The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Curry

Dnk

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Frank Bullitt said:

That’s a shame Dunk, it really does make a difference and they are very easy to grow. But as long as you happy doing what you are that is all that counts. 

I have always wanted a Tandoor oven but wouldn’t use it enough to justify the cost or storage.

I really doubt i'd taste the difference, i have a great local farm shop and their veg etc is very fresh

I'm def not serious enough to bother with a Tandoor :)

One of my devs is big into making curry's.

He gave me some frozen "base" which is then used to make loads of different curry's. I did this one and it was gorgeous.

Notes:

Double everything. The recipe is a single portion which feeds 1. Only things not to scale up exactly double are salt, and possibly the peppercorns.

Tomato paste is 1 parts tomato puree to 3 parts water (mix it and it should be rather thin).

For the base, dilute with 300ml of water

Kalimirch.jpeg

½ tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder (or regular, op-.jpeg

9. Add the tomato paste and your choice of pre-.jpeg

SCALING.png

IMG_3501.jpeg

IMG_3502.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dnk said:

Yes i've seen Misty Ricardo's books, plenty use his recipes and swear by them. 

Your Kalimirch looks great, i need to invest in an aluminium pan so i can get more flavor as i can't caramalise

it in my non stick wok 

Steel pan is ESSENTIAL. You simply cannot get the on the edge of burned caramelised stickiness you need which adds so much flavour to the dish with a non stick pan.

4 minutes ago, Frank Bullitt said:

Looks lovely!

When cooking Thai do you start from scratch each time or do you use a pre-made base/paste to get you going quicker? Similar to the Indian.

The first Thai i did was the Blue Dragon Green 3 step which i used to get an idea of the flavours, then use their paste and adjust as you go, doesn't get any quicker and you dont need to caramalise anything, saying that i'm getting decent results in my non stick wok when doing the Indian/Bangladesh numbers 

If you want silly easy the Blue Dragon works really well i think, just add veg or meat or fish and it works a treat 

3 minutes ago, Dnk said:

The first Thai i did was the Blue Dragon Green 3 step which i used to get an idea of the flavours, then use their paste and adjust as you go, doesn't get any quicker and you dont need to caramalise anything, saying that i'm getting decent results in my non stick wok when doing the Indian/Bangladesh numbers 

If you want silly easy the Blue Dragon works really well i think, just add veg or meat or fish and it works a treat 

Apologies Dunk, I should have been more clear. I make everything from scratch and have a base already made up to cut down on prep time.

I do this when cooking Indian and I have tried the same with Thai, specifically a Yellow and Red but find this really changes the flavour. It’s becomes deeper which is nice but it is not as fresh tasting.

I wondered if you found the same or if you knew of any cheats to keep the freshness, other than starting from scratch each time.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd post up last nights dinner, turned out very nicely but my Coriander chutney went in the bin, i don't

think the dish needed it to be honest 

Tandoori Masala Sea Bass, Masala mash, Shiitaki mushrooms and Kachumber salad 

IMG_8473.JPG

IMG_8474.JPG

IMG_8467.JPG

IMG_8468.JPG

IMG_8475.JPG

IMG_8479.JPG

18 minutes ago, mattdavies said:

I am really enjoying reading this thread, and if nothing else it has inspired me to try different types of cooking. 

Incidently I enjoy the reduced section of the supermarket to try different meats and fish etc. 

I'm enjoying creating my own curries and given me a bit of a hobby to do whilst in lockdown 

6 minutes ago, Frank Bullitt said:

Hopefully none of your neighbours cats start go missing. Apologies, that is Chinese cooking. This is Indian, carry on 😁 Bit late but happy new year dunk.

Lol, Happy New Year to you too mate, lets hope it gets better