The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello all!

Blackie

Hey all, much been on over the past 10 years? Sad to see I'm now newbie rank (whatever that is) the forum looks smart! Supra went about 10 years ago to Holland,  looks pretty much the same. Miss it sometimes but its my own fault for following the new owner on Facebook 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blackie said:

Hey all, much been on over the past 10 years? Sad to see I'm now newbie rank (whatever that is) the forum looks smart! Supra went about 10 years ago to Holland,  looks pretty much the same. Miss it sometimes but its my own fault for following the new owner on Facebook 

Only thing to really happen on the forum is less activity 😢

yes it is hard to make a decision when to sell this car, many are disappointed later that they sold, but let’s remember, a car like our Supra's will never be built again...., we already have something very special

The problem is social media does not provide a string of communication in the same way per topic. Only per post.

For this reason. I think topic and subject matter structure from forums will keep them alive.

For questions, wants, sales and photo sharing, social media will often be the go too. But there's still a place for communication here, and often posts get lost on social. 

I will always use the forum first.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I struggle to find a post I saw yesterday on Facebook! when on here I can search and find threads from a decade ago. 

It's an invaluable resource, there is a thread about virtually anything technical to help you resolve any problems. I think the 'golden' forum years had some truely hands on innovators that invested lots of time and posted regularly (some are still on but less active). Some moved on and lower levels of ownership and general annual usage now means there is just less chit chat technical or otherwise.  The older days when the cars were cheaper saw a constant influx of owners, some might argue not always for the better but largely it was IMO and it certainly made things more lively.

• Like 2

I'm in my 19th year of ownership (same car), and I've been on the forum for every minute of it (and some time before in fact). I'm still a "Newbie" too it seems 😄. I've attended a bunch of meets and rolling road days over the years too, all as a result of the community here. I always come here first for anything Supra related, and 99% of the time I will find some advice, or an answer.

I've been living abroad for quite some time now, but the Supra is still in the UK (not adding any more miles 😀), and still the one thing I look forward to coming home to the most. As soon as I am done with any visits to the UK, I come straight on here on the off-chance that someone "spotted" me somewhere 😆

And I totally agree with you @Scooter, Facebook/Instagram etc etc are all terrible for finding anything posted more than about 5 minutes ago! This forum has decades of advice and tech knowledge, you're almost 100% guaranteed to find something related to any Supra-related topic you can imagine!

Here's to another few decades!!

People like Ian C, Andy Blyth (and many others who's names escape me) put in and posted up some serious work and now lots are gone or less active I just try and use my memories of it to fast track someone now looking for help.

I was a total newbie back in 2000-01, I remember driving my first NA home very gently as it hadn't had a cambelt change, I was totally ignorant of the non interference design. Drove my second one (manual UK TT) home in 5th, forgetting there was even a 6th! 😄

Despite driving a 20 mpg car like this I honestly think it's saved me a lot of money over other (performance) routes I could have gone and given me so many smiles per mile (I will die having done more miles in a Mkiv than any other car that's for sure!) Forum has been invaluable and I still find myself checking it out most days. 

High prices, lack of parts and use by most, has just reduced the forum traffic and activity. Far more paying recent/todays prices will be the throw it at SRD etc types, nowt wrong with that but it further reduces the activity here, although it's still more active than most single car forums.

• Like 2

To me this forum has been as much part of ownership as having the car itself.  I tried moving away from the Supra in 2013, but got pulled straight back in, in under a year, in good part from seeing everyone's cars on here.

I've definately got an addiction to this site.  I check on it more frequently than any other website.

Gone are the days of crazy body kits and outrageous bolt on mods without a care in the world.  The members who are left, however few, are true fanatics of the car and willing to put some serious time, effort and increasingly eye watering amounts of money, into their cars to keep them on the road.

I love the restoration builds being done these days.  I've said it before, but I prefer these builds to egregious HP builds of old.  The attention to detail is a pleasure to behold and I share in the pleasure of the owners at just how nice their cars look after all the time and effort they put in.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...