HID: Group buy!

Ray

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's a guy on eBay who sells kits for £180 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UK-Dealer-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit-for-all-Cars-100_W0QQitemZ8028933509QQcategoryZ72235QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). His feedback seems pretty good from people who have bought the kit, but I can't vouch for him personally. He also sells kits with Hella ballasts for £299 on his website (http://www.hids4u.co.uk). After doing a bit of research myself I've opted for a kit from the USA with Philips LVQ 212-L300 ballasts (with integrated igniters) and Bosch rebased 9006 bulbs + wiring loom, which works out at £245 via Fedex, will post a review once I get it installed.

Have we got a "hand bag" smiley?

Pete...Grow up...

You guys are going for 8000K lights as supposed to 6000K lights....this is an elementary mistake..Better off looking at the previous threads that talk about what to look out for with HIDs and then make an informed decision....thats all.

I could personally care less whether you go for Maxpower, horsepower, lowpower, arsepower bulbs.........

If I didn't already have HIDs I would get in on the Group Buy currently running on SupraForums. All the guys that got them last time, about a month ago, were real happy with them.

They're $410 (£225 ish) plus P&P

SupraForums thread or quoted below for non-SF members:

Philips HID Group Buy – Round 2 – Artaxerxes Approved

AIM - rwmotorsports

Round 2 is here and I’m excited to bring the Philips HIDs to you guys again. I had 27 very happy customers after the last group buy and with talks with the administrators, I’m back to offer these to you again. Highlights are:

All PHILIPS Components (Ballast, bulbs, part of the harness)

Full 5 Year Warranty on everything

Draws power directly from the battery – no worry of burning up factory wiring

Pricing is as follows:

4300K (White) - $400 shipped

5000K (Slightly more blue than 4300K) - $475 shipped

6000K (Blue/purple) - $475 shipped

PRICES ARE THE SAME FOR LOW, FOG AND HIGH BEAMS OF THE CORRISPONDING COLOR TEMP.

Payment

Money Orders – Please mail them to:

Real World Motorsports

2619 St. Michelle Ln.

McKinney, TX 75070

PayPal – [email protected]

For all orders, please include your forum name, shipping address, and what temp you want. PLEASE, PLEASE include your forum name!!!!

All orders will ship at the end of the week they were placed. For this to happen, they must be placed by Thursday. You have until Jan 30th to place your order, after that this group buy is over. I hope to offer one of these at least once a year.

I will not be shipping over seas this time around. Sorry for those that want these. If you are willing to pay the added expense of shipping, PM and we will get things sorted out.

Kit Pictures

http://www.rw-motorsports.com/images/hidkit.jpg

4300K on the left; 6000K on the right – 5000K is right in between these 2.

http://www.rw-motorsports.com/images/hid30.jpg

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

http://www.rw-motorsports.com/docs/hid.pdf

Pete...Grow up...

You guys are going for 8000K lights as supposed to 6000K lights....this is an elementary mistake..Better off looking at the previous threads that talk about what to look out for with HIDs and then make an informed decision....thats all.

I could personally care less whether you go for Maxpower, horsepower, lowpower, arsepower bulbs.........

Nope. They do 6k bulbs as I posted earlier so there's a choice.

If you want to accuse people of not reading stuff you ought to look at yourself first before coming down all "holyest than thou".

What's your problem? It's not like the first time something has been discussed more than once FFS. Someone's put a seemingly good deal up and we're talking about it. Jeeez.

Now I am not the best at fitting most things but how much would people fit this for do you think?

Apparently its not hard to fit at all.... basically plugs into your existing loom... The only mod you will need to do is to make a hole in your dustcap so you can return a wire... Atleast thats what i remember being told on the phone. Im sure some members can shed some light on this, i know Lui fitted his by himself ( so it cant be that hard :p)

How about if we go ahead with this we could do a HID meet...i.e meet up one day and fit our hid kits all together :D

sad ehhh :blush:

Nope. They do 6k bulbs as I posted earlier so there's a choice.

If you want to accuse people of not reading stuff you ought to look at yourself first before coming down all "holyest than thou".

What's your problem? It's not like the first time something has been discussed more than once FFS. Someone's put a seemingly good deal up and we're talking about it. Jeeez.

Now with some smilies :respekt:

1) Three guys put their names down for 8000K lights...so seemed like they didnt know that the higher the K number, the lower the light intensity. :idea:

2) A quick search would bring up previous discussions about who the MAIN and RELIABLE HID manufacturers in order to make a more informed discussion or a better discussion...rather than the same rigmaroll.... :zzz:

BTW: the 2nd group buy is a good find...looks interesting. :respekt:

failing that someone can snap up yours :)

imi's hid kit for sale

Maybe....or maybe not. The one that I have is highly regarded by Nic and Termi and has many many happy customers on THIS forum.

If it were me however: the 2nd one gives 5 yrs warranty, and with so many happy customers its probably a no brainer.

EDIT: just did some quick calculations. The 6000K lights come in at about £280 inc shipping. To be on the safe side add VAT + Customs (as I already got hit by this) = approx £336

This looks like the same kit I have purchased, those ballasts pictured are the LVQ 212-L300s which are supposedly very high quality and reliable (unlike the slimline Philips ballasts which I previously had - come in the Giantlight kit). Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Maybe....or maybe not. The one that I have is highly regarded by Nic and Termi and has many many happy customers on THIS forum.

If it were me however: the 2nd one gives 5 yrs warranty, and with so many happy customers its probably a no brainer.

EDIT: just did some quick calculations. The 6000K lights come in at about £280 inc shipping. To be on the safe side add VAT + Customs (as I already got hit by this) = approx £336

i take it you have seen a set of these HID's in this group buy which is why you dont approve of them!

if people arent interested then fair cop, just dont kick it if you havent seen a set or tried it, and the fact if someone prefers a blue 'maxpower' set (8000k) or even anything seen by others as 'maxpower' or 'chav' is down to personel taste.

So let me get this right. - The lower the power = the brighter the light

yet the higher the power = the hotter the gas is burning which gives you the blue / purple look?

All a bit backwards to me.

I'll just wait to see what all your lights look like and sort mine later when i get some money.

Dont think they are listed on the site Daryl, but i will check for you... I presume you want to blind us with them?

If you could get a quote for them that'd be great (doesn;t matter if its a few £ more :) I've got old plastic lenses so its going to limit the brightness somewhat.

i take it you have seen a set of these HID's in this group buy which is why you dont approve of them!.

Didnt say that I didnt approve....where did you get that from??? Imagination....and if so then a pretty poor one.

the supraforum groupbuy gives a longer warranty (5 yrs) and has 27 happy customers already...doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out which one is likely to be better...(not necessarily though....likely)

if people arent interested then fair cop, just dont kick it if you havent seen a set or tried it, and the fact if someone prefers a blue 'maxpower' set (8000k) or even anything seen by others as 'maxpower' or 'chav' is down to personel taste.

Absolutely, its their money....they are free to do whatever they want....if they are buying the 8000K lights assuming that they will be EQUALLY bright yet nice and Blue, then they will be pleasantly surprised (sarcasm).

Some of these numbers are used as Marketing bollocks (like in anything else) and it would be a shame to see fellow MEMBERS falling for that trap....if they knowingly go the 8000K bulbs then fair play.

I'd like to see how many go for the 8000K bulbs once they see the difference in illumination. (a simple search on the forum or on google and you will find the HID bible with some very interesting comparisons)

imi your HID kit is the best... :respekt:

Happy now?

Seriously, Is it? Nic or Terminator could comment on that.

In anycase, that was not the point I was making and am certainly not biased...how can I be, I havent even tried mine yet...:D .

If I did come across that way then it was not my intention.

So let me get this right. - The lower the power = the brighter the light

yet the higher the power = the hotter the gas is burning which gives you the blue / purple look?

All a bit backwards to me.

I'll just wait to see what all your lights look like and sort mine later when i get some money.

No mate, the Kelvin rating (eg 4200K, 6000K, etc) is a measure of the colour of the light emited - it's nothing to do with electrical power.

4200K or 4300K is pretty much pure white and the brightest HIDs you can get. Anythin above 4300K is drifting away from pure white and into blue and eventually purple. These colours mean it's putting out less real light. Some folk think it's worth losing some lighting power to get the coloured effect, personally I think that's daft, I believe Mr wkdtime disagrees

:shrug:

Save Arguing over here on quality why not give Chris himself a call at Autobulbs direct on 01794 368834 & perhaps speak to the man himself.

I spoke to him yesterday & he said that these are very high quality kits as good as ome standard hid kits he has sold hundreds with no comebacks & also said kits will most probally out last life of your car & for all this at only £195.00 I think you can not go wrong

& as this being a auto bulb shop me personally think out of the shops interest he will be selling good kits as don't think he will like having a bad reputation for himself.

1500 K Candlelight

2680 K 40 W incandescent lamp

3000 K 200 W incandescent lamp

3200 K Sunrise/sunset

3400 K Tungsten lamp

3400 K 1 hour from dusk/dawn

5000-4500 K Xenon lamp/light arc

5500 K Sunny daylight around noon

5500-5600 K Electronic photo flash

6500-7500 K Overcast sky

9000-12000 K Blue sky

more info here http://www.schorsch.com/kbase/glossary/cct.html