The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Prices, what happened?

marc_p

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you think that OEM is the best way to be to maintain the value ??

It is with every classic car in the car World so its very unlikely Supras will be any different. The reason stock endures is because its timeless whereas mods date and become old so these cars require constant upgrades to keep them current. So even though modded cars will always get good prices the costs are high to mod and then maintain so from an investment viewpoint its all pretty much a no brainer.

Bought my first NA import for 5k 14 years ago and then traded it for my tt tip import 8 years ago which I bought for 10K. These prices are ridiculous but now put the Sup alongside certain GTRs which is right in my opinion. I thought the Sup was always too cheap.

I nearly lost the love last year and was close to selling. Now it is a keeper.

It is with every classic car in the car World so its very unlikely Supras will be any different.

That isn't the case, at all. Or how come well modified series 1 E-Types can reach £250,000, when many equivalent stock examples are going for £150,000? (That is of course discounting the extremely rare, limited production models, which isn't applicable to Supras anyway, or an original condition, delivery miles car) And even now, the very nicest stock US spec Supras are only just starting to reach the money Ryan Woon got for his highly modified blue (RSP?) Supra 10 years ago.

The reason stock endures is because its timeless whereas mods date and become old so these cars require constant upgrades to keep them current. So even though modded cars will always get good prices the costs are high to mod and then maintain so from an investment viewpoint its all pretty much a no brainer.

Thats a very simplistic view, and of course, false. I've had 4 Supras, the modified ones have been every bit as reliable as stock cars. It all depends what has been done, and how.

And BTW, there is nothing "timeless" about the performance of a stock TT Supra. It was a supercar slayer when new, now many repmobiles will embarass one.

so from an investment viewpoint its all pretty much a no brainer.

Very poor choice of investment. A well maintained Supra will cost more to own than you will gain in value, when you account for fuel costs, insurance, servicing etc. These cars are getting old, and some of the 'wear and tear' parts prices are becoming insane (priced up any suspension parts recently?) The best you can hope for is owning a car you love, while the increasing value 'offsets' some of the overall cost.

Thats a very simplistic view, and of course, false. I've had 4 Supras, the modified ones have been every bit as reliable as stock cars. It all depends what has been done, and how.

And BTW, there is nothing "timeless" about the performance of a stock TT Supra. It was a supercar slayer when new, now many repmobiles will embarass one.

You keep on throwing out this 'I've had 4 Supras' like that's some kind of an authority badge.

The classic car market didn't manifest itself with the arrival of the Supra. You can always have the occasional highly valued modified classic cars like you see with the old British marques tribute cars of Le Mans winners or those with a rally pedigree. Of course the original factory works cars are by a very long way more valued still than any modders creation or recreation. Classic appeal has nothing to do with how fast the car went otherwise morris minors and bubble cars wouldn't get a look in or the fiat 500's. The question raised was, lets remind ourselves, is OEM best to maintain value and in the instance of cars its as close as possible to factory original that is a good bet to give best value and with an appreciating classic it follows on its also going to give you the best security and return on your money.

Owners can either look at the rising prices as an opportunity to invest in buying a car, invest in their car (to buy those very expensive Toyota parts) or to cash in and buy something that's a lot more current.

Now this is just my personal opinion. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. I have no problem with your opinions and would never say you are wrong or simplistic because a forum thrives on both shared and competing opinions.

I agree with Jay, it's all very subjective. I have a '69 Mach 1 Mustang and the modified ones go for more unless you either have a) A very rare model (i.e. Boss, Shelby, etc) or b) an incredibly low mileage and completely original example. This is because the standard ones are not a good drive compared to modified ones, no-one want to drive a car with drum brakes, 1960's suspension, etc. People want a car that you can jump in and drive with a good bit of poke, can actually stop and go round corners/over bumps without throwing you off the road.

Edited by marc_p (see edit history)

More to the point can i sell my jspec headlights yet to pay for a hoilday?

Being honest another year of rises and mines going. I cant justify keeping it if an offer of 18k came in its going to have to go.

- - - Updated - - -

More to the point can i sell my jspec headlights yet to pay for a hoilday?

Being honest another year of rises and mines going. I cant justify keeping it if an offer of 18k came in its going to have to go.

I agree with Jay, it's all very subjective. I have a '69 Mach 1 Mustang and the modified ones go for more unless you either have a) A very rare model (i.e. Boss, Shelby, etc) or b) an incredibly low mileage and completely original example. This is because the standard ones are not a good drive compared to modified ones, no-one want to drive a car with drum brakes, 1960's suspension, etc. People want a car that you can jump in and drive with a good bit of poke, can actually stop and go round corners/over bumps without throwing you off the road.

There are two camps and always will be. Sometimes modders see their originality as an improvement returning a superior car, then other see it as a personal choice. Both camps are very stuck in their ways, that doesn't make anyone right or anyone wrong. Its personal property to do with what you want.

I've kept my '65 Mustang Fastback as it was the day I bought it 4 years ago which is pretty much stock aside from a front drum to disc mod. I've kept my Supra exactly as I bought it 20 years ago. I'm just clearly not a modder.

Some interesting reads from both sides of classic car ownership:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/project-vehicles/25980-modified-or-stock/

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/05/stock-vs-modified-for-your-ride

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/general-discussion-non-vintage-mustang/842377-stock-vs-restomod-value.html

A comment that sums up the issue for modded cars getting old that I can relate to is this one in the forum link:

I would say that a stock vehicle would hold more value generally. But, a well done resto-mod could be worth more if done correctly...maybe a lot more for a nice pro-touring car.

To get any decent return on your money invested in a resto-mod, it would have to be in clean condition...who wants to buy someone's old resto-mod with dirty beat down tubular control arms, a 347 that looks like crap, 17" wheels with bald tires and lots of brake dust, etc., etc...if that's the case, I'd rather buy a stocker.

It's all interesting, I have noticed a few on ebay having their prices slightly reduced, still higher than previous years sure, but they haven't been selling at top money.

Auto to manual divide seems high (I spose it's always been close to 1:2 ratio really), a few high 20's to 30's obtained for manual cars, when auto's advertised at over £15K seem to be slightly struggling to sell?

It's all interesting, I have noticed a few on ebay having their prices slightly reduced, still higher than previous years sure, but they haven't been selling at top money.

Auto to manual divide seems high (I spose it's always been close to 1:2 ratio really), a few high 20's to 30's obtained for manual cars, when auto's advertised at over £15K seem to be slightly struggling to sell?

It does look like people are overstretching the market more often now. The Supra inflation of 30% a year has slowed this year to have probably stalled, price inflation this year will be likely be around 10%. I still expect a stock TT6 will be pushing £45k to £50k within 5 years which is in line with market predictions that Supras will plateau out around similar pricing to the Honda NSX. Which would mean the days of 30% inflation are over so anyone wanting to cash in. now would be a decent time.

All I would say about the Supra re originality, it that I don't think the marque will attract (so many of) those nerdy types that pick holes in the model types and specs being out of kilter.

If ever there was a car or range of cars to buck the trend it will be the Jap cars or the 80's/90's. One that springs to mind are those early Nissans 240Z these seem to be more/as popular modded?

Also really as pointed out few are true investments really it's just nice to use a car and have the usage costs offset to some degree by appreciation.

It does look like people are overstretching the market more often now. The Supra inflation of 30% a year has slowed this year to have probably stalled, price inflation this year will be likely be around 10%. I still expect a stock TT6 will be pushing £45k to £50k within 5 years which is in line with market predictions that Supras will plateau out around similar pricing to the Honda NSX. Which would mean the days of 30% inflation are over so anyone wanting to cash in. now would be a decent time.

Definitely people trying to cash in, or flip cheaper (unsuspecting private owners) cars.

I think the American market and their take up of RHD will be key, their 25 year rule has had a massive influence I think, not just here but in Japan. Demand is sort of strong here but only from a very few people if that makes sense? So could possibly dry up in some circumstances?

Rider, I always thought supra prices should be more in line with those of the nsx (just imo, and the fact they aren’t helped me become an owner), they have always seemed cheap to me for what you get really. I agree that they will reach the same values eventually.

I can see the appeal in buying a close to stock car and tweaking it to my choices, after all that’s what I did.

Blank canvas if you will.

I can see the attraction of a high quality build though, but in general I think most people would want a stock car and take it from there, after all BPU isn’t too much effort to get it to should you want to go that way... and you can choose your own parts that suit your tastes that way.

I just think there are very very few people out there looking for an auto right now, very few manual hunters too really but so few cars for sale the demand>supply whereas with auto's it's probably the reverse. Old days £5K auto £10K manual was common, so now £15K auto £30K manual is perhaps right too? I say right, I think it's a bit nuts but it fits the market trend.

I think there was a white VVTI tiptronic that sold for good money recently but not much history of auto's getting >£15K is there? certainly no the steady trickle of manuals in the > £23K region.

I just think there are very very few people out there looking for an auto right now, very few manual hunters too really but so few cars for sale the demand>supply whereas with auto's it's probably the reverse. Old days £5K auto £10K manual was common, so now £15K auto £30K manual is perhaps right too? I say right, I think it's a bit nuts but it fits the market trend.

I think there was a white VVTI tiptronic that sold for good money recently but not much history of auto's getting >£15K is there? certainly no the steady trickle of manuals in the > £23K region.

I Disagree. Mines an auto and will be up for a bit more than bogies, but it is a big single with loads of work done and upgraded parts, full respray etc

I suppose it depends on what people want. If people get a problem with the manual gearbox now, they have pretty much shot their load and are going to be well in ££££ trying to get it either rebuilt or sorted. The autos dont carry that risk. Even running a Titan gearbox the risk/cost is still far lower with most parts fully available for the A340e.

But then I would say that. I have an auto :)

For investment purposes though, the manual is definately more desirable and will always command a premium over an auto

Well I have two auto's so no axe to grind just saying what I see, in that there are a fair few auto's up for sale that aren't selling and those that need to sell are saying they are dropping the price a little and they still aren't going?

I wish everyone the best of luck selling for what they want, it just seems like for auto's the demand isn't quite there right now for the prices being asked that's all.

Well I have two auto's so no axe to grind just saying what I see, in that there are a fair few auto's up for sale that aren't selling and those that need to sell are saying they are dropping the price a little and they still aren't going?

I wish everyone the best of luck selling for what they want, it just seems like for auto's the demand isn't quite there right now for the prices being asked that's all.

Ah yes, sorry mate, didn't realise you had an auto (s)!

I think your right; I am surprised to see that Bogies car hasn't sold yet to be honest. They are definately seen as the 'second choice' looking at the wanted adverts. Possibly single turbo autos selling better than stockers? Who knows.

If it comes to it I would keep mine rather than keep dropping on price after what I've spent on it. Would just need to sort out some long term storage to free garage space up!!

I don't see the huge manual premium as worth it personally, but what you see is the wanted threads are vastly in favour of the manuals and those searching seem to have big enough pockets to be specific in their requirements. Also barring a massive sea change in the market the premium/prices are likely to stay so once over the purchase price figure it's just money now in the form of a Supra!?

I struggle to figure out what the going rate the Supra’s are going in the UK

I have seen a few for sale adverts recently and thought the prices were coming down a tiny bit

What are the going rate for a good clean TT6 these days ?

I hear if there Yellow there worth double ?lol

Your car, I’d advertise £30k minimum if I was selling, probably the nicest TT6 I know of.

You keep on throwing out this 'I've had 4 Supras' like that's some kind of an authority badge.

Not at all :rolleyes:, it just gives some context to the experience I've had with these cars. Unless you think the ownership experience counts for nothing.

The classic car market didn't manifest itself with the arrival of the Supra. You can always have the occasional highly valued modified classic cars like you see with the old British marques tribute cars of Le Mans winners or those with a rally pedigree.
But you're defeating your own argument there, because Supras have their reputation, and associated value, BECAUSE of their tuning potential. If you look on the Japanese sale pages, you will find that well maintained, tuned classics with desirable, period modifications are worth similar sums to the best standard examples. A 240z for example, with one of the original run OS Giken tc24 twin cam head conversions will be worth several times what an equivalent, low miles stock example will be.