The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Plasti-Dipping my supra

krisgowing

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should of undercoated with a lighter color like grey first, hopefully you can get this looking good with another 3-4 coats. You will need at least 7 coats or when the time comes to strip the plastidip off, it will be very difficult (speaking from experience!)

I'm waiting for the day a supra looks good in plasti dip, each one I've seen so far looks pretty poor in comparison to a wrapped supra, which is a shame as plastidip has potential.

I used 20 litres to cover mine first couple of coats were very transparent

1st coat

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27/2f9eb9f33fc478dce295d4f7afed511f.jpg

3rd coathttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27/43779f3029de2a1658aff6a1a8dbef2a.jpg

Then ran out at 10 litres

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27/61bdaf5b3e80127a0a4c05838c949a0a.jpg

20ltrs?! please don't say that's the plastic wrap stuff or whatever it is! you went to all that trouble and had a booth and didn't use proper paint?

Should of undercoated with a lighter color like grey first, hopefully you can get this looking good with another 3-4 coats. You will need at least 7 coats or when the time comes to strip the plastidip off, it will be very difficult (speaking from experience!)

I'm waiting for the day a supra looks good in plasti dip, each one I've seen so far looks pretty poor in comparison to a wrapped supra, which is a shame as plastidip has potential.

Challenge accepted ;)

Obviously not seen mine!:p

Good luck anyone attempting this, think I've decided to get a full respray done later in the year.

I can get all of the necessary materials and a location to spray for the same amount it's going to cost to dip it.

All it'll take is a bit more time and a lot more elbow grease.

Plasti dip is a cheap way of making your car look good on the street if you have paid out for body parts but can't afford a re spray yet. That was my thinking. Cruising down the motorway it looks mint. Better than a project car looking 3 or 4 different colours. But up close it isn't that good. My thinking was always plasti dip until it I can afford a proper respray. Temperary solution to project car that is 2 or 3 different colours

Update: The White Liquid wrap is currently out of stock (even though it shows it's in stock) and so I was issued a Refund

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-paint-coating-electroplating/coatings/rubber-coating-wrap-dip-spray/frost-liquid-wrap-rubber-coating-spray/liquid-wrap-matt-white-5-litre.html

With me finally having the free time..., I just went and bought a 5litre Liquid wrap off this website https://www.liquidcarwraps.co.uk/

Turns out it's a bogus site :taped: I've paid using a service called 'World Pay' but they don't issue refunds they just process payments so looks like it's a trip to the Bank first thing tomorrow.

So now I'm left wondering, would anyone else be able to recommend a place where I could purchase the white liquid wrap from?

Just to inform people.

PlastiDip is a brand.

It's the best and only brand you should be using which comes from the states.

Any other company that sells their own version which isn't branded as plastidip is cheap crap.

Hence why it looks crap, feels horrible, stains, peels and flakes

• 2 months later...

Been putting this of for a few months due to a new job and moving out for the first time and turning 22!

But this week far I got rid of all the dents and rust bubbles on the side panels where it seems someone had painted over before. Also any other stone chips or any spots that will look to rust in the future I've gone over in etching. Unfortunately I only had red so the car looks a mess!

Weather providing I can go over these marks in grey primer this weekend

The dip is booked for next weekend so can't wait to see what she looks like all in matt white. This is only until I save for the full respray but will still be happy with this in the short term!

Edited by krisgowing (see edit history)

Just to inform people.

PlastiDip is a brand.

It's the best and only brand you should be using which comes from the states.

Any other company that sells their own version which isn't branded as plastidip is cheap crap.

Hence why it looks crap, feels horrible, stains, peels and flakes

Long before Plastidip appeared on YouTube, Foliatec were producing a product like this, specifically for the German Taxi market. I should think that would be at least on a par with Plastidip.

But as for other products, I used plastidip on my carbon rad plate, and it was great. I used a cheap alternative on my VR6 engine cover, and it reacted with the factory paint and turned it into an non salvageable mess. :D

Long before Plastidip appeared on YouTube, Foliatec were producing a product like this, specifically for the German Taxi market. I should think that would be at least on a par with Plastidip.

But as for other products, I used plastidip on my carbon rad plate, and it was great. I used a cheap alternative on my VR6 engine cover, and it reacted with the factory paint and turned it into an non salvageable mess. :D

I'm using the proper stuff so fingers crossed nothing to worry about :D

True, but long before Foliatec were producing this product plastidip were.

Plastidip has been around for decades.

All tools with the rubber coated handles are actually plastidip.

Hence the name.

Tools were dipped in the plasti paint several times to form the coating.

I haven't tried the Foliatec stuff yet though.

I only work with plastidip and my custom creations.

Update: The White Liquid wrap is currently out of stock (even though it shows it's in stock) and so I was issued a Refund

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-paint-coating-electroplating/coatings/rubber-coating-wrap-dip-spray/frost-liquid-wrap-rubber-coating-spray/liquid-wrap-matt-white-5-litre.html

With me finally having the free time..., I just went and bought a 5litre Liquid wrap off this website https://www.liquidcarwraps.co.uk/

Turns out it's a bogus site :taped: I've paid using a service called 'World Pay' but they don't issue refunds they just process payments so looks like it's a trip to the Bank first thing tomorrow.

So now I'm left wondering, would anyone else be able to recommend a place where I could purchase the white liquid wrap from?

What makes you suspect it to be a bogus site? I've used them in the past when I did my wheels and had no issues with them. Was going to be ordering more, as the wheels could do with a few more coats. So interested to know what you've heard/found out to potentially save me from losing money!

http://s935.photobucket.com/user/krisgowing1/media/Etching_zpsfe2jntus.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Having trouble uploading the photo so had to attach a link, But last week managed to get rid off all the rust marks and dents and applied etching to the damaged areas. Then luckily the weather was good this weekend and managed to cover these in grey primer.

All ready for the respray this weekend, Can't wait to see the end results! Will post some before and after pictures for sure.