The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Plasti-Dipping my supra

krisgowing

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the colour of the rest of the car you may need to spray everything with a base coat so that you don't end up with different shades of the colour you want to finish in.

Some colours/effects work better with a black or blue base coat while some don't need it.

This is all according to the Matte Pack website by the way, I've never used this stuff myself.

£195 for the 5 litre starter pack.

Website suggests around 2 litres per coat, and around 7 coats for the best finish.

So you're looking at just under £600 for the basic stuff, and then whatever extras you need like base coats etc.

Cost soon starts to add up.

Right if you want a cheaper sprayer, argos do a good sprayer at a cheaper price.

And don't forget the website/business is designed to make money, so gives you advice to spend there.

If you need any advice on how do this just ask.

I also get discounts at Matt-pack if you need anything

before this thread came up id been debating this, my paint work from a few feet looks fine from 5 ft looks great.. close up you notice all the swirl marks and a few places the lacquer is failing.. for me its a going to be a nice tidy up whilst saving for a full respray, no point f***ing around getting a 21 year old paint job machine polished and touched up in my opinion. as a stop gap i think this stuff could be great.

before this thread came up id been debating this, my paint work from a few feet looks fine from 5 ft looks great.. close up you notice all the swirl marks and a few places the lacquer is failing.. for me its a going to be a nice tidy up whilst saving for a full respray, no point f***ing around getting a 21 year old paint job machine polished and touched up in my opinion. as a stop gap i think this stuff could be great.

Your in the exactly same boat as me, Gonna give it ago and post my results on this thread :D

Don't know if the price had increased. I bought the 20l starter kit with everything needed for around £360. Can't remember the exact price. I also put 8 coats on with about 2litres left over.

How have you got on with yours? How long ya had it and any problems?

Been on nearly a year, it's still good.

Gonna give it ago.

Will see when I can get it booked just need to get the dents, stone chips and the rust from around the window sill then i'm good to go as I'm pretty sure going over those spots won't be a good idea

- - - Updated - - -

Nice one, mine needs a respray but if I can change or update the colour every 2-3 years with this product Its something that I would go for.

What I'm thinking.

By what I've been reading it seems to be getting better over the last few years with the paints and quality.

Well I've found a local shop that rents out his spray booth and all equipment is included, £50 for a full day on saturdays.

I've also got some incredibly cheap mates rates for full 'proper' paint, so now I need to decide whether I'm brave enough to do that, or go the safe route and use this plastidip.

Really torn!

Edit - also forgot to add something I was wondering, whether the plastidip can be 'wrapped' on. For example I will want certain parts of the bumpers and skirts wrapping in a carbon effect, just not sure how well they'd adhere to the plastidip?

Guest Ec1202014
Well I've found a local shop that rents out his spray booth and all equipment is included, £50 for a full day on saturdays.

I've also got some incredibly cheap mates rates for full 'proper' paint, so now I need to decide whether I'm brave enough to do that, or go the safe route and use this plastidip.

Really torn!

Edit - also forgot to add something I was wondering, whether the plastidip can be 'wrapped' on. For example I will want certain parts of the bumpers and skirts wrapping in a carbon effect, just not sure how well they'd adhere to the plastidip?

Wouldn't you be better just peeling the plasti dip off on the areas you want to carbon? Then put the carbon wrap straight onto the paintwork?

Don't know much about plasti dip but I wouldn't imagine much bonds very well to it.