and are looking at buying an HID kit, check that there is a 9005 (HB3) bulb available. A lot of companies do not make kits with 9005 bulbs, as strictly speaking they are a high beam bulb. However on the J-spec you have to use a 9005, as the standard 9006J bulbs are not available and the 9006 (HB4) will not fit. If you have UK headlights you will need a 9006 (HB4) kit.

a lot of mkivsupra.net member have got burned in the past with cheap, and not so cheap, HID kits that turned out to be rubbish.

To a lot of members trust and recommendation is a big thing. If another member say he's tried a particular product and it's good I'm much more likely to invest in it too.

I know you're keen to get these lights but has anyone tried them? Who, other than the seller, is to say they're any good? I wouldn't want to see another 10 members all make the same mistake others have made before.

Well said.

As I recall there were two group buys on HID about 20 months ago. One half the price of the other. Guess which ones caused all the fuss and disapointment. Some pulled out of the more expensive but high quality GB to go with the cheap deal and regretted it.

I would never buy an HID with out seeing a set in action first. You get what you pay for.

Guest Ultrawong

Nic I am not a trader! That is all I have to say on that issue and if you are out to make me look bad then go right ahead because all you will do is make yourself look vindictive. I am not playing the tit for tat games.

Jake I am offering the group buy and it seems I am already ruffling a few feathers. I understand your concerns and you have an absolutely valid point. Look at http://www.smartmaniacs.co.uk for my other group buys which are running at the same price and you can also find feedback on the hid kits. Anybody can chat to me on [email protected] msn I will answer any questions and send photos of fitted kits etc. I am not a trader I am not a business and I do this for fun and interest and so that everybody can get lights at affordable realistic prices. This forum is so cut throat man jeees....and I thought forums were good communities not markets.

http://www.Gorillafeet.co.uk is my personal (non business) website as you will see and http://www.Kdgeng.com are the manufacturers. If I get chucked off this forum then so be it but it would be against the whole principle of having a forum where people help each other. I just thought... Nic if I were a trader you should be able to beat my price! Let the forum members decide who is fairer with THEIR buying power. I am sure feedback will be coming soon.

Terminator look at my website!

haha! :p

Anyway i understand where you are coming from Imi, i have decided to change my order to the 6000k after reading your information :)

:thumbs:

Ideally you want 4300K-4500K mentioned earlier in this and other threads as that will be the brightest and most effective....however based on feedback from other forums members the 6000K lights work very well or certainly adequate with a blueish tint to it.

Guest Ultrawong

I don't know where or who did the research but I was told that 5300K is the optimum road use lighting temperature range for maximum vision! Slighty higher would increase fog and rain penetrative properties and slightly lower would give a warmer overall colour with less glare and star bursts. Not sure how true this it though.

Nic I am not a trader! That is all I have to say on that issue and if you are out to make me look bad then go right ahead because all you will do is make yourself look vindictive. I am not playing the tit for tat games.

Mr Wong, why so sensitive? You said that your post had been deleted and I merely explained why, by refering you to the forum rules. Your first post was advertising an HID kit group buy, you are not a paid up member, you obviously didn't ask permission to organise a group buy (see group buy rules HERE) and so I presume one of the moderators deleted your thread.

Nic if I were a trader you should be able to beat my price!

I can, if I chose to source a cheap kit, I choose not to though.

Call me Mr Paranoid, but you don't have a friend called Ken do you :rlol:

Group buys have to be approved by the moderators.

Seen the sites, It means nothing really, lots of flashy graphics dont prove anything. I am not saying the kits is no good. It is just that the kit has not been seen here. In past experience kits priced as low as these have proved to be poor quaility.

When I bought my kit 18 months ago they retailed through one of the large UK parts suppliers at over £650. When my car was along side a car with one of the cheap kits fitted, the difference was obvious.

All I am saying is members need to think carefully when purchasing items which claim to do the same as items costing 4 or 5 times as much.

If they turn out OK,then at that price I would be interested for fogs and main, but I want to see them in action first.