The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone Elses Front Wheels Stick Out Different on Each Side?

Style

Only other simple check I can think of.

Check wheels.

Measure the inner alloy wheel back space, to make sure the wheels aren’t different.

Check brake discs.

Measure the front brake disc hub section, to make sure they are both the same.

Quick and easy for you to do, just to rule those potentials out.

can just tell from my personal experience from 10 years back when I imported my first Supra from US.

It was an clean title AT Targa Turbo 202/tan interior on 17" genuine wheels. When the car arrived in EU I didn't realise that alignment problem. Then I bought a set of staggered 18" BBS Style wheels 8.5 ET35 front, 9.5 ET35 in back. Mounted for the first time an had exactly the same problem. One side was almost straight to the fender and other side the wheel was about 2cm inside the fender. Same for front and back. However, I lived with it and sold the car. after few years. The new owner stripped down the whole car for a rebuild and also tried to solve this problem. Don't know exactly what he has done, but in the end he wasn't able to fix it.

This is what a lot of the supraforums guys were generally saying. They've noticed the same on theirs and got no idea what causes it or how to fix it. One guy even went as far to say that Enkei used to manufacture wheels for Supras with different offsets left to right to compensate for this. Whether there's any truth to that, I've no idea.

Only other simple check I can think of.

Check wheels.

Measure the inner alloy wheel back space, to make sure the wheels aren’t different.

Check brake discs.

Measure the front brake disc hub section, to make sure they are both the same.

Quick and easy for you to do, just to rule those potentials out.

Will take note and have a look, thanks. Basically looks like a case of busting out the measuring tape and eliminate everything until something doesn't quite add up.

Don't suppose there would be a slight difference in the length of the suspension arms between either side would there? or a difference between either side on the points of the subframe where the suspension arms mount to?

Could well be. I'll go as far as saying I have replaced absolutely everything that mounts to the subframe, all the way out to the wheels and the problem still exists. So if I had to take a guess at the culprit at this moment, I'd say the subframe is either not quite right or it's mounted to the car off center. With there being no movement or adjustment in the subframe mounts, that would then either point to panels potentially being a little off or even the shell itself not being entirely straight for some reason.

Using insurance statistics, every Supra on the road today will have had, on averaged, over one insurance claim in its lifetime. So, could this slight mis-alignment just be a consequence of a front end accident at some time in the very long life of the car?

Using insurance statistics, every Supra on the road today will have had, on averaged, over one insurance claim in its lifetime. So, could this slight mis-alignment just be a consequence of a front end accident at some time in the very long life of the car?

Thats got to be the worst statistic ive heard this year.

On average, an individual will claim against their insurance every 17 years. I was surprised it was that long but you have to assume with excesses to exceed and potential loss of no claims and premiums affected those claims need to be substantial ones to make it worthwhile. With the average Supra Mk4 now being 25 years then the law of averages would say lots of Supras have had at least one decent ding in their time. The different wheel placement isn't an issue thet ever affected new cars so its been introduced, by poorly fitted panels or parts or an accident knocking out the orientation/alignments. It wasn't a Toyota robotics design feature so it must be man made.

On average, an individual will claim against their insurance every 17 years. I was surprised it was that long but you have to assume with excesses to exceed and potential loss of no claims and premiums affected those claims need to be substantial ones to make it worthwhile. With the average Supra Mk4 now being 25 years then the law of averages would say lots of Supras have had at least one decent ding in their time. The different wheel placement isn't an issue thet ever affected new cars so its been introduced, by poorly fitted panels or parts or an accident knocking out the orientation/alignments. It wasn't a Toyota robotics design feature so it must be man made.

You might as well say every single car on this forum has been in an accident then, even your car unless you've had it since new (which I think you might have from memory). I've got an extensive history of the car's time in the UK but, like pretty much every other import, it's life in Japan is hazy. Absolutely nothing else points to any accident damage that I can see. It might be some sort of fatigue damage over time from heat or stress cycling somewhere. Discs are worth checking, good shout.

It could be something stupid like the brake discs aren't a pair and one happens to be a few mm thicker. But its certain that its either man inflicted or man introduced.

A few mm ?

Its amazing how people select or machine rotors using the rotor 'hat' to change the wheel offset. Apparently with a NSX, owners have reported that Stoptech rotors were 5mm wider than stock. I have learned over many years of problem solving to look at any possibility for a solution, however remote that it is the cause, starting off with the easiest first and swappping the rotors over or laying them side by side on a level surface comes in the about as easy as it gets book of possible solutions.

Its amazing how people select or machine rotors using the rotor 'hat' to change the wheel offset. Apparently with a NSX, owners have reported that Stoptech rotors were 5mm wider than stock. I have learned over many years of problem solving to look at any possibility for a solution, however remote that it is the cause, starting off with the easiest first and swappping the rotors over or laying them side by side on a level surface comes in the about as easy as it gets book of possible solutions.

Never seen miss matched discs in all my years of driving working on cars, first thing i check

before doing anything is matching the discs up that i get sent, to each other and to whats on the car

Might as well fit spacers on if your doing that

are the arches rolled? have you got a pic of the inside lip of the arch?

They are mate, was done when the car was resprayed so time was taken. Could well be that the drivers side has pushed out more though

Have you contacted and asked James about this?

As he was the one that did all the work, he is the one to help you out mate

I think the car was like that before and after he did the work mate, at least the ride height was definitely higher on one side than the other. I'll drop him a line though to see if he has any ideas :thumbs: