The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broke down, need advice on why?

a98pmalcolm

Because bottom line its just a car, like any other?

Hope you get it sorted mate

Yeh but it's not just a car is it. These single turbo supras are built to be driven not cruise hundreds of miles down the motorway, I don't see the point in that. I know they can cruise hundreds of miles etc but why would you want too? If you're clearly trying to save fuel you might as well just do that in a more comfortable car built for that which returns good mpg and leave the supra in the garage. It's all my opinion of course.

Yeh but it's not just a car is it. These single turbo supras are built to be driven not cruise hundreds of miles down the motorway, I don't see the point in that. I know they can cruise hundreds of miles etc but why would you want too? If you're clearly trying to save fuel you might as well just do that in a more comfortable car built for that which returns good mpg and leave the supra in the garage. It's all my opinion of course.

Yes but the point is you can/should be able to drive these cars long distance with no issues. I've done a 7 hour round trip in my Supra, absolutely no issues, and it should be the same for the OP or any of us owners. Except maybe those who built it purely as track/drag. Apart from that, why have a street car if you can't drive it for longer than 2 hours on the street?! Lol

Yes but the point is you can/should be able to drive these cars long distance with no issues. I've done a 7 hour round trip in my Supra, absolutely no issues, and it should be the same for the OP or any of us owners. Except maybe those who built it purely as track/drag. Apart from that, why have a street car if you can't drive it for longer than 2 hours on the street?! Lol

Agreed

I've built mine especially to be driven hundreds of miles in one go on European road trips, comfortably and reliably. :) I did over 900 miles in one day in my Supra on stock twins, and if anything I am expecting my single to be more reliable than stock turbos, given the reduction in problematic parts.

I've built mine especially to be driven hundreds of miles in one go on European road trips, comfortably and reliably. :) I did over 900 miles in one day in my Supra on stock twins, and if anything I am expecting my single to be more reliable than stock turbos, given the reduction in problematic parts.

If it was driven the same and with the same power you might have a chance :D generally they aren't though, so while the turbo system is simplified the extra stresses tend to find there way elsewhere which can effect reliability.

What I'm intrigued about is a lean mode, vs standard mode, it just seems counter intuitive to have a perfectly safe lean mode that you can use for getting about, if that's the case what's the point of the standard mode?

That lean mode seems like snake oil to me like. Truth is a healthy engine should pass emissions with no catalytic converter no problem. If it needs a "lean mode " to pass emissions i would think its masking another issue tbh. Just my thoughts

Any car is built to be driven regardless of how many miles or time, look at dragoonball I don't know the miles driven but must be well over 1500 for some? The supra is more of a GT car? So long distance travel should be fine?

To the OP sounds like a tough week, worst year this year too but always be positive, hope you sort the car out and its a simple fix :)

That lean mode seems like snake oil to me like. Truth is a healthy engine should pass emissions with no catalytic converter no problem. If it needs a "lean mode " to pass emissions i would think its masking another issue tbh. Just my thoughts

/QUOTE]

It dont matter how healthy an engine is, with no cats it WILL fail a emission test.

/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about that, I think a brand new car with no cats might struggle re C0 readings, so I get the lean mode to pass emissions. For me it's like if I can go to the other end of the country in lean mode, why use other modes? But lean mode must push the safety limits of a standard map that has headroom, and therefore in certain circumstances lean mode might be compromised? Out of my area of knowledge but even with knock etc sensors safeguarding the engine over a sustained run can this create an issue. I hope, especially after all the recent bodywork tidying it's a minor thing :)

Oh ok.

Lol im not trying to be a dick but really if you think about it the limits are extremely liberal. Most cars with a cat are well well below it and therefore it stands to reason that a car without one should still have no issue passing it. That and I myself have put about 10 cars through with no cats and all have passed emissions and I know of 2 other supras in NI, one with serious mods and one BPU level both passed without a cat. The visual inspection is aomething else entirely but from an emissions POV it should pass no issue

Guest Budz86

That depends, I have 272 cams and a 110mm TB in mine and for it to idle smoothly, it needed more fuel and it sits at about 1500 rpm once warm. My car doesn't have to pass a fast idle test either and my engine is freshly built, no cats but a couple of weeks ago it struggled through the emissions.

As for lean mode, mine has been set up as a lean cruise on the syvecs, same as most I'd imagine. The syvecs will basically target a leaner AFR whilst you're below a given throttle percentage, once you exceed that it defaults to the normal fuel map, albeit you can set it up to target lower boost too I think. Bottom line is, if it's kept in lean cruise on a motorway, even if you suddenly boot it, the engine is perfectly safe. As for higher cylinder/egt temps, yes you will naturally get them compared to normal fueling but if you have an egt fitted, syvecs will adjust for it if things get too hot

Some people obviously can't read haha. I said I know these cars can do long distance trips the point I was making is why would you want to use a 750hp car to drive hundreds of miles at 70-80mph on a lean mode clearly trying to save on fuel. This doesn't make sense to me when you can just go and hire a car.

Guest Budz86

To be fair, I wouldn't be able to help myself on a motorway, but it's handy to have at times. Just means I can drive further without filling up! Lol. Plus, handy on DB when I empty the tank and can't be arsed to find any vpower!

Absolutely, but it is an extra level of protection, and has saved a few forum members cars from being blown, Inc JCBT and JamieP.

And me once. One of my two pumps failed the syvecs stopped me from boosting the car, if it didn't bye bye engine.

Lol im not trying to be a $#@! but really if you think about it the limits are extremely liberal. Most cars with a cat are well well below it and therefore it stands to reason that a car without one should still have no issue passing it. That and I myself have put about 10 cars through with no cats and all have passed emissions and I know of 2 other supras in NI, one with serious mods and one BPU level both passed without a cat. The visual inspection is aomething else entirely but from an emissions POV it should pass no issue

/QUOTE]

I'm running zero cats on my '96 and won't have a hope in hell of passing an emissions test. Standing idle test for pre-96 you might get away with it but 96 onwards on the stricters regulations, nae chance. I'll have to lean out my map to get it through.