The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cars that tempt

rider

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E90 335i seems like the nearest thing to a modern day Supra in terms of tuneability. Available with a strong 6 speed manual, a dct, and an auto gearbox, and in saloon, estate and coupe bodies. Bolt on a single turbo and make 700hp on stock internals.

And they're pretty affordable, and coming down in price. Seems like a winning combination to me :cool:

Think a clean, stock, low miles E46 M3 would be a good buy at the moment too, can see the prices for those soaring soon.

E90 335i seems like the nearest thing to a modern day Supra in terms of tuneability. Available with a strong 6 speed manual, a dct, and an auto gearbox, and in saloon, estate and coupe bodies. Bolt on a single turbo and make 700hp on stock internals.

Think a clean, stock, low miles E46 M3 would be a good buy at the moment too, can see the prices for those soaring soon.

This and the Audi S4 3-litre supercharged, with a MRC Stage 2 your getting 500bhp

Just sold my low mileage (55k) M3 today, 1 previous owner FBSH. Now time to buy A 2nd Supra :)

I’m always looking at cars I can’t afford, mainly m3’s followed by the 335i autovogue and then Audi s5 but deep down I know I would instantly regret selling the supra.

I think most people who have sold and no longer have a Supra in their life do suffer a yearning. I had that after selling my MkIII turbo until a few years later when I purchased my Mkiv.

Thing is today, more and more of us are parking up the Supra and I find the prospect of buying a ludicrous car like a Bentley GT a bit more appealing than probably I should. The prospect of wafting around in abject luxury for £20k may be something that I ultimately fail to resist. I know the wife wouldn't approve which only makes it even more appealing.

Both THE worst cars ever! a few mates have had them, in the garage more than on the road.

I would have to agree. I think it would ruin the ownership experience if you are wondering where the next big bill is coming from. I still can't get my head around why people buy cars, that could ultimately land them with the same amount of £££ in repairs.

I’m always looking at cars I can’t afford, mainly m3’s followed by the 335i autovogue and then Audi s5 but deep down I know I would instantly regret selling the supra.

I don't regret letting our Supra go at all. Gave 9 years to the marque and although I looked at other cars, I never organised a test drive for fear of falling in love with another. Since then I have found that other cars offer more fun and make you "want to go for a drive". I now have two cars that I would struggle to be without as I think they are so much fun. I miss the Supra as it was a beautiful car but I don't remember it making me giggle like the current ones do.

Variety is the spice of life.

H.

I would have to agree. I think it would ruin the ownership experience if you are wondering where the next big bill is coming from. I still can't get my head around why people buy cars, that could ultimately land them with the same amount of £££ in repairs.

H.

Totally agree but i keep ending up looking at SL Mercs even though i know it could bite me.

Sadly everything i like seems to have the potential for being costly to own.

Used to fancy Mitsi GTO'S and gulp Nissan 300ZX'S,but saw sense and bought a Supra.Really fancy a MK1 Honda NSX now what a car not a particularly fast by todays standards,but what presence.Also like Porsche 928,993 and 959's,Maserati 3.2 BMW old 6 series V10 and BMW 850's Audi R8 and American muscle cars.But I can't see any of these cars being as reliable as the Supra and it does draw attention wherever I go like petrol stations,supermarkets,people are always coming over for a chat,but it is red the best Supra colour and it is a NA ;)

I can't see any of these cars being as reliable as the Supra and it does draw attention wherever I go like petrol stations,supermarkets,people are always coming over for a chat,but it is red the best Supra colour and it is a NA ;)

I do really like red Supras, so its for sure the second best colour.

Totally agree but i keep ending up looking at SL Mercs even though i know it could bite me.

Sadly everything i like seems to have the potential for being costly to own.

It depends on 1) Can you afford to be the one that gets bitten and then sell it for market price. 2) Does the ownership experience and drive make a possible 5 figure bill worth it.?

I have never found such a car, although I am tighter than 2 coats of paint. Supra was a good reliable choice compared to others, RX7, 300ZX etc. Z4M has cost me next to nothing in servicing over 3 years as all the major services and brakes had been done (£2K bill). Now the Porsche is under warranty till 2019 but generally there aren't any reports of issues on forums from a car that is 5 years old, so I would have hoped there would be something posted if someone had been bitten.

I would speak to CW about SL Mercs as he slated them. I also just got an £1100 bill for a C Class with 32k miles on the clock. Not good cars from the looks of it.

H.

I would speak to CW about SL Mercs as he slated them. I also just got an £1100 bill for a C Class with 32k miles on the clock. Not good cars from the looks of it.

H.

CW has already mentioned what he thinks about Mercs which has kept me from buying one, i still

keep looking at them though :innocent:

CW has already mentioned what he thinks about Mercs which has kept me from buying one, i still

keep looking at them though :innocent:

Lol I think he says the same about range rovers yet have you not just restored one.

I own 3.6 tdv8 and have owned 5 other range rovers with out any problems just take chance you might be lucky

Lol I think he says the same about range rovers yet have you not just restored one.

I own 3.6 tdv8 and have owned 5 other range rovers with out any problems just take chance you might be lucky

A very good point but its better now than when LR through it together

I keep thinking the same regarding getting lucky, as you say some cars got out the factory better built than others

Quite like the BMW 435D M-sport x-drive coupe, would be a good daily.

Love the look of the M4 too but sat in one £75k with options and didn't feel special.

R35 GTR has a certain appeal but doesn't look anywhere near as good as Supra.

The current V8 Mustang. At some point I need a V8 with a sports exhaust in my life.

The new Mustang is quite a decent car, spent 10 days driving one in the states this year (2015 model) and was surprised by how well it went and handled. Interior is cheap crap and the rear seats are useless if you're over 5' tall, but it was a very pleasant thing to drive. I would buy one in a heartbeat if/when I move to the states. Controversially, I'd probably opt for the ecoboost and tune it up.

I really fancy a Porsche, was looking at the Cayman S recently as an entry level if you could call it that.

The only thing thats holding me back is the Engine problems I keep hearing about. :(

I assume you mean a 987 Cayman then? I don't find them that attractive in that shape. I have a 981 but there is a fair jump in price due to the age as they are 2013 onwards. Cayman OC is a good place to get info, bore scoring and IMS failures are not as common as you would think according to some.

H.