The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Selling bits - here or ebay conflicted!

Scooter

Ok a recent meet up with James (The Turtleshead) and the sale of an upper sump I've had forever has me slightly conflicted about selling bits going forward.

His mate has been struggling to get an upper sump for ages apparently and when chatting to them some guy wanted circa £6-700 for one and they've been struggling to find any others!?

Now I chucked some other bit's block related I had in the shed as they are building up a engine from a bare block, sold them for a nominal sum (certainly compared to the above). They I think were well chuffed and tbh the bits didn't owe me anything much and had sat in storage for probably a decade! and it's a nice forum thing, James and his mate were nice, and the projects crazy! So everyone's happy :)

My point is if I'd been a random who'd popped up an upper sump on it's own for £250 on ebay they'd have probably snapped it up, as perhaps others might.

So it's got me thinking going forward as I've got other bits to potentially move on and some possibly "big ticket" items and being (obviously!) out of the pricing loop, how would you personally play it? It seems to me going straight to ebay could be more lucrative but not very 'forum' but then a respray doesn't come cheap does it! so should I just be more cut throat (and forget what I originally paid for stuff)? and just follow the current MO of overpricing (what it feels like) stuff, or just under cutting the real chancers (like the £700 sump seller!)

17" wheels are an example where prices have seemingly hiked

TT Autoboxes perhaps just starting to get a bit rare...perhaps will hike soon?

Diff's have seen a big shift up?

Basically I spose I'm trying to 'fair price' stuff but it's hard to know what that is right now.....

Unfortunately there will always be some that take advantage to make a quick buck, when people who genuinely need the item, but a little late to the party miss out.

I'd personally advertise at the current market value, and if a forum member would like something and makes an offer, it's up to you whether you stick to your guns or meet in the middle

Some good advice thanks......I think I'll stick with here, need to overcome my inner hoarder and start selling (After deciding what to keep!).

This thread can be a note to anyone that reads it that I can almost certainly be haggled with on the prices if you think they are 'toppy'.

Ebay is bloody awful as a seller, full of rip-off artists and time wasters and paypal always sides with the buyer if they decide to claim against you. Selling on here would be my first choice then ebay as a last resort if I needed it gone quickly.

Yer I'd say stick to here 1st, all I've ever got on ebay is things like the below example...

*Lists 4 standard supra 17 alloys for £400*

Potential buyer:

"Il give you £100 as 2 tyres has below 7mm of tread?"

Utter time wasters 80% of the time

I have sold afew items on here and always gave a discount over advertised price.. upto 30% in one instance... to fellow members...

But

When trying to buy on here... in rarely get a discount.. on several haggles we have been 10% away from asking price... but they hold out for every penny...

Just saying....

If i have it and you need it... id rather keep a supra going... than not...

I used to advertise here or on other car forums with that specific makes parts first but honestly things tend to sell a lot faster advertised elsewhere and usually for a higher price even after fees are taken into account. The car forum audiences are so small these days and people, myself included, do appreciate or sometimes even expect a bargain on the forum. I find it's easier to link an eBay ad and say any forum buyer can have the price less fees if its a buy it now offering.

When it comes to Supra parts I've always given this forum the first pickings. Next would be eBay, 9/10 times I will be getting haggled on the price plus the eBay sale fees at the end. It costs nothing to advertise here and it keeps the parts in the community a bit longer.

Just incase you have any Brembo parts in particular, be very careful selling them online. My Facebook account of 18 years was permanently disabled after an Italian based third party accused me of copyright infringement for selling second hand calipers on the Supra parts marketplace.

Erm... I've never advertised or sold brake calipers on here, or anywhere else for that matter... you must have me confused with someone else buddy.

Sorry adam... yes i must be confused.... my apologies.....

Aha.. it was bayside_supra was the seller... of the yellow k sport rear calipers...

Sorry once again adam

Some good advice thanks......I think I'll stick with here, need to overcome my inner hoarder and start selling (After deciding what to keep!).

This thread can be a note to anyone that reads it that I can almost certainly be haggled with on the prices if you think they are 'toppy'.

I would do this. Seen stuff sold cheap on here to then appear on Facebook with a mark-up. Frustrating how difficult it is to be kind nowadays.

I would do this. Seen stuff sold cheap on here to then appear on Facebook with a mark-up. Frustrating how difficult it is to be kind nowadays.

I've fallen foul of this, have sold parts at cost (or very close to) on here to help members out only to see the same stuff show up on Facebook a short time later for much more money, on one occasion nearly double what I sold for.

It's frustrating that people use others kindness to make a quick buck, but I guess that's the world we live in nowadays.

People will try and sugar coat it any way they like especially using the rare excuse, but the truth is, its just greed, pure and simple. I could rant long and hard about this, and dont get me started on 6 speed boxes.

When people ask for parts on here, they generally really need them and if I have the bits, I'll let them have them for a fair price. BTW I sold an full mid sump to a guy in Holland for 150 quid

I've fallen foul of this, have sold parts at cost (or very close to) on here to help members out only to see the same stuff show up on Facebook a short time later for much more money, on one occasion nearly double what I sold for.

It's frustrating that people use others kindness to make a quick buck, but I guess that's the world we live in nowadays.

I'm sorry but I think that sort of behaviour is absolutely disgusting. Any member found partaking in such disingenuous and deceitful activities ought to be banned from the forum.