The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Please recommend a new Turbo for future replacement of my PHR Stage 3 72mm

Sheefa

Hi all

I absolutely love the car and whilst an older turbo kit the Powerhouse Racing Stage 3 72mm turbo is awesome. I have the dual bearing version which does help spool and I think I make full boost around 4,400rpm. See dyno plot, a little conservative on power at 1.5bar someone said.

image.jpg

However, given the rapid rate of development in turbo charging I am looking at options for an upgrade hopefully in March next year.

Can anyone recommend a decent alternative, preferably a straight turbo swap over only with my supporting mods remaining in situ? :)

My current setup is as follows:

Engine - Fully Built and balanced engine & Head with less than 10K miles

Turbo - Powerhouse Racing Stage 3 72mm dual ball bearing Turbo Kit with HKS ceramic coated manifold, DEI T4 Titanium Turbo Blanket and DEI Titanium Heat wrapped PHR 4” ceramic coated downpipe/midpipe. Dual HKS BOV’s.

Fuel System - 850CC Fuel injectors with New OEM Fuel lines and Walbro 485 pump and Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

Exhaust - Veilside Titanium exhaust

Cooling - GReddy 4 row Intercooler with hardpipes, 10 row power steering cooler, 16 row Oil Cooler, New Rear diff cooler, Custom Airbox, PWR Polished Aluminium Radiator with twin electric fans (ECU Controlled)

Electronics - Syvecs S6 ECU (Tuned by Ryan@2BAR) with Innovate Motorsports Wideband

Transmission - Getrag V160 6 speed Manual with uprated six puck metallic clutch

Thanks

Greg

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

The power your are making at the moment is easy 6266 DBB territory, you will more then likely make the power earlier and more power.

Remember to factor in tweaks to exhaust and intercooler pipe work that may be needed

Pretty sure the Gen 2 6266 is rated to flow 800bhp, 6466 is 900bhp so would require a forged engine to make the most of it. Depends how much you want to spend i suppose, as has already been said, a remap might net you little extra oompff.

Thanks all. My goal would be in the region of 650rwhp. Currently I'm at 560 fly wheel hp at 1.5 bar which does seem light for a PHR Stage 3, especially given I have a built engine too. I'll do some research but heard good things about the Precision DBB turbos.

Thanks all. My goal would be in the region of 650rwhp. Currently I'm at 560 fly wheel hp at 1.5 bar

So you are wanting 750-800fwhp?

What about the Garrett GTX3582R?

That'd be my choice on a road car, should be good for 650fwhp at 1.8bar-2bar and make for a VERY responsive setup.

650rwhp would need a bigger turbo it may be possible with the GTX4088R but you'd need to check the compressor map.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I personally don't think anymore than 550whp is required for road use. If you're tracking it, with associated supporting mods, then go for more. Spend money on the smallest turbo to suit you power goal and go for maximum response and "area under the curve".

My GTR is running 680bhp, spools to 600lb/ft at 2800rpm, but in our climate, there's very few times I can put my foot down in second gear without the TC flickering, and that's with 4WD, modern chassis and some (relative) downforce. You'll most likely be slower from A to B with more power. The sweet spot for a Supra, in my opinion is around 550whp.

I personally don't think anymore than 550whp is required for road use. If you're tracking it, with associated supporting mods, then go for more. Spend money on the smallest turbo to suit you power goal and go for maximum response and "area under the curve".

My GTR is running 680bhp, spools to 600lb/ft at 2800rpm, but in our climate, there's very few times I can put my foot down in second gear without the TC flickering, and that's with 4WD, modern chassis and some (relative) downforce. You'll most likely be slower from A to B with more power. The sweet spot for a Supra, in my opinion is around 550whp.

I'm aiming for 600 FWHP at maximum boost on my gtx3576r, but will run it at circa 550FWHP the majority of the time. I believe that is the sweet spot, for overall performance, response, reliability and usability.

Although you are MORE than right, a 700-800 bhp Supra is great for the road. Unlike the GTR, the Supra is a straight line monster. A GTR will always be faster through the bends, whatever you do on a Supra.

Although you are MORE than right, a 700-800 bhp Supra is great for the road. Unlike the GTR, the Supra is a straight line monster. A GTR will always be faster through the bends, whatever you do on a Supra.

Your roads are very different to ours though. An 800hp Supra would be useless here on my favourite roads in North Yorkshire :)

Your roads are very different to ours though. An 800hp Supra would be useless here on my favourite roads in North Yorkshire :)

Drove one of my favourite NY roads a number of times last week, the A170 between Scarborough and the A19, 800hp would have been fun up Sutton Bank!

That is a fantastic Road, if it isn't too busy.

North Yorkshire's covered in them :) I get carried away for hours some weekends just driving around :D

But most are much too twisty to make the most of a big turbo setup,and you'd miss the low end torque. Many of these roads I can drive down just as quickly in my Corrado VR6 as I can my BPU Supra.

Thanks all. As stated I am currently at 560 at the flywheel and am looking for around 600+ at the wheels. I don't want buckets of power but I certainly feel another 100 or so would be good on my setup for a decent road car, with occasional track use.

Do you think I should maybe just go for another mapping session and see what I can get out of the current PHR 3 Turbo ? Can't locate any real power data for it. I have the supporting mods to take the power further, but realistically I don't know what is achievable with this turbo setup.

This suggests there is plenty more in the tank of it.....but surely the kit has just been upgraded since this turbo.

http://www.suprastore.com/poraphrst3tu.html

Thanks all.

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

Thanks all. As stated I am currently at 560 at the flywheel and am looking for around 600+ at the wheels. I don't want buckets of power but I certainly feel another 100 or so would be good on my setup for a decent road car, with occasional track use.

I love JZ world, a world where 600hp isn't bucket loads of power :D

Only another 100, cause in the real world you can normally just talk like that. Plus the fact that 400bhp is the 'norm'

This is so *SO* true. But people love dyno numbers :)

And comparing a modern direct injection engine like the GTR with any 2JZ is chalk and cheese, there was a

huge step change when turbo petrol engines went direct rail and relatively high compression.

This is so *SO* true. But people love dyno numbers :)

And comparing a modern direct injection engine like the GTR with any 2JZ is chalk and cheese, there was a

huge step change when turbo petrol engines went direct rail and relatively high compression.

Have you ever encountered a 2JZ-FSE Chris?