The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wanted: A nice Turbo Supra, Preferably Manual.

BoostJunky86

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, given your requirements there's no point looking in Japan, you won't find what you want. All single turbo cars over there will have gauges etc, most will have mismatched seats.

As you will have found, cars do occasionally pop up in the UK, you'll need to either jump on one of those or start approaching owners with a strong offer.

Yeah your rights know

I don't mind changing basics removing gauges or swapping seats. Realistically all things can be swapped.

Just don't see the point in buying something knowing I'll have to change loads of that makes sense.

In no real rush but would be nice to have one.

btw, I'm not sure if you're aware, but there are currently some pretty major issues with the 6 speed gearboxes.

Toyota / Getrag have stopped producing them now, so new ones can't be bought. The last remaining new one I'm aware of is for sale for £6500... (a well known forum member bought a 6 speed TT for over £1k less than that a few years ago! :D)

In addition, the prices of used boxes have become ridiculous, a broken one just sold on here for just under £3k (just the box). Good ones are circa £3500- £4000.

They are very strong boxes, but they're not unbreakable, and the older they get the more likely failure will become. There is a company called Jacks transmissions in the US who can rebuild them, *if* they can get the parts, but even then it may cost £3k including shipping, maybe more.

Another option would be to buy a nice single turbo auto and have it converted to a BMW DCT gearbox / paddleshifters by Whifbitz. Similar power handling to the 6 speed, but much faster gearchanges, less transmission losses, better economy etc, and used boxes can be had from £500.

btw, I'm not sure if you're aware, but there are currently some pretty major issues with the 6 speed gearboxes.

Toyota / Getrag have stopped producing them now, so new ones can't be bought. The last remaining new one I'm aware of is for sale for £6500... (a well known forum member bought a 6 speed TT for over £1k less than that a few years ago! :D)

In addition, the prices of used boxes have become ridiculous, a broken one just sold on here for just under £3k (just the box). Good ones are circa £3500- £4000.

They are very strong boxes, but they're not unbreakable, and the older they get the more likely failure will become. There is a company called Jacks transmissions in the US who can rebuild them, *if* they can get the parts, but even then it may cost £3k including shipping, maybe more.

Another option would be to buy a nice single turbo auto and have it converted to a BMW DCT gearbox / paddleshifters by Whifbitz. Similar power handling to the 6 speed, but much faster gearchanges, less transmission losses, better economy etc, and used boxes can be had from £500.

Very much I guess a common problem with cars getting older.

But I do feel a manual is what is want.

But defo something to think about.

Something will come up I like im sure.

Very much I guess a common problem with cars getting older.

But I do feel a manual is what is want.

But defo something to think about.

Something will come up I like im sure.

Just so long as you know, didn't want you buying a car, and then end up breaking the gearbox and having a heart attack when you seen the gearbox prices :D

I am putting my Supra up for sale - I just need to write the advert for it.

In short:

• 1997 VVTi engine
  • V161 6 speed box
  • 202 black
  • Stock bumpers and OEM skirts
  • OEM 17" wheels in black
  • Carbon rear diffuser
  • HKS Kansai carbon front lip
  • GReddy T88-34D single turbo kit (~20k miles on turbo kit)
  • Trust 4" FMIC
  • HKS LA Twin Clutch (only 2k miles on it)
  • Defi DSSC digital dash with multiple gauges integrated
  • Recaro SR5 seats
  • Tein Superstreet coilovers
  • UK Spec 4 pot/2 pot brakes
  • Rolled front arches and flared rear arches (used to have CCWs on it so wanted sufficient clearance)
  • Imported by JM-Imports in 2013

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12108795_551394257723_617671677921891084_n.jpg?oh=b704b631ab9a03dc058a9190d6d807ec&oe=57BE4478

(It has a plate and OEM mount, that was just photoshopped out :D)

I'll be after £23k ONO for it. :thumbs:

I may consider offers on mine. But I would be looking for offers on the later end of the mentioned budget.

Meets all of your specs listed. The supra is a recent Single turbo, 660bhp, manual v161 6 speed in white. All work done by whifbitz and mapped by Ryan from syvecs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]211001[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]211002[/ATTACH]

Message me if it's of any interest.

• 1 month later...

I maybe persuaded to sell mine once its out the body shop and had its full respray. Lots of new parts on it (head lights, side lights, windscreen, seals, wings, boot rubbers), stock body with TRD and front lip, V161, hybrid twins running TTC, syvecs. Can also include a full big twin set up aswell thats ready to go on and see 750+ with a remap and a few little things. IF your interested then drop me a message

Have you considered Marc's single aerotop? I know he was looking to sell at one point, it may be worth sending him a pm. Great spec in my opinion, single conversion with a modern kit, aerotop, v161, facelift etc

1997 Facelift Aerotop BorgWarner S366 Single V161 6 Speed ***Now accepting offers***

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=326927

Honest if I didn't have mine already I'd have snapped Marc ls aerotop.

Good luck with your search :)

Thanks guy's, but mine is now firmly not for sale :), all booked in at SRD and then to get resprayed, should be perfect, just as summer is coming to an end :D

Was never sure I wanted an AeroTop after hearing of the 'wobble'

But it does look nice!

Don't worry about that, I have had Turbos and N/A's in both tin top and targa, once the roof is bolted down, there is no difference, if you are going 10/10 on a track, you may pick something up but after years of road use in both(back to back), I can't pick up any wobble, take the roof off and you can feel it, but it's not that bad, drive a convertible Audi if you want to experience truly horrific scuttle shake :D

Tbh I have my eye on 3 cars at the moment. So getting close. Just have to try and work out which is the best value car now.

Budget dropped a bit with the wedding coming up but hopefully next few weeks will see me behind the wheel of a Supra.

Trying to go through specs. What bits I want, what they have for future plans but most importantly the quality of the base car itself. Best looked after etc. Been stung in the past vying modded cars so being extra careful this time!

Fingers crossed

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.