Lag

JackyBoi

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt that rebuilding the twins is gonna improve spool to be competitive with a modern single, seems like a waste of time and money.

It's about the delivery.

Doesn't really help when I have two people telling me completely different things haha. It's not just about the spool rate, as Johnny said it's about the delivery. I'm just saying that, if I had the choice, I would love to have even 1000rpm faster spool just for that bit extra throttle response. Then again, I'm not willing to throw almost £2k into the turbos if it's only going to make minimal difference. As others have said, I'd be better off putting a new turbo on the manifolds or getting a new kit altogether, which is the most expensive option but may be the most cost-effective in terms of not having money spent on oldschool turbos.

Doesn't really help when I have two people telling me completely different things haha. It's not just about the spool rate, as Johnny said it's about the delivery. I'm just saying that, if I had the choice, I would love to have even 1000rpm faster spool just for that bit extra throttle response. Then again, I'm not willing to throw almost £2k into the turbos if it's only going to make minimal difference. As others have said, I'd be better off putting a new turbo on the manifolds or getting a new kit altogether, which is the most expensive option but may be the most cost-effective in terms of not having money spent on oldschool turbos.

Just my 2p, but you could probably buy new turbos for just over £2k something newer and maybe slightly smaller.

Just my 2p, but you could probably buy new turbos for just over £2k something newer and maybe slightly smaller.

Yeah also not a bad idea, but then I'm stuck trying to sell two turbos which need the rare HKS manifold to work; would it not be super hard to find a buyer?

How much does, for example, an entire 6466 GEN2 kit go for nowerdays? Turbo, manifold, wastegate, downpipe... The lot. New or second hand

In your position I would probably sell the complete kit, and buy a decent single turbo, manifold, downpipe, Wastegate etc.

Either way it's going to cost you money, but at least if you go with a 'tried and tested' kit, you know you'll get the setup you want.

In your position I would probably sell the complete kit, and buy a decent single turbo, manifold, downpipe, Wastegate etc.

Either way it's going to cost you money, but at least if you go with a 'tried and tested' kit, you know you'll get the setup you want.

I would definitely second that advice.

easy option for you mate sell yours for 4k and buy an Srd turbo kit and enjoy

I would definitely second that advice.

easy option for you mate sell yours for 4k and buy an Srd turbo kit and enjoy

It's all too tempting to go with this advice ;)

I would guestimate around £4k new.

Looking online (using Whifbitz as an approximation) the entire kit brand new is just over £4.5k. Obviously that is leaving out labour because I am unable to remove the current kit/install the new kit - I have to pay for it all to be done.

Maybe worth staying on the lookout for good quality second hand parts do you reckon? So as to make the whole ordeal as cost effective as possible.

Or is it the good ol' buy right, buy once (new) ;)

you should shift yours easy

I don't think the HKS twin kit will be easy to sell myself, especially if perspective buyers read this thread. Fact is they are very poor for performance when you compare to modern tubokits. drift bear has tried everything.

Just look at your 1/4 mile terminals jackyboi, 108mph that's poor for even bpu power.

James got lucky selling his kit lol.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

I don't think the HKS twin kit will be easy to sell myself, especially if perspective buyers read this thread. Fact is they are very poor for performance when you compare to modern tubokits. drift bear has tried everything.

Just look at your 1/4 mile terminals jackyboi, 108mph that's poor for even bpu power.

James got lucky selling his kit lol.

If smart English people won't buy, yanks will ;)

US dollar rate is favourable for a sale to the U.S., might be worth a go?

Tempting... How is it favourable though?

Might be worth trying the Aristo forum, driftworks etc too. :)

Thanks buddy may have to get on this will have a good long think. Having a faster spooling setup may be exactly what I need

I have the answer! fit an auto diff, i fitted 1 last year and tbh its transformed my car, brought it alive, hardly any lag and the power delivery is really drivable.

Really?

I'm going for a TRD LSD sooner or later anyway... But how on earth does having a different diff affect the spooling rate of a turbo haha

You'll get through the gears quicker, so you won't be out of the power curve for long. The downside is the powerband will also seem pretty narrow in the first few gears, and you'll be changing gear A LOT! :D

It will also rev much higher on the motorway, increasing noise and decreasing fuel economy. Works well on a track car, but having lived with a similar setup before, it is difficult to live with daily.

You'll get through the gears quicker, so you won't be out of the power curve for long. The downside is the powerband will also seem pretty narrow in the first few gears, and you'll be changing gear A LOT! :D

It will also rev much higher on the motorway, increasing noise and decreasing fuel economy. Works well on a track car, but having lived with a similar setup before, it is difficult to live with daily.

Just so we're on the same page, are you talking about fitting a diff from an auto?