The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do other motorists stereotype supra owners?

herbiemercman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've also only had positive comments and general interest, never really had a negative comment, but also had lots of people wanting/trying to race :thumbs:

Although this one bloke who tried racing me in his GTI (he did not win) nearly knocked me out when I saw him at the next car meet. He was probably in his 40s and his buddy literally had to hold him back from hitting me! I thought he's either pissed because he lost a race or just because I was a young bloke with a Supra... That's probably the worst experience I've ever had 'Supra-related' :D

Hi formatzero's i love your sexist comment, said like a true Scot.

Hi Pete, The "RS" badge has been removed last week but i used to tell onlookers it was the "Rally Supra" only a few ever made, manual close ratio box, limited slip diff, single T70 Garret turbo, Emange ECU, Koni shocks, stage 4 clutch, etc, etc, they loved it, so did i, now i have taken the badge off, the car is a "Wolf in sheeps clothing". lol. Herbie.

Girls tend to think of them as being quite vulgar, and you do get plenty of attention off people you would rather not.

I took mine to a charity breakfast meeting at a local classic Porsche dealership. There were hundreds of cars there, including an Aventador SV, a couple of Mclarens, the odd Ferrari, Aston, Porsches etc, and I had loads of people come and have a drool over the car, and everyone I spoke to loved it :cool: I think what people liked the most was that it is clean and stock looking. Obviously heavily kitted cars will continue to have a stigma attached, but it think people are starting to take nice Supras a bit more seriously now.

I had a range of people old to young tell me they liked mine, and the odd dickhead ask why it has a whale tail.

Personally I couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks, and didn't at the time want the same generic car as most other on the road. Minus having an embarrassingly slow NA, I loved it.

The only downside with the NA's is a lack of power, and poor fuel consumption, and the fact that too many cars like Seat Leon Cupra's etc can give them a run for/beat them.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a range of people old to young tell me they liked mine, and the odd dickhead ask why it has a whale tail.

Personally I couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks, and didn't at the time want the same generic car as most other on the road. Minus having an embarrassingly slow NA, I loved it.

The only downside with the NA's is a lack of power, and poor fuel consumption, and the fact that too many cars like Seat Leon Cupra's etc can give them a run for/beat them.

Hi Chris, That's a bad situation re the amount some motorists drink and then drive. I have always had a two pint limit, everything i do relies on my driving licence, i know many think about their licence and forget about killing or injuring some one. When i was in engineering i lost 4 of my best Engineers through drink driving, and even where their wives offered to drive them around , it was a strict company rule and the Personel Department insisted i dismissed them.

Yorkshire police have a scheme running which encourages people to report anyone they see leaving the pub to drive that have had too much to drink, and on conviction the person who reported them get £1,000 tax free from "Crime Stoppers". I could never shop anyone like this and some are friends and relations who do it !

My hobby apart from cars is trekking and last week end we were in Scotland, the drink drive limit there is only 30cl, not 80cl as we have, so we had to be careful how much we drank in the evening as most drivers there are caught in the morning. May not be long before England takes on the 30cl limit. Herbie.

in Scotland, the drink drive limit there is only 30cl, not 80cl as we have, so we had to be careful how much we drank in the evening as most drivers there are caught in the morning. May not be long before England takes on the 30cl limit. Herbie.

Not sure what units you're using but there is certainly no volumetric measure of how much 1 person can drink and still be under. https://www.gov.uk/drink-drive-limit

I've known big blokes with a "2 pint rule" get caught out. Doesn't matter how good you think you are at holding your booze, how fast you think your metabolism is or how much you've had to eat. I'd be willing to bet the majority of men would be over the limit having had 2 pints.

For me it's one or the other. If I'm going out and know I'm driving home, it's coke all night. Much prefer that than having a pint and then switching, just not worth it (the risk or the enjoyment of the one pint).

Hi samdale, I have a breath tester and so does my friend, we some times check the calibration with each other, we don't have a problem, i understand what you are saying, but it is every one to their own, i have used my 2 pints rule for many years,also it is real ale circa 3.4%, not lager at more like 5%. The real drink drivers who have forced the UK law on drink driving would laugh at my 2 pint rule.Herbie.

I had a local kid come up to me in the shop the other day, must have been about 11. He went "Mr, why did you by an automatic Supra? My dad says it's crap and his skyline would smoke you!"

Pretty sure you live 4 doors up and your dad drives a 99' Clio, but whatever. LOL

Anyways, it's in getting a manual box in now you wee ballroot. :D

I had a local kid come up to me in the shop the other day, must have been about 11. He went "Mr, why did you by an automatic Supra? My dad says it's crap and his skyline would smoke you!"

Pretty sure you live 4 doors up and your dad drives a 99' Clio, but whatever. LOL

Anyways, it's in getting a manual box in now you wee ballroot. :D

Had something similar when I was at a Shelsley Walsh meetup, some kids looking in the car going "Why would you ever get this car in automatic? Owner must be stupid!"

Owner deliberately changed to auto 4 months prior! :D

Oh, and: "The front wheels are smaller than the back, that's wrong!"