The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Fuel Economy Modifcations

Wonga Spar

Hard to tell if driving behaviour has much benefit though without being able to get a readout. Running odemeter/fuel bills is a piss-poor way of measuring mpg.
How so? Get yourself the fuel log app. I always try to run the tank low and fill to the first click. Avoid temptation to round up to nearest £. I type in litres, price per litre and odo reading and the app does the rest. You can plug in all sorts of other costs too and get £/mile figures etc.

This is a screenshot for my MR2.image

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2JZGTE does run fairly rich in stock form, with an aftermarket ECU you can trim this right back, especially for motorway cruising where low load you can really lean it out :D

How effective would that be ? ie how much difference would it really make mpg wise

In the real world its never going to get to be an average 30 + mpg no matter what you do petrol

wise

Average i'd guess is low twenties even running 100 %

Depends on his commute. Recent motorway journeys for me have given 26.5 and 29.1. Standard car, not hanging about average 0.8leptons with the odd squirt at 1.X .

Take it steady on a motorway commute and you'd easily see into the 30s.

How effective would that be ? ie how much difference would it really make mpg wise

I guess that would depend how much time you spend on motorways, it could make a difference but as you say its never going to be a drastic saving.

Some really, really insightful help here guys.

Thanks for going easy on me too, I know a thread about maximising economy from a Supra is going to furrow some brows!

The commute is almost all motorway/dual carriageway.

The second car option would definitely be the optimal financial choice, but I'm allocated 1 car parking spot and a 10 minute walk to a second car would get boring fast. I bought a little Civic last year and I know this is the exception but the bloody thing just hemorrhaged problems, I love spoiling the Supra when it comes to maintenance but a few 400 quid bills on the "reliable" daily leaves a very sour taste in the mouth. Plus 0 NCB on a second car and all the tax/insurance associated with a second vehicle very quickly eats into savings, plus the misery of going from dailying a Supra to a 1,000 quid diesel. Meh....

The MPG monitoring app seems nice, but if you really want to get an accurate figure you need to make your driving/journeys consistent for the whole tank, a weekend blast or an hour in traffic can really skew results. I don't need to know my average MPG, I need to know what I could achieve in theory with a lot of discipline! If 28mpg is attainable with sensible driving on my commute then that's good enough for me, but definitely going to investigate the LPG conversion further.

Not to mention the cost of premium is 1.40+ at the moment!

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

28 should be easy on your commute.

You won't be getting much more than 250 miles to a tank so you shouldn't have weekends to skew results. How often do you need to be staring at an MPG gauge? A couple of mon-fri 50mile runs will give you an idea how feasible it is. After that, why do you need to be so exact?

Remember, the app will give you a figure every time you fill up. So mon-fri commute, fill up. Sat-sun blast, fill up.

LPG seems a faff and a big set up cost, if you can live with 28mpg it's a waste of time and money (initially). Not to mention other problems it can cause with engines.

Edited by samdale (see edit history)

Do not ever lpg, it will cause valve regression and blow the headgasket be there got 2 t shirts.

You will get no more than 23 mpg but the cost is just over half so returning 40 ish mpg

Insurance will got up and you will need annual service for valid insurnace and no trips on the euro tunnel. Lpd band

Keep supra and buy an electric for work.

Just brought an ampera had it 4 months and haven't brought and petrol yet.

My fuel bill for a diesel doing 50mpg at£150 a month to £22 on electricity with no tax. Saving paid for the car.

More money to spend on the weekend car. Just don't tell the the wife.

Just buy a second car and keep the miles down.

I used to have Toyota Aristo with LPG installed, it was BRC kit with valve lubrication system. I used it daily and done 2 trips to Poland (2000 miles both ways). It is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper and if you are using your Supra as a daily run it will pay off after max 2 years and after that you only save money. It was running like a dream, never missied a bit, I was only switching it to petrol for spirited runs :)

My mates missus had a LPG corolla many years ago, we went from Northampton to Leeds and cost like 6 quid!!!! :rlol: and you could switch it over to petrol to.

I seen about 3 supras in the uk with it, but for me i can never do it as im aerotop and the boot space is reserved :D :(

If you're concerned about petrol costs, a Supra is not the car for you. Sell it, and buy something more economical.

If someone is using a Supra daily than obviously fuel costs will be an issue.

For those who's Supra rarely sees a road its clearly not an issue because you're not paying for fuel.

If someone is using a Supra daily than obviously fuel costs will be an issue.

For those who's Supra rarely sees a road its clearly not an issue because you're not paying for fuel.

I drove my Supra daily for ten years, to me personally fuel costs never concerned me in the slightest. Small change compared to the potential costs of maintaining the car.