Best brake upgrade for a Supra?

JackyBoi

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damien has the OEM setup on his Supra and Slicks ;) Works nicely!

Only road legal semi-slicks mate.

Stock 4/2 piston calipers but with racing pads, DBA disks, ABS removed, braided lines, BMC stopper & 5.1 fluid.

On a dry track can slow from about 120mph to 40mph in about 60 metres a few times per lap & all day long with no drama.

I think Luc has the stopTech kit.

Yes Jamie. I have the Stoptech kit : 355mm, 4 pot front and rear (they call it their ST40 kit ; the ST60 kit being the 6 pot).

I went from euro-spec one's to the Stoptech's a couple of years ago. I find the stopping power very impressive, especially from higher speeds (some of my passengers were even frightened when braking hard from 140+ mph).

• 4 months later...
There's a guy on facebook who has started selling big brake conversion kits for Supras etc... Brembo SRT8 calipers

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Brembos.SRT8.Conversions/

I've been chatting to this guy. Seems very helpfull. Used his template at the weekends to check my wheels for clearance, Top rear of caliper just catches my wheel but it's a section that can be machined back a little on the calliper.

Might be a project for a little later in the year. Especially as I've found the Brembo Lexus IS-F discs for less than I pay Mr T for Supra discs.

I would be cautious about these SRT Brembo brake kits from the US. Has he produced any data on the effects on the cars brake bias? Any mention of increase/decrease in stopping distance over UKs? They look great, but I've not seen any real facts about the setup.

The LS400 front brake upgrade is a great budget upgrade over the J-specs, as it can be done all in for £250 with some luck. (with new pads and discs). However, the rumour that they are lighter than UKs is incorrect, as while the LS400 calipers are lighter than the UKs by some margin, the discs are heavier (and don't have the benefit of size or directional cooling vanes). As the discs are rotating mass, this pretty much cancels out any weight benefit, and was one of the reasons I went with UK's in the end. (along with a much better selection of discs and pads)

Discs are £75-80 each (available in UK)

Front Callipers $640 for the pair

Rear Callipers around $400 for the pair

Adaptor Brackets $325 for all 4

Then some nuts and bolts needed.

All info on the facebook group.

Remember that shipping callipers and adaptors from America won't be that cheap and also they'll be a customs charge.

Edited by Big Mark
extra info added. (see edit history)

Discs are £75-80 (available in UK)

Front Callipers $640

Rear Callipers around $400

Adaptor Brackets $325

Then some nuts and bolts needed.

All info on the facebook group.

Remember that shipping callipers and adaptors from America won't be that cheap and also they'll be a customs charge.

Just joined the group but need to be approved ! Thanks , not too bad a price, interesting how mike gets on with them

Glanza Mike is one members that has them. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?312085-Glanza_Mike-s-Clean-White-VVTI-Supra-Project!/page8

The whole kit is Brembo, callipers are designed to stop a massive SUV, discs designed to stop a heavy Lexus, I'd be seriously surprised if these don't significantly outperform the UK bakes.

It's much more complicated than that. :)

http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/white-paper---brake-bias-and-performance-why-brake-balance-matters

DanDan did an excellent thread comparing various brake kits, and some of the expensive aftermarket kits weren't as good as the UKs in terms of stopping power.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

I agree with the above. You would be hard pushed to beat a UK setup with decent pads, braided lines and decent fluid on the road.

IMO spending money on a large brake kit for road use is a waste of money. Only reason I have K-Sport fronts on mine is as i use it a lot on track, I still use stock UK rears and always have.

Edited by T2 MSW (see edit history)

I've got UK's, Chris Wilson pads, braided lines but pedal feel and overhaul performance isn't as good as I'd hope. Might do a fluid change and see. What fluid do you have in yours?

RBF660 again geared for track use.

What is not to your liking, is it pedal feel? Initial bite? Ive never used CW pads but people rave about them. Id be more inclined to think it was fluid or slave cylinder related if they don't do what you expect.

RBF660 again geared for track use.

What is not to your liking, is it pedal feel? Initial bite? Ive never used CW pads but people rave about them. Id be more inclined to think it was fluid or slave cylinder related if they don't do what you expect.

Pedal feel and initial bite. Going to give them a fluid change and might strip them down and give them a thorough overhaul.

Edited by Big Mark (see edit history)

It's much more complicated than that. :)

http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/white-paper---brake-bias-and-performance-why-brake-balance-matters

DanDan did an excellent thread comparing various brake kits, and some of the expensive aftermarket kits weren't as good as the UKs in terms of stopping power.

I would point out he went with an Alcon setup after this research.

I would point out he went with an Alcon setup after this research.

Yeah, that's why I said some. ;) I would consider one of the premium kits from Brembo/AP/Alcon to be the best setup, but the kits are very expensive and replacement pads/discs are also very expensive. UK's are very good for the money (brand new less than half the cost of Brembos) and pad/disc selection are good and much cheaper. All depends what the budget is.

Yeah, that's why I said some. ;) I would consider one of the premium kits from Brembo/AP/Alcon to be the best setup, but the kits are very expensive and replacement pads/discs are also very expensive. UK's are very good for the money (brand new less than half the cost of Brembos) and pad/disc selection are good and much cheaper. All depends what the budget is.

I wouldn't argue with that. I'm glad Dan saved me the effort of having to make a decision around brakes. I've yet to have to replace discs or pads but I'm certainly they won't be cheap, especially the rear pads which need to be specially made.