The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jz gte coil pack upgrade options

Andy Ven

Hey guys,

Ive been searching on here for comparisons or answers to the question. If you were to upgrade your coil packs from stock. Which ones would you use and why. I know the standard one are rated highly and will fulfil my power goals, i just dont want the extra wiring.

My current situation is:

I am going standalone ecu and i am replacing the stock engine bay harness. Because it is getting re-wired, i want to go to direct wiring from the ecu rather than the stock setup.

There are a few options i have seen :

Ign1a coils

Ls1 (lq9) coils

Audi r8 coils

Does anyone have any experience with any of these setups? Or any others?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

Andy

Hey guys,

Ive been searching on here for comparisons or answers to the question. If you were to upgrade your coil packs from stock. Which ones would you use and why. I know the standard one are rated highly and will fulfil my power goals, i just dont want the extra wiring.

My current situation is:

I am going standalone ecu and i am replacing the stock engine bay harness. Because it is getting re-wired, i want to go to direct wiring from the ecu rather than the stock setup.

There are a few options i have seen :

Ign1a coils

Ls1 (lq9) coils

Audi r8 coils

Does anyone have any experience with any of these setups? Or any others?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

Andy

/QUOTE]

Haven't used 1gn1a. But I have seen tests where they put out the best spark by a country mile. Downside is the wiring will need to be beefy as current draw is high. Also need to watch out for electrocmagnetic interference with ohter components. Very bulky setup, personally wouldn't bother unless you were trying to go 1500hp or more.

LQ9 coils I have seen support 1000whp, but wasn't convinced by them. Very flimsy and sensitive to how they are mounted. Also hard to find genuine ones here in the UK as they are not common on many of our cars.

R8 coils are my favorite coils on a budget. £120 gets you a full set of NGK coils, that I've yet to see any spark related issues with from stock to big single power. No brackets needed, just push them on and go. Very easy to find online or through Euros etc. Downside is they are very high so can't run the top cover.

Yaris coils I've used and they work but need to make sure they are genuine or they wont be worth using. Also struggles on big single setups with high boost, fine for anything else.

I've recently wired in a set of R35 coils and they only require 3 wires. So less wiring, and they fit under the cover and seem to support high power outputs. I liked these a lot, but can be expensive, especially if you use genuine R35 coils.

From experience it takes me the same amount of time to make an ignition loom for an OEM igniter based setup or an aftermarket smart coil setup

I would say you wont go wrong with stock coil setup, especially if you have coils that are somewhat new.

If you want to go aftermarket, on a budget go for R8 coils or if you have some cash to splash go R35.

Legend of a post there mike.

I can personally vouch for the R8 coils. Indeed they are high but Whifbitz sell a reduced height version. So low you can run them on a GE engine and keep the overhead intake.

Best to contact Paul and just confirm the cover would be fine. But I have high Hope's they would.

From a wiring viewpoint. They dont need an ignitor. Direct signal from ecu.

I'm at 603hp. I see many others hitting decent numbers on the R8 coils. Lots of RB engines running them. I'd give the a go mate

I can personally vouch for the R8 coils. Indeed they are high but Whifbitz sell a reduced height version. So low you can run them on a GE engine and keep the overhead intake.

Best to contact Paul and just confirm the cover would be fine. But I have high Hope's they would.

I'm at 603hp. I see many others hitting decent numbers on the R8 coils. Lots of RB engines running them. I'd give the a go mate

Any chance you can upload a photo of the lower version R8 coils they supplied you with. I have used a set of lower R8 coils before and they melted on a 9 hour drive into europe due to inferior design compared to the longer R8 coils.

Be interesting to know if these lower ones are the same, or if there is a better variant of them on the market these days.

Are you not R35 coils mate? I think that's the ones that are with the Whifbitz kit they've just released

I've R8. Must be the lowered ones are R35 ones then. My mistake. I know Paul said he was doing a lower kit.

Ah ok, that would make sense.

The lower 'r8' coils I've used are actually vag coils for golfs and the like that look similar, but inferior design so melt when exposed to lots of heat

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I was actually searching some more last night and came across this video on youtube. They test around a dozen coils. Definitely worth a watch to anyone interested!

I like the idea of rhe r35 coils, but again its around £550 for the set including mounting brackets.

Ill wait to see if anyone else has opinions on any of these coil setups.

I’ve got whifbitz coils and they seem good so far. Hopefully they will support big power when I go for it soon, circa 1000hp, which is what they claim on there website. Paul suggested them so I’m pretty confident they will be ok. They are good at 700

/QUOTE]

We had a set of Whifbitz super spark coil packs fitted just before Dragonball 2014 and as soon as we put it on high boost (1.8 bar) the car developed a misfire at 5000rpm. Luckily Lee @ SRD was on the trip and had a new set of OEM coil packs in the boot of his car, fitted them and never looked back. Still got them fitted today and had zero issues.

Maybe Whifbitz have upgraded there coil packs since then!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I was actually searching some more last night and came across this video on youtube. They test around a dozen coils. Definitely worth a watch to anyone interested!

I like the idea of rhe r35 coils, but again its around £550 for the set including mounting brackets.

Ill wait to see if anyone else has opinions on any of these coil setups.

We use stock OE Denso coils on all the big power supras and they work great, can do them for £540 a set.

A lot of the stock style aftermarket coils either don't last or don't like too much boost, have replaced loads.

As Mike says the R35 and R8 coils work well, R8 good value for money but you need to do some wiring for them.

Different league, the whifbitz coils have issues with spark with boost on BPU. Seen it multiple times. I've done 2.5 bar on a single turbo, standard gap plugs using R8 coils

Thanks Mike2JZ, you just made me spend £400 upgrading to R8 coilpacks. Parts arriving tomorrow :D

I’ve got whifbitz coils and they seem good so far. Hopefully they will support big power when I go for it soon, circa 1000hp, which is what they claim on there website. Paul suggested them so I’m pretty confident they will be ok. They are good at 700

/QUOTE]

I had whiftbitz coils on my BPU, also failed.. After 20000kms of usage, fine cracks. had a misfire on boost.

Replaced with an old set of OEM which had alot of cracks, no misfire.

Eventually put a new set of OEM, even better..

Had to get an adapter plate and pre-made harness. NGK R8 coils were £165

Try this instead.

https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ngk-ignition-coil-u5015-48042 NGK Coilpacks with Black Tops, so they dont stand out as much as red. £120 for a set.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/coil-pack-connector-x6-TFSI-R8-sr20-2jz-1jz-fits-golf-tt-toyota-nissan-VW-Audi/223543566867?hash=item340c3c2213:g:gvAAAOSwFM1c-a3c Set of 6 R8 connectors with terminals £11

Get rid of adapter plate. Not needed. Have run mine for 3 years without, never an issue.

Throw in a few more ££ for some wire and for a budget of £150 you can be on your way. Wiring these is super simple.

The whole point of R8 coils is budget price for those usually who are NA-T or cant afford other coils. If you are willing to spend £400 might as well spend 100 more and go stock coils or R35

Should look something like this when installed

attachment.php?attachmentid=234617&stc=1&d=1581025920

coil.png

Edited by Mike2JZ (see edit history)

Try this instead.

https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ngk-ignition-coil-u5015-48042 NGK Coilpacks with Black Tops, so they dont stand out as much as red. £120 for a set.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/coil-pack-connector-x6-TFSI-R8-sr20-2jz-1jz-fits-golf-tt-toyota-nissan-VW-Audi/223543566867?hash=item340c3c2213:g:gvAAAOSwFM1c-a3c Set of 6 R8 connectors with terminals £11

Get rid of adapter plate. Not needed. Have run mine for 3 years without, never an issue.

Throw in a few more ££ for some wire and for a budget of £150 you can be on your way. Wiring these is super simple.

http://www.maxxecu.com/webhelp/images/clip0191.png

The whole point of R8 coils is budget price for those usually who are NA-T or cant afford other coils. If you are willing to spend £400 might as well spend 100 more and go stock coils or R35

Ah this makes more sense! I thought similarly if it was going to be £400 but at £150 it’s not a bad shout!

Surely the R8 coils will deliver a stronger spark than stock?

Budget isn't my concern, got the adapter plate and harness for a more professional looking install. I like the sound of R8 coils as they are cheap to replace vs any other coils and are more than up to the job.

Surely the R8 coils will deliver a stronger spark than stock?

Budget isn't my concern, got the adapter plate and harness for a more professional looking install. I like the sound of R8 coils as they are cheap to replace vs any other coils and are more than up to the job.

Stock coils are perfectly fine for big power build. But they need to be relatively new. 20 years old stock coils that are cracked are obviously going to have issues.

Look at Realstreet supra. Arguably one of the most powerful JZ's on the earth right now and uses stock coil.

I mean do what you like I suppose, the R8's wont let you down. I just wouldn't have picked them for the same reason as you.