The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pulled by the police 6 points and £300 fine

sean17650199

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As mentioned if a summons does come through get some legal advise, also if they want to speak to your girlfriend it might be handy to get some before hand for that too. Depressing reading though mate.

Not true.

My policy on my car is policy holder only, but I'm covered to drive other cars as stated in my policy.

My policy, as policy holder means that I am covered fully comp in my car.

If I was to drive someone else's car it's only third party insurance.

So of course I can have a block that doesn't allow people to drive my car third party only as my car then isn't insured at all for anything.

By your logic you cant drive other peoples car because they have that same "block" on you because the majority of cars are insured on the car not the driver. You've just contradicted yourself... The block you refer to is you, you must allow the other person drive your car and trust them as driving other peoples cars is third party only (even you). E.g. if your girlfriend/wife (not named on your policy) borrowed your car, stopped at friends house, car was robbed and burned out then your policy has no onus on it because your girlfriend was in charge of the vehicle and neither does hers as it is third party only.

As mentioned if a summons does come through get some legal advise, also if they want to speak to your girlfriend it might be handy to get some before hand for that too. Depressing reading though mate.

By your logic you cant drive other peoples car because they have that same "block" on you because the majority of cars are insured on the car not the driver. You've just contradicted yourself... The block you refer to is you, you must allow the other person drive your car and trust them as driving other peoples cars is third party only (even you). E.g. if your girlfriend/wife (not named on your policy) borrowed your car, stopped at friends house, car was robbed and burned out then your policy has no onus on it because your girlfriend was in charge of the vehicle and neither does hers as it is third party only.

No I haven't contradicted myself.

If my policy didn't say policy holder only, like on my daily car, then others can drive that with permission from me, likewise I can drive theirs third party if the insurance allows it.

I can drive theirs third party if the insurance allows it.

Sure you can, the requirements vary but its basically once the car isn't owned by you, hired, you have permission, is otherwise insured (i.e. the owner and policy-holder of the policy on the car:p) and is roadworthy. Vice versa the same way they can drive your car unless your insurance policy is some weird ass thing thats the way it is....and im out.

For what its worth because of this thread I thought I would double check to see if I was insured to drive another car third party through my supra policy. I phoned up Zenith insurance and was told that they do not allow anyone to drive any other car third party no matter what age you are or what level of insurance cover that you have. Big surprise to me as I just assumed at being 40 years old and fully comp that this would be included. Not sure if other insurance companies are the same but anyone who is with Zenith double check that you are insured....

yes you do need to triple check policies.

Some don't have any clause

Some have a clause where the other car has to have it's own insurance policy in place (so you need to 100% trust/check this is the case - not always easy)

Some have the old clause where you are simply covered regardless (ie you could say move a random persons car without fear of prosecution)

yes you do need to triple check policies.

Some don't have any clause

Some have a clause where the other car has to have it's own insurance policy in place (so you need to 100% trust/check this is the case - not always easy)

Some have the old clause where you are simply covered regardless (ie you could say move a random persons car without fear of prosecution)

some companies don't allow you to drive another car at all. Even if the second car has an insurance policy I still cant drive it. The only way I can drive a second car is to be a named driver on the policy...

• 1 year later...

Well after over a year, 10 court cases and a load of time wasting the case is finally over no charges no points and nothing on record all because they finally decided that she wasn’t my partner because we were not legally married haha absolute joke it took them a year to come to this conclusion I’m just glad my license stays clean

Good result nice to see somebody stand up for themselves

So I cannot drive my wife’s or fathers car on my fully comp policy although it states I can and any car as long as it’s insured I think that would stand up in a court of law as they are not my cars.

Well after over a year, 10 court cases and a load of time wasting the case is finally over no charges no points and nothing on record all because they finally decided that she wasn’t my partner because we were not legally married haha absolute joke it took them a year to come to this conclusion I’m just glad my license stays clean

/QUOTE]

Wow....just....wow.

Wan*ers. My brother got done for driving his uninsured lexus isf to the lexus garage where he works. He was using his Lexus trade plates. Car was being taken for a check up ready for sale and they pulled him for supposably having no insurance. They threatened to take his trade plates but impounded his car instead. He rolled over and just accepted it but I think he's been shafted by a pair of coppers with no clue

Absolute madness, but thanks for the update as could help others who may get caught up like this :thumbs:

Me and the missus ended up going the named driver route on each others policies after my insurance said that I could only drive other cars 3rd party providing it was not owned by the policy holder and not registered at our address. I guess its to stop couples using the 3rd party insurance rule to be able to drive one another's cars.

Only added an extra £30 total between both policies. Money well spent in my mind.

Unless your driving and old banger I think you’d be mad to drive a car that your partner owns without being a named driver ... either that or you’ve got thousands of pounds lying about ! As it states you are insured third party so the car you are driving gets repaired at your expense.

Wan*ers. My brother got done for driving his uninsured lexus isf to the lexus garage where he works. He was using his Lexus trade plates. Car was being taken for a check up ready for sale and they pulled him for supposably having no insurance. They threatened to take his trade plates but impounded his car instead. He rolled over and just accepted it but I think he's been shafted by a pair of coppers with no clue

/QUOTE]

Trade plates are for road tax mate.

Nothing to do with insurance. And if he is on the business policy and owns the vehicle he is driving then that usually has to be specifically named on the policy as there are usually limits to how many "own vehicles" that policy will cover.

The earlier nonsense about "Named driver only" is in reference to who is insured to cover damage on the car - if someone has third party cover to drive other vehicles then any damage to that other persons car is not covered, but they are legally allowed to drive it if they have that owners permission. Al is waaaay wide of the mark lol

Madness that its taken this long for common sense to prevail after wasting all this tax payers cash on such pettyness, shame on them !!

J.