The mkiv Supra Owners Club

When will people start refitting original alloy wheels?

rider

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine has always run on stock or stock sized wheels and original tire sizes, I did try a larger rear tire but it completely messed up the handling so went back to stock.

Same here. Since I damaged a set of Blitz 17's in 2004 I started using OEM wheels. I've had them on my TT, single, NA and new TT. Love the way it drives on them and when I've tried larger diameter wheels or wider tyre's it's always detracted from the handling (even with the geometry corrected). I've now got 3 sets of them!

A classy set of 18/19in wheels really do modernise the look of the Supra though :)

I've still got the stock 16s on my silver sup but it is completely stock body where as if I put them on my black one which just has the oem body kit they just don't look right, another good point to keeping the original wheels is that if you get a puncture out on the road somewhere you can just throw the space saver on without worrying about having 2 different sized wheels on the same axel which cant do the diff any good. A mate of mine found this out the hard way with a wee kangoo van with 17" alloys he got a flat on the front (FWD) and just stuck the stock 14" spare on and buggered up the gearbox!

On the size and handling question... WHAT makes the handling better with stock wheels? Higher tire sidewall? Higher ET? Correct width? (235 front 255 rear on a stock TT)

My wheels are close to stock (stock width, ET 40, and 18") so I can't complain, but I was wondering. If someone could explain!

I have posted on this loads of times, but basically an ultra low profile tyre needs a very sophisticated suspension to keep it flat to the ground in roll, lift, squat and with caster induced camber change kept modest. The MKIV is too old to have such suspension and like many cars of that era or older do not take well to a low profile tyre with little sidewall flex. Those cars with little to no suspension travel, be it from stupidly high spring rates, or being run on their bump stops tend to negate these issues, but bring in issues of their own, like a pitiful lack of traction and alarming mechanical loads being induced into suspension members and joints.