The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RX8 comment made me smile

Chris Wilson

If it's torque you want why not go completely different and stick a BMW 3.0L Diesel lump and box in one?

A V6 or v8 would be better for weight distribution, a jaguar 2.7 or audi 4.2 twin turbo diesel would be better imo.

I do love the BMW diesels though, my E39 530d was amazing.

There's a nice blue looking one on Autotrader right now:

"DRIVES WELL STARTS FINE NO ISSUES, RED, THESE CARS DRIVE EXCELLENT AND REPRESENT FANTASTIC VALUE FOR MONEY"

It's all written in caps and the colour is wrong - I'd trust this guy that it has no issues too.

LS2 crate motor about 5k, LS3 crate is about 6k, LS7 8k and LSX about 9k landed. So not cheap.

Mine was about £1500 but that was for an old Votec 6.0 LS2 all iron truck motor that needs a rebuild that was already in the uk.

Craig at Dyno Torque is the man to speak to as he's been fitting LS motors into RX7 and 8's for years. He's already put a LS1 and T56 into a Mk4, he's doing mine so he'll have a fresh prospective on the Supra Conversion.

I don't understand people saying put a 2JZ or V8 in a small lightweight (ish) sports car. I'd look at sticking a turbocharged 4 pot in one.

An alloy LS engine only weighs a little more than a 13b rotary, with the turbos etc. And the configuration of the LS keeps the center of gravity low. It barely affects the handling in the RX7, yet gives if more reliability, torque, power, tuning potential and even economy.

The RX7 and the LS are an amazing combination, and I suspect the RX8 would give a similar end result. Although I would probably just go for an E39 M5 or VXR8 if I wanted a practical and powerful v8 car.

My next build will be an oem+ style LS RX7.

An alloy LS engine only weighs a little more than a 13b rotary, with the turbos etc.

I believe the LS7 is a fair bit lighter than the older LS2/3's, but I'd guess something like the Audi 2.0 TFSI is still going to be about a third lighter still?

The LS V8's may be lighter than a 2JZ, but they're still not exactly featherweights.