The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it just me or have supra headlights more than doubled in price recently?

and1c

Can someone post a pici of the facelift headlights, presumably the plastic lens will be the same as the pre facelift and just the reflector/lens different?

Back on the subject of prices increasing IMO if our cars are becomming more sought after and more valuable throughout the globe, then the spare parts will increase in cost.

It is not nice what Toyota have done, but as someone has explained, their ecconomy of scale on the number required has probably forced them into this, anyway, at the end of the day, like most things, this comes back to how much money you have.

Can someone post a pici of the facelift headlights, presumably the plastic lens will be the same as the pre facelift and just the reflector/lens different?

Back on the subject of prices increasing IMO if our cars are becomming more sought after and more valuable throughout the globe, then the spare parts will increase in cost.

It is not nice what Toyota have done, but as someone has explained, their ecconomy of scale on the number required has probably forced them into this, anyway, at the end of the day, like most things, this comes back to how much money you have.

The plastic lense is different. There are lots of lines in the pre facelift ones, and far fewer in facelift. But if you mean are they interchangeable, I think they are. Unlike the glass ones, which aren't interchangeable with either.

Brand new facelift lights

'facelifted' pre facelift light, showing the difference in the lenses

The actual design of the insides of the lights differes too, the Facelifts looking simpler and neater.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

With the costs increasing, and most likely continuing to do so as demand out grows supply, would the cost of laser scanning the headlight into a 3d CAD file be more appealing in the long term?

Surely a decent CAD company could solve the clear lense return lip issue by modifying the outer casing and producing a one piece lense with return lip?

A durable mold for the clear lense could be made (with the lense being vac formed as opposed to injection molded) and the outer casing 3d printed.

As the use of laser scanning and 3d printing become more popular costs should decrease in a competitive market.

Edited by Angarak (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
So what is the best place to buy facelift headlights at the moment?

I'm still waiting on a quote from my local dealer. In de USA they are cheaper, but shipping is expensive (roughly $300). After import they are more exepensive than Whifbitz.

Are the ones from the US right or left hand drive?

Was speaking to my Toyota parts guy today, price increases are because of changes in Suppliers/Producers of parts, he used Avensis as an example, lights were 80 and are now 250 down to changes of suppliers who make them not to running low on stock, Toyota arnt stupid, Supra headlights must sell all the time so i doubt they will stop making them any time soon due how well they have sold

Wow! Just saw the price difference between rhd and lhd headlights, I'm considering converting a rhd set. This should be pretty easy.

Are you in the USA or uk?

I have glass, facelift rhd and prefacelift new on shelf.... I can get the lhd ones in too if needed...