The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1996 Single Turbo 6 speed

Steve

After 13 years of ownership the time has come to sell my Supra, its just not getting the use it deserves anymore. With ongoing back issues I cant see it getting used anytime soon either.

Not everything is perfect on the car and there would be things I would change if I was keeping it but I cannot justify spending anymore on it now.

More details can be found on my Project Thread - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?192783-Steve-s-Project-thread

The car is located Northampton.

Not really sure on price, but looking at £21k.

1996 Toyota Supra Single Turbo (Orignally Twin Turbo) - 50k miles.

Engine Specifications:

• CP Pistons (86.5mm), Carillo H beam Rods, ARP Head/Main Bolts, Whifbitz Ported and polished head with 1mm oversized Supertech Valves, Titan Camgears, Shimless buckets, SRD 280 In/Ex Cams, Titan Billet timing belt tensioner, Gates Kevlar timing belt, Greddy (copy) intake manifold, Corvette DBW throttle body, Blitz 3 Row FMIC, HKS SSQ BOV, 72 degree thermostat. Engine built by TLicense.

Turbocharger & Induction:

• Whifbitz Dual wastegate exhaust manifold, Twin Turbosmart 40mm Wastegates, BoostLab BL366-HF turbo.

Fuel, Tuning & ECU:

• TTE Top Feed Fuel Rail, Bosch 1000cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, -8 Fuel lines, Twin Walbro Fuel Pumps, Syvecs ECU, NGK Race Plugs, Mapped by Ryan.G @ 2bartuning

Exhaust:

• Custom 4" System with 2 silencers and a cut out valve to bypass the rear silencer.

Drivetrain:

• V160 6 speed gearbox, Syvecs Traction Control, OS Giken RC3 clutch, OS Giken Diff with solid mounts. (around 2000 miles on this clutch)

Suspension, Wheels, Tires & Brakes:

• HSD Coilovers, R2 Suspension bushes, 18" Rota Force Wheels in Gunmetal, KAD 6 pot brakes, Hurst Line Lock. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tyres - 1000 miles old

Interior

• Evo seats with Bride Sliding rails, Snap off Momo steering wheel, Toucan display, Alpine head unit, Laserline CAT1 alarm immobiliser.

Exterior:

• UK Bonnet vent, Aeromotive bonnet catches, HID front lighting.

Performance:

• 821 rhhp / 644 ftlb @ 1.9 bar

There is currently no MOT in place but this will be sorted before selling.

I am still sorting through the paperwork I have and will add some images of it as I get it toghether.

I cant really get any better images due to having no insurance on the car currently (or MOT). For the MOT i will probably get it trailored.

Bad bits: 1st gear occasionally crunches when selecting, on the last DB I went on, it didnt do it at all. Stone chip on bonnet next to scoop, I would probably change to some Vibratech diff mounts if I was keeping it just to reduce the noise on longer drives. The clutch does take some getting used to, it can be a pain on longer stop/start drives (I do have all the parts other than the clutch/flywheel to change back to a push type clutch if needed), if keeping I would sell this clutch and change it to something like a HKS LA unit. I noticed a slight graze on the NSF alloy (probably a DB war wound), I can get this repaired if needed. There are marks on the paintwork, but with the age now this I feel is to be expected. I would sort out the sub woofer, this was a temporary box which has just stayed there since.

I would rather sell as it is but if needs must I would break it up for parts. (Just will take a while).

Any questions please ask.

It may be cheap,but if its got a 1st gear engagement crunch on occasion, with the best will in the world, it isnt a 100% healthy V160.

Yep, agreed, but they aren't making any more Supra MKIVs and, to a club of this nature, a crunching first gear is not really that much of an issue. It may have a price affiliated to the repair but not equivalent to say £5-7,000.00

It's not long ago when a car valued at £27,000 would sell for £21,000 because of the perceived inconvenience of said car having a £1,000 repair bill to help make it function properly again. Not these days, no sir; if a Supra is worth £27,000 these days in a tip-top state then where a repair of say £1,000 is needed to fix it then the new asking price reflects the reduction in the repair and that's about it.

The Supra is going up in value and I have a hunch that it will become a true iconic piece of car history in the future, therefore, the prices will most likely reflect this change.

Yep, agreed, but they aren't making any more Supra MKIVs and, to a club of this nature, a crunching first gear is not really that much of an issue. It may have a price affiliated to the repair but not equivalent to say £5-7,000.00

It's not long ago when a car valued at £27,000 would sell for £21,000 because of the perceived inconvenience of said car having a £1,000 repair bill to help make it function properly again. Not these days, no sir; if a Supra is worth £27,000 these days in a tip-top state then where a repair of say £1,000 is needed to fix it then the new asking price reflects the reduction in the repair and that's about it.

The Supra is going up in value and I have a hunch that it will become a true iconic piece of car history in the future, therefore, the prices will most likely reflect this change.

I agree with And1c.

The OP's car is stunning, and with a perfect gearbox could conceivably be worth £26k, maybe. But it doesn't have a perfect gearbox, and although the OP says it isn't getting worse, I assume he isnt going to offer any sort of warranty? Therefore, if the OP isn't willing to have the box repaired, you'd have to factor in the cost of a replacement box or getting a rebuild, which is going to be circa £4k either way.

So I think he priced it perfectly to start with :)

If I were the OP, I think I would be sourcing a known good box and having it fitted, then sell off the old box (he'll still get 3k ish for it), so will probably net a grand or two over selling as is.

I agree that prices are on the rise, but you cant base a cars price now, on what it may be worth in the future!!

1st gear crunch - see point one on here https://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/clutch-drag-kills-synchros

Essentially it will need a rebuild at some point, and seeing as parts are almost NLA for these boxes now, that wont be easy to sort? Jacks transmissions are not accepting any V160s for rebuilds due to parts issues, or so it says here https://www.jackstransmissions.com/collections/supra-v160-rebuild-options/products/stage-1-v160

So I think the current price is a fair one , but fair play if it sells for more. It is all about market demand, so if it is there it will still sell for more regardless of the box crunch