The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anyone have any headlight condensation issues? Fogging?

Noz

I'm thinking to build a small plug-and-play system that measures humidity in the light and then power a 12v air pump to move the air within the light.

The controller will be programmed to only operate when the supply voltage is above a certain value. Therefore not being responsible for draining any cars left disconnect from trickle chargers.

It will slot in the top circular plug position (clear on pre-facelift, black with side vent on facelift), as I've made plugs for here anyway so I would just need a hole for the wiring. For UK models, I would move air through a vent port, but that would need different programming, as to move some air first before taking a measurement. As the sensor would have to be located externally. Though not a major issue just some basic plumbing and coding.

I'd like to help someone who has fogging, as this would be the ideal first case. During my days refurbing headlights, I was never able to solve the cause, a new seal or sealant around every joint didn't seem to fix some old lights. Occurrences of one light being an issue from a pair, full clean, reseal, tyre shine all the rubbers and STILL the same light. I'd like to finally solve this issue,

If anyone wants to be the guinea pig, it would be great. 

Thanks

• Like 1

Mate my attempt to reseal mine has failed and the passenger side one now looks like a goldfish bowl. The dirvers side one has slight fogging after rain. 

Any help would be great as im thinking im going to have to bin them/ attempt a full reseal removal which if im honest scared the crap outa me the first time.

8 minutes ago, The Raven said:

Mate my attempt to reseal mine has failed and the passenger side one now looks like a goldfish bowl. The dirvers side one has slight fogging after rain. 

Any help would be great as im thinking im going to have to bin them/ attempt a full reseal removal which if im honest scared the crap outa me the first time.

Use Butyl tape roll for the first layer followed by black rtv silicone. Dont use hard PU sealants you need really flexible and waterproof stuff i found

57 minutes ago, The Raven said:

Any photos mate? We could prove a point and reseal it first. Just to prove its not that.

• Like 1

Shame I can't pressure test them. That would tell a story.

Want to post them to me? If you pay return postage I'll reseal them for you for free. Then if start fogging again. We know its something else and we have a baseline for an air mod.

I'll go over all the rubbers etc.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 11:08 AM, TrickyBlue said:

Mine fog up terribly. I've bought some butyl and in going to try re sealing them. 

If that fails it will probably be new headlights time. 

Don't quit on them just yet, maybe options!
I've had a tiny 12v air pump arrive. I just need to sort out pipework to trial it now to see if it fixes the problem.

Mine does it too occasionally. On UK spec glass headlights. I think the answer to that problem might be ventilation rather than trying to seal it off completely. In my experience the condensation will form anyways. If you have some sort of ventilation it will go away faster than having the light completely sealed off. Could be wrong but thats what I figured out with my car. Do a test by removing the plastic caps on a set you have resealed. 

I have also noticed that my lenses are perfectly clear when I have the car sat for a long time. But if I then use the car for a day they will fog up. It seems to me that the condensation already exists in the headlight housing and then the heat of the engine evaporates it. If it has nowhere to go it will fog the lens up pretty bad.