The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anyone have any headlight condensation issues? Fogging?

Noz

On 1/30/2021 at 12:58 PM, The Raven said:

Mate my attempt to reseal mine has failed and the passenger side one now looks like a goldfish bowl. The dirvers side one has slight fogging after rain. 

Any help would be great as im thinking im going to have to bin them/ attempt a full reseal removal which if im honest scared the crap outa me the first time.

Send it to me ill reseal it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Raven said:

I dont mind, to be honest.  Im happy to send them to who ever, i have ordered the packing so they will be good to go at the weekend

20 hours ago, The Raven said:

Many thanks for the offer but Noz has offered to do it.  Really appreciate the offer tho 

6 hours ago, Noz said:

If Harry's okay to do it. Let's see if that solves it. Be a great study with a second pair of eyes on it.

Sorry noz i didn't see that this was your thread. I just saw headlight condensation on the main page and thought it was ravens thread.

1 hour ago, Noz said:

Okay cool. In that case mate send it back. If I done the seal best I check that.

Got loads of butyl tape. So send whenever mate.

Cheers mate will be posted in monday. I have attempted to re seal myself anything you put on it was scraped out. It has alot of stikaflex on it now.....Anything you can do would be great. 

What was it like when you scraped out?

Sikaflex is a bit too hard. I've tried using that before and not had any success.

The only time I've not had an issue with pure sealant is with Diall stuff. But now a days I just replace the Butyl tape. Warming in the oven beforehand makes assembly a piece of cake.

17 minutes ago, Noz said:

What was it like when you scraped out?

Sikaflex is a bit too hard. I've tried using that before and not had any success.

The only time I've not had an issue with pure sealant is with Diall stuff. But now a days I just replace the Butyl tape. Warming in the oven beforehand makes assembly a piece of cake.

In there mate on last page, and it was tiger seal. I replaced it with. The old stuff more or less came off in my hand after undoing the clips. Its quite possible ive sealed it but im missing something that will be quite obvious 

• 1 month later...

And here we have it.

The first prototype kit going out for trials.

I've wired up a small air pump with inline fuse and switch.

Thinking to fit a variable speed controller first to be fair. Maybe I'll sort that before sending it. Dammit.

I'm certain this could be the future to helping fogging. Especially if we pull warm air from back of the engine bay slow enough to cool the headlights slowly rather than cold air hitting them after being on or just by excess moisture in the light (removing by air movement generally).

20210415_220557.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Noz said:

And here we have it.

The first prototype kit going out for trials.

I've wired up a small air pump with inline fuse and switch.

Thinking to fit a variable speed controller first to be fair. Maybe I'll sort that before sending it. Dammit.

I'm certain this could be the future to helping fogging. Especially if we pull warm air from back of the engine bay slow enough to cool the headlights slowly rather than cold air hitting them after being on or just by excess moisture in the light (removing by air movement generally).

20210415_220557.jpg

Looks great

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Raven said:

Looks great

Thanks mate. Nothing too exciting. I'm fitting a variable controller this morning and putting the fuse in a box.

I think for most applications we can find a solution. May need a humidity sensor in through the top bung and figure out air movement combinations to get it sussed. Then just use a small micro processor to manage it all. Should be fairly easy once prototyping is done.

I get a little on one side too. The pump in an ideal situation would run at lowest speed so you never hear it either.

First prototype done! Loads better with a variable output on the motor. Only need a bit of air thing sounded like a small turbine try to run the car 😂

Excited for this. Uses 300mA on full chat and 100mA at lowest smoothest setting which is about half.

20210416_103721.jpg

Edited by Noz (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Just now, jim_supra said:

Looking good, if you need any more PVC tube when things get up and running proper, then let me know. I sell Hose and Ducting etc. for a living and so can get it at cost.

Legend mate. Would appreciate that. Will be needed for sure if I started selling kits for people.

Do you sell high temperature hosing as well. Ideally I'd like to bring in warm air from the engine. Filtered of course.

No worries, just know how much this stuff goes for on ebay etc. per meter, when the true cost of it is a fraction of what it's being sold for on there.

Depending on where you're taking the warm air from and the ambient temps around the tube then you may well still be able to use the PVC tube for getting warm air through - as PVC tubes max working temp is 65°c. outside of that, a rubber hose would get you another 5-10°c on top of that.

Higher still then you're looking at silicone tube, but quite expensive!

Hoping normal tube will be fine to be fair. But thought was worth an ask.

Back of the engine bay ideally. Close to the exhaust system if possible.

Of course using filters for anyone wondering 😅

Fill headlights full of fumes loooool

• Like 1

Just throw them in the oven and slowly open them up mate. Using pressure and waiting and if its taking too long or too much force, up the heat a little and wait for five minutes. Then try again.

Starting with low heat makes it easier to not over temp. You can burn the casing.

Polish the side light dome as the glass lenses let rays through that make it yellow.

Make sure you sand the chrome well. Otherwise it can begin go lift the pain when chrome peels after time.

Butyl tape on top of the seal should be fine. A thin layer.

If you're worried about fogging. Fit a 4mm bulk head connector so you can have a kit fitted. It's how I'll have to plug into UK lights as they don't have a bung on the top of the casing. I'm sure the parameters yet for moving air just yet to get it right. But km confident it's just a combination of controlling air movement and secret sauce 🤣

Screenshot_20210418-121106_eBay.jpg