The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best brake upgrade for a Supra?

JackyBoi

I wouldn't argue with that. I'm glad Dan saved me the effort of having to make a decision around brakes. I've yet to have to replace discs or pads but I'm certainly they won't be cheap, especially the rear pads which need to be specially made.

I really wish I had the funds for your car at the time, Dan put such a lot of thought into the setup. :cool:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uk pad choice is terrible and the very reason i changed to brembo`s, i went with the gt/f50 fronts, still using uk rears though.perfect setup for me.

Same setup I had on my single, and yes it is fantastic. Would be interesting to see how the matching rear Brembos would perform, as the UK rears seem to work really well with them.

I went down the unconventional road, ref brakes . I,ve fitted Wilwood 4 pots with race pads .These are a very light weight set - up . I,ve had Brembo,s , uk Supra set up , front / rear , which were excellent , but this set - up is better than the uk brakes , but not on the same level as the Brembos , but then you aint spending £1.5 - £2 k . For around £800 - £1000 I will certainly use these again .

• 7 months later...
I really wish I had the funds for your car at the time, Dan put such a lot of thought into the setup. :cool:

He did think about everything to a great extent. He also had the technical knowledge to understand all the factors in determine what setup would be best.

I'm very happy with the mechanical nature of the car. It just needs a good respray now.

toyota has discounted, do you know other brand good ?

So you need a EUR left hand drive brake master cylinder? The US Supra uses the same BMC so you may be able to find one in the USA. Alternatively Toyota do a rebuild kit for the brake master cylinder, this is for the EUR/US LHD.

• 2 months later...
Mk4 Supras never came with 15" wheels.

Hmm, not sure what mine are then, I thought they were 15", see attached picture. I have the set the car came with (Jap import), black as in the picture, and a bigger set that I bought some years later that look just like everyone else started with i.e. silver/grey 16". Either way, they're definitely smaller that what most people have and I'm trying to find out if standard UK-spec brakes will fit. Anyone?

UPDATE: OK, I found some pictures online of the small and big standard wheels and yes, the small ones I have are 16". So...I'm wondering if UK-spec brakes fit with 16" wheels?

Capture.JPG

Edited by pjeaton
spelling, well someone has to look after the quality of life (see edit history)

OK, so I have a set of standard 17" wheels on the car right now, but the brakes are all seized as the car has been sitting for about 10 years (yep, really, I've had the car since 1998 - super low mileage :)). When I put the 17" wheels on (10 yeas ago, mind), it was to replace the smaller ones, but the road-holding was awful, the car steered all over the place, leading me to believe that all the camber/pitch settings (whatever they're called) are all out for different wheel sizes. Is this generally correct? The decision I have now is whether to un-seize/clean-up the original j-spec brakes that are on the car now and go back to the 16" wheels, or upgrade to UK-spec ones and sort out the camber/pitch settings for the 17" wheels.

Sorry this is going a bit off-topic, but am I on the right lines for this camber setup assumption with bigger wheels? Is it usually a big issue to resolve? Are the parts I might need to upgrade generally available? I'm not really looking to up-spec the car much, it's completely standard example and I'm happy to keep it that way.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Edited by pjeaton (see edit history)