The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RX8 comment made me smile

Chris Wilson

On A N Other forum someone was aking if he should buy a £2500 RX8 Mazda.

A plethora of armchair experts spouted the usual opinions, from bargain of the decade to Mazda should be sued, but this post made me laugh, from a self confessed none piston head:

"Out of 461 RX8s for sale in the UK there are three showing over 100k miles, the first five have dud engines and the majority seem to sell them when nearing 60k, Warranty Direct wants £1,430 for a years warranty.

I may not have owned one, or know much about them, but I know when a lemon is a lemon"

I was talking to a trader pal the other week and he'd just pulled a mint looking, but poorly running, RX8 off his trailer. I asked what he'd paid for it. "£350, with the original wheels and good tyres thrown in", he said.

"Wow", I said, "£350?"

"Yep, made the mistake of feeling sorry for the barsteward, should have given him £250".

If someone could produce a conversion kit to fit a cheap, plentiful, lightweight and powerful engine to the RX8, they would really be on to something. Maybe something like an Audi V8.

Isn't the issue with the electronics in the car? The dashboard etc requiring something to do with the stock ECU?

Isn't the issue with the electronics in the car? The dashboard etc requiring something to do with the stock ECU?

yes, it's all CANBUS and a total nightmare to get stuff running on a different ECU. A race version would be relatively easy, with no real OE electronics to worry about. If anything the engines seem worse than the RX-7 ones. The old N/A rotaries were the most reliable, and would run on any junk petrol. But they weren't very powerful in a road usable form.

The RX8 was a bit of a shame, I do have a softspot for rotaries because of their uniqueness but the decision to offer a worse rotary than the RX7's and not give it a turbo was disappointing. Not to mention the styling.

If anything they should have just stuck it in the lightweight MX5 where the lack of torque wouldn't be so noticeable and sold it as a special edition.

I am VERY tempted to buy one and have an LS engine fitted in, if a company could do the conversion and keep the electrics working.

It is a lot of car for the money, and a practical RWD car with a quick engine is a good win!

Aren't LS engines alone a good few grand?

Aren't LS engines alone a good few grand?

If I remember correctly they were quite cheap (well they certainly are in the US) and they were lighter than putting in a cast iron engine too. Think it was around the £1500 - £2k for an engine.

Would have been good if a Lexus V8 could have been put in, nice and cheap to buy but most likely a pain to get it running :)

I was seriously looking at them before I got the Supra, love a rotary and figured if I'm going to have a silly car I may as well go all in... If anything exploded/broke I'd just buy another one and move the bits I'd replaced across, cheaper than fixing (Rotary Revs do a basic rebuild for ~£2k). The bit that killed it for me was the shape of the transmission tunnel next to the clutch, just couldn't fit my foot in there comfortably.

I am VERY tempted to buy one and have an LS engine fitted in, if a company could do the conversion and keep the electrics working. It is a lot of car for the money, and a practical RWD car with a quick engine is a good win!
There's an LS/RX-8 thread on Pistonheads (one of Craig Taylor's). IIRC it ended up at around £18K, although that was a turnkey conversion using a Monaro engine/box bought in the UK, plus a bodykit and glass-out respray.