The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Plasti-Dipping my supra

krisgowing

I've been plastidiping cars and wheels for ages

It's great stuff, works well, very enduring, but does have downsides.

It does get cut fairly easily, good side is cut the square out and respray in an hour

Matches perfectly.

The biggest downside to plastidiping is the people claiming they can do it, the majority of businesses are set up to jump on the bandwagon.

Have no idea what they are really doing, and use other photos to promote their work.

Cowboys.

That's why I stopped doing it.

I was sick and tired of people saying they could get it cheaper, then calling me up to fix it after it was fu**ed.

Plastidip is one product, a true product.

Cowboys use cheap crap and pass it off as plastidip.

They do my head in!!

Now my advise would be to find people who have had it done, check their car and ask where they got it done.

Or for the money, buy the sprayer, buy the paint from http://www.matt-pack.co.uk and do it yourself.

You will have paint left over for any repairs, and if you mask up really well, you can peel off the overspray dip and save it for your spares.

Need anymore advice just ask away

Okay , On his facebook page and scrolling though his photo's on facebook his actually got the cars his wrapped and they don't look to bad imo.

https://www.facebook.com/vtatinting/photos_stream

Take a look what you think of the work since you've been working with it before ?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the exact position as the OP. However, I had saved up for a full re-spray (as when I bought the car in Jan it had chrome stickers on & the previous owner peeled it off, it revealed some paint damage) so having had the money to do a FULL re-spray...the opportunity to buy (Swampy44) BBS LMs came by & so the summer re-spray would have to be postponed for now.

I was thinking of either to plasti-dip it in Matte Black of White. But I decided I'm going for white, my mate has the equipment so I'll give it a shot next week.

If was comes to worst & I f$% up then It's not going to look any worse than it is. So it's a win-win for me.

I did mine on my driveway myself, took a day and easy to do. For that money you can just about buy the full kit with your chosen colour. That way you don't need to trust someone's dodgy advertising. Been on almost a year and still looks good. I am gonna redo this summer, gonna try gun metal grey.

20140928_144602(2).jpg

Edited by walkerstrider (see edit history)

I was about to say yes go for it at that price.

But passing off work from a different country and different year would set alarm bells ringing for me to be honest.

Do you personally know the guy?

Also as above, is it all matte finish?

Need a touch up on mine in terms of colour and have been thinking of wrapping or a plastidip due to the costs involved in a proper respray.

That look's good.

How long does it last for and do you have any problems with it?

I've never had it on longer than a year but it lasted that long easily. Just make sure there is no water under any rubber seals, like window rubbers, from washing it. The dip will lift if there's any moisture left.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432144191.486027.jpg

Edited by rsme (see edit history)

Pretty well. I've learnt about how to treat it now so when I redo it I should get a couple of years easy. Just have to make sure car Is thoroughly cleaned and dried before spraying. And don't spill fuel when you fill up like I have. Solvents and plastidip don't mix! It's doesn't scratch that easy but if you scrubb against it with the hose pipe for example it will mark it. As has been mentioned above you can repair scratches and tears without stripping the whole car.

I

Pretty well. I've learnt about how to treat it now so when I redo it I should get a couple of years easy. Just have to make sure car Is thoroughly cleaned and dried before spraying. And don't spill fuel when you fill up like I have. Solvents and plastidip don't mix! It's doesn't scratch that easy but if you scrubb against it with the hose pipe for example it will mark it. As has been mentioned above you can repair scratches and tears without stripping the whole car.

I

What prep is involved?

Hi. I did mine as a quick tidy up figured if its good leave it if not then I get it painted properly only cost a couple of hundred d.i.y. its not perfect but did the job. Im going to have it painted in the future

imageimageimage

And before

imageimage

I'm in the exact position as the OP. However, I had saved up for a full re-spray (as when I bought the car in Jan it had chrome stickers on & the previous owner peeled it off, it revealed some paint damage) so having had the money to do a FULL re-spray...the opportunity to buy (Swampy44) BBS LMs came by & so the summer re-spray would have to be postponed for now.

I was thinking of either to plasti-dip it in Matte Black of White. But I decided I'm going for white, my mate has the equipment so I'll give it a shot next week.

If was comes to worst & I f$% up then It's not going to look any worse than it is. So it's a win-win for me.

Let me know how you get on with it mate!

I was about to say yes go for it at that price.

But passing off work from a different country and different year would set alarm bells ringing for me to be honest.

Do you personally know the guy?

Also as above, is it all matte finish?

Need a touch up on mine in terms of colour and have been thinking of wrapping or a plastidip due to the costs involved in a proper respray.

He does have proper pictures infront of his garage on his facebook page and the job does lok good, i put the link in above to see what any one thought and his done a pretty good job.

Nope but my friends with his 335 has been using him for all his work and his done really well with it all.

He said he can do a range of colours so not sure if it's all matte or not but probably will go for the matt white.

I

Doesn't sound to bad to me imo.

Sounds like anything I would do to a normal car would scratch that normally so that doesn't bother me.

I take it you just bother with the outsdie don't bother with inside the door trims etc as its only temp?

That's a pretty good job considering you did it all yourself.

Tempted to give it ago myself now,

Does it not make a mess of your drive when your doing it haha:blink:

Have to see how you get on with it.

Is it a hassle to do because may just buy a kit and do it or spend the 300 and get it done hassle free hmmm decisions haha.

Well I say d.i.y it was d.i.y at my pals bodyshop so that helped alot being in a booth. The finish isnt brilliant if im honest its a bit rough and bobbled in places but suppose it is what it is

Only short term till I can save for that full respray so worth a go.

I'd be very tempted to buy a 20L starter kit & enough additional paint & material to do my track car (for obvious reasons), my sister's car (because the lacquer is poor in places) & my wife's car (because it is silver, and every second car in Ireland is poxy silver!)

All three cars could be done in a black base coat (the 20L supplied with the starter kit) and then differing pigments mixed into a clear coat would give the finished look. Red for my sister, purple for my wife and I'm still unsure, but there are plenty of options there to choose from.

All in it would work out to about £200/car if the kit was sourced from Matte Pack.

So what prep is involved then?

I'll be reading the the website later but just curious at the moment.

Seriously considering this.

I'd need to ask them myself about the procedure with flaking lacquer, I guess feathering it into the basecoat and then cleaning/degreasing the rest of the car should suffice. My track car would need the graffiti removed, a few dents taken care of and I'd go so far as to give the entire body a light sanding as the car has been hit with grinding sparks on occasion which have a tendency to stick. My wife's car has a small dent over a rear wheel arch and a scratch on the front bumper which would need taking care of first. But basically if the car is properly washed, free of uneven paintwork and totally degreased prior to spraying there doesn't seem to be a whole lot more to it.

Prep is very simple indeed. Washing, dry it very well, no moisture under any seals. Mask of wheels and large surfaces like windows to not wast any product. No need to mask precisely to the edges. Degrease and then apply at least four coats.

After it dries you can peal off the dip from headlights, taillights and window edges.