The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Audi TT

brassbones

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My other half has just sold her ST205. I would NOT recommend them as a track day car. The superstrut suspension can be expensive and troublesome and items such as clutches are not cheap to buy or replace.

I'm after something that will do 35mpg (all driving avg) and is interesting to drive and pleasing to look at.

The 1.8 TT ticks those boxes but one of my mates had one and I ribbed him mercilessly over it being a handbag on wheels!!! It's a quandary :tongue:

Yeah exactly bit of a balancing act which to buy, Ford Puma?

The wife's got a 2 litre TT and she loves it, she drives it like a maniac and has the points to prove it, luckily I saw the light and took her off my trader's policy... Window winder cables can go, genuine parts are a fortune, I fitted a pattern one and it's been fine, although fiddly to fit and i broke the speaker cover doing it. They are about £35 so it will be glued. The rear hatch parcel tray is an appalling design and breaks for fun. Parts to fix are well over £150, so that too will be glued... Other than service parts, window winder and a caliper it's been 100% reliable. Pulls like a train with the high compression turbo engine with one piece manifold / turbine housing, you'd think it was a diesel. Put it in 6th gear at 30MPH and it will pull away quite strongly. Understeers, but it's a flawed FWD car, so no surprises there. I think it sups fuel, my Volvo 3 litre does more to the gallon, but there again she never seems to remember it has 6 gears, so goes for miles in 4th.... Rides like a board on stock suspension and optional 18 inch wheels, I would definitely go for taller profile tyres, they'd help traction too. I think they come un optioned on 17 inch rims. You can't (apparently) fully turn off traction control, if you turn it off and get wheel spin over about 20 MPH it comes on again. Seems well built.

I have been in a friend's 4WD one with a bigger turbo, fully mapped on Motec, with mapped semi auto box, and it's breathtaking, no MKIV would keep near it on average roads. Audi do some nice competition bits for them as they do a factory race version, if you have deep pockets and fancy something radical.

I am quite impressed by it, top end gets breathless, but in normal use there's zero turbo lag and it progresses very smartly. Should have been RWD though, I couldn't live with a FWD car myself. They are just so WRONG ;) She test drove a Cayenne, the TT won hands down, the Porsche was dreadful, bad brakes, wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, noisy as hell inside, and the worry of that engine shaft bearing going with attendant £!000's cost made it a no brainer. I work on enough Porsches to believe they are over hyped with some appalling issues. She is talking of selling it and buying a newer TT, so she must like it.

I'll retract the above - just had another look at them and your mate will enact serious revenge.

Hahahaha! I might as well be having the piss taken out of me for a TT!

Some great posts here guys. I bet if I posted on the TT forum (if there is one! lol) that I was pondering a MKIV a few would be asking me where my Burberry tracky was and collection of old Max Power mags :D

"Call me a nonce, I don't care" .... this is where I'm going wrong I think.

Everything tells me its a decent idea ... except for the repair bills ... and the fact that everyone will point and laugh ... and call me a nonce :blink:

I'm destined to be stuck with the Ford X-day-oh :(

Such is the price of perceived masculinity :) I think unless it's a soft top TT and you don't wear make up you

should get away with a TT if you park away from wine bars and hair dressing salons...

Could these not bee made rwd seeing as the do a quattro version?

Custom prop to remove centre haldex diff, remove front driveshafts, and you technically have a rwd TT. But will the rear diff cope? It's not designed for permanent AWD, never mind all of the torque going to the rear. Then you have to replace the engine / transmission management with something suitable.

Oh crap ... I was slowly moving away from the precipice and this article has just propelled me over the edge!!! I guess it could be claimed that this is a bit of an indulgent daily given I have a MK4 for the fun miles?

I needed to replace my daily driver recently and went to look at some TT's.

For me I wanted something newer (don't like the old bubble shape) and Quattro which meant spend £15k plus. I was appalled at the state of the used ones I saw at various dealerships. In the end I decided that if I was to replace the Supra then I'd go the route of CW's friend - turbo modified, SMG box, all the toys. I decided to respray the Supra.

Also I really like the new ones with the LED dash, maybe wait for those to be a better price next year.

I could go and get myself a new executive Audi/BMW or whatever, but quite frankly I'd rather keep the money in the bank. I've come to realise unless you're doing a lot of miles and want comfort, then cars are a complete waste of money status symbols.

As it was, I just wanted something fun and reliable to get to work in so I got a 2010 MX5 with electric hard top with low miles for just £8k from Mazda dealership with warranty. It's BRILLIANT fun, just right for our country and A roads. Space is a limitation though....

Call me a nonce, I don't care, I would like on of the Clubsport versions.....

Oh yes! Very nice. :D