The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota Killing off Diesels

ellis

Just watching the Geneva Show and Toyota's presentation - and they've just announced that they won't be producing and selling diesels anymore.

Where one leads, others follow.

Good luck selling those 2nd hand diesels soon - scrap value only!

Auris launched - just waiting for the 'MKV BMW thing' to get announced.

Boring presentation though, very boring!

Where one leads, others follow.

A friend works inside JLR, they've spent millions on creating truly efficient modern diesels that are not cheating. Can't see them wanting to write off that investment too quickly, although the way eco laws throughout the world are heading along with public opinion they might not have a choice.

A friend works inside JLR, they've spent millions on creating truly efficient modern diesels that are not cheating. Can't see them wanting to write off that investment too quickly, although the way eco laws throughout the world are heading along with public opinion they might night have a choice.

I think the move may be pushed by consumers, since diesel sales have declined quite a bit due to the VW scandal and future laws being implemented.

...although the way eco laws throughout the world are heading along with public opinion they might not have a choice.

Public opinion which is being based on knee-jerk reactions and bullshit reporting in the media.

They should be encouraging and incentivising the new generation of Euro 6 diesels, not killing them off before they get a foothold and making it more cost-effective for people to simply hang on to older, dirtier diesels for longer.

Public opinion which is being based on knee-jerk reactions and bullshit reporting in the media.

They should be encouraging and incentivising the new generation of Euro 6 diesels, not killing them off before they get a foothold and making it more cost-effective for people to simply hang on to older, dirtier diesels for longer.

Knee jerk reactions?

Those same knee jerk reactions that made millions of people buy diesels because governments and media said it was better for the environment but now have to pay out hundreds to drive in cities.

Having that engine banned in cities around Europe.

That knee jerk reaction?

the lost sheep syndrome I call it , consumers lied to and then screwed over again, same as the tax , I bet there are a load who have nbought small cars to avoid the road tax , again told to as itll save you money lol , only then after a few years get clobbered , I bet they are just laughing at the stupid public

I think the move may be pushed by consumers, since diesel sales have declined quite a bit due to the VW scandal and future laws being implemented.

Yup deffo agree here, the VW brand and their backing of diesel has done the technology no favours.

Toyota were never really into diesel in the same respect, they've always been petrol-electric advocates, so its no big shock they're moving on.

We'll wait and see who and where these cities ban diesel cars, and of what age/type. I don't have any sympathy with people who buy such cars and drive around cities anyway - I certainly don't - public transport all the way :)

I don't have any sympathy with people who buy such cars and drive around cities anyway - I certainly don't - public transport all the way :)

Funnily enough, most diesels I see are on the school run, which is generally less than 5 miles.

Many people were suckered into the myth that diesels are cheaper because of the MPG they “can” achieve.

Many people were suckered into the myth that diesels are cheaper because of the MPG they “can” achieve.

Yup, but that applies to most new cars, not just diesels, I think its well known most MPG figures across the board are hard to meet in real world driving tests - or simply BS! Similar with electric now.. I'm having the same thoughts based on the hybrid we have in the house hold not delivering what was hoped.

Knee jerk reactions? Those same knee jerk reactions that made millions of people buy diesels because governments and media said it was better for the environment but now have to pay out hundreds to drive in cities. Having that engine banned in cities around Europe. That knee jerk reaction?

Yeah, that kind of reaction, but it depends what you mean by "better for the environment". Diesels are better for the environment if you are only talking about CO2 emissions and global warming, which is pretty much all anyone has been talking about when it comes to vehicle emissions since 2009 when the framework for the EU CO2 limits was set out. Even though the entire German auto industry said the legislation would put them out of business, once it became clear that Brussels wasn't going to back down, the automakers just got on with it.

Thing is, most of the tech that got us to the 2012-2015 limits was already invented and on the bookshelf well before the legislation was even passed - probably by a decade or so. Its just that the automakers had no financial incentives to use it. The threat of fines from Brussels for not meeting CO2 targets cleared all that up. As well as more high tech petrol engines, diesels were a big part of this CO2 reduction strategy because the fines are calculated on an entire fleet basis, therefore selling more diesel cars lowers the entire fleet CO2 emissions.

There's no argument that diesels aren't better than petrol for CO2 emissions, so as diesels got more refined, it was an easy sell (even if you're not a "green" less CO2 = better MPG anyway, so its a win-win).

Diesel got a bad name overnight because of the VW scandal. However, the latest Euro 6 emissions limits are pretty much already in force and cars are already being phased in with the technology to lower NOx emissions. Particulates had already been steadily reduced and DPFs are pretty much standard fitment now, but there's still much more that can be done - and again a lot of this tech is ready and waiting.

The problem is that instead of a properly thought through strategy for year-on-year reduction like we had for CO2, diesels have become a populist issue and the public is demanding the government "be seen to be doing something". What they appear to be doing seems to be having the effect of killing the market for the new, cleaner diesels just as they are coming on the market, which seems a bit back to font to me.