The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rich's Facelift TT6 Journal

Rich.2211

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i bought my link pipes i bought the longer smaller diameter one at the back aswell, BUT Ash would not do me any custom lengths, i had to buy them all in 150mm lenth and cut to size myself which was fine as it worked out at £3.97 per hose

Updates are looking good though, its the small details that count :thumbs:

I need some turbo link pipes....did you order off their website or did you email them?

What size did you order if you don't mind?

Are those link pipes from ASH made from plane silicone or are they fluoro lined?

Ordered over the phone Westy. The sizes are in Matt P's build thread but I would knock 5mm off the length of each hose personally. They are polyester reinforced silicone. The fluoro lined would of likely been a better choice having just had a read up ASH will supply fluoro lined too. Having said that, I'm looking at changing the breather setup on mine anyway so fluoro lined may not be required.

For anyone interested (from ASH website):

Polyester Reinforced Silicone Hose

Reinforcement is from four to five plys of medium duty knitted polyester fabric depending on the chosen diameter and expected severity of the service conditions. A “rubber only” liner is used to prevent the leakage which could otherwise occur due to exposed fabric on the inside of the hose. Hoses are available in our standard colours of Blue, Black, Red, and special colours can be supplied (see our products). Surface finish is shiny gloss for all colours with a matt cloth finish available on the Classic look hose.

Uses: vehicle cooling systems - cold side intercooler air hoses - and general industrial use within the temperature range of -55°C to +170°C.

Fluoro Lined Silicone Hose

Because silicone rubber is permeable to hydrocarbons, fluorosilicone liners are often used in automotive applications to prevent oil seepage through the hose wall. This seepage could otherwise swell and damage the hose and also leave a sticky deposit on the outside of the hose that attracts dirt. It has stable physical properties throughout the operating temperature range of –55°C to 250°C. The fluorosilicone results in a product that does not become brittle at low temperatures or excessively soft at high temperature.

Uses: Fluorosilicone lined turbocharger and intercooler hoses are often specified for use on engines that have to meet Euro 3 and 4 emission levels and therefore have crankcase oil mist recirculated through the induction system.

Leave the cover stock I'm trying to find the stock colour so I can have mine the same, yours are mint, this is crying for an Srd turbo kit :-)

Too late regards the cam covers :D

It is crying out for a single turbo kit but I've only ever driven the car once yet since I bought it so I want some use from it first. The latter half of this year I'll be looking at going single I think :p

When i bought my link pipes i bought the longer smaller diameter one at the back aswell, BUT Ash would not do me any custom lengths, i had to buy them all in 150mm lenth and cut to size myself which was fine as it worked out at £3.97 per hose

Updates are looking good though, its the small details that count :thumbs:

Ahh they were spot on with me.

Cheers Berg, it won't be cosmetically how I want it for some time but for now I just want to get it back on the road and use it. Then I'll worry about it looking pretty!

• 2 weeks later...

Lots to update but I'll start with some of the most recent bits!

The car is now mot'd, taxed, insured and back on the road. I'm actually getting some use out of the car now and have to say I'm really enjoying it - it drives really well. Even the six speed V160 gearbox is a pleasure to drive with despite reports from other people that they're clunky and graunchy I can only report that mine is spot on (it probably helps having the proper Toyota oil in).

Pre-mot work included fitting my cam covers which I painted satin black (look terrible and wish I never bothered :rolleyes:) and fitted with new OEM gaskets and cam cover washers. I replaced the cam cover link hoses also as the old ones were brittle and had set like plastic. You can see the SRD supplied coil pack connector clips in the below photo too.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199226&stc=1&d=1427225584

Old cam cover washer vs new:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199227&stc=1&d=1427225584

As the APR cooling panel covered the OEM overflow tank I had a replacement tank fabricated by a friend to mount in the engine bay. I must say he did an excellent job at an excellent price and it means I get to use a rather fancy alloy cap as oppose to the OEM plastic item which is reported to be a poor fit on some of the aftermarket Supra specific overflow tanks on the market.

The picture below really is terrible and does it no justice. I had the option to have it polished but have opted for powder coating hence it looks a bit rough at the moment. It will be sent off for powder coat when I can do without the car for a few days.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199228&stc=1&d=1427226087

Stuck a new OEM radiator cap on there for good measure whilst I was at it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199229&stc=1&d=1427226609

I've also done quite a few other jobs including fitting a new fuel filter, new auxiliary belt, removing the HID's and reverting to stock bulbs, new K&N air filter, re-routing wiring to the boost solenoid and alarm into the stock loom shrouding in the O/S arch as per factory, replacing all the blue vacuum hose and other vacuum hoses with gates reinforced hose and finally the worst job of all - replacing the heater hoses at the back of the engine with reinforced anti kink hose (I'll take some pictures of this for a later update).

Anyway, gave her a good clean now she's back on the road :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=199230&stc=1&d=1427226609

attachment.php?attachmentid=199231&stc=1&d=1427226609

attachment.php?attachmentid=199232&stc=1&d=1427226609

attachment.php?attachmentid=199233&stc=1&d=1427226609

attachment.php?attachmentid=199234&stc=1&d=1427226748

attachment.php?attachmentid=199235&stc=1&d=1427226748

attachment.php?attachmentid=199236&stc=1&d=1427226748

attachment.php?attachmentid=199237&stc=1&d=1427226748

attachment.php?attachmentid=199240&stc=1&d=1427226888

Cam Covers Black.jpg

Cam Washers.jpg

Tank.JPG

Rad Cap.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2765.JPG

Made my way down to Santapod in the early hours of Sunday morning for The Fast Show 15'. I went with my local group of car enthusiasts Midlands Japanese Cars and we ended up with four Supras on our stand along with a host of other Jap metal. Really a great day made even better by our 20+ car convoy into Santapod, it must of been a real spectacle for people passing 20 odd GTR's, Skylines, Supras, Evos, Silivias etc. in convoy down the M1.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199244&stc=1&d=1427229343

attachment.php?attachmentid=199243&stc=1&d=1427229343

attachment.php?attachmentid=199246&stc=1&d=1427229343

Fast Show 1.jpg

Fast Show 2.jpg

Fast Show 4.jpg

Edited by Rich.2211 (see edit history)

Looks great Rich! :D

Did you open her up? Any numbers? :)

Queued up twice to sign on for the drag strip but they had to many people already on there. Shame but I'll pop down for a RWYB another time and see what she can do. I did have two pulls on the way there where I opened her up and must say she does go well :cool:

Car is looking famctastic mate, really nicely done :) why did you choose to ditch the HIDs in favour of normal bulbs?

They were wired into both dip and main beam and one side wasn't working at all. Combine that with the three million cable ties holding the ballasts to the chassis legs and the general messy look of the wiring I decided to revert back to stock. It also means I can get bulbs for them easily if one goes.

Cheers for the comments on the car :)

Lovely car.

Lovely looking car :thumbs:

Car looks great Rich :).

Thanks all :thumbs:

Good meeting you again mate the other day. Car was looking great.

Jake, likewise, great to meet you again the other day - even if I was a tad sun burnt :D

Must say we were all impressed by your car, really nice Supra and presented to a great standard. Hopefully we'll catch up again soon!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using the car daily recently whilst the weather has been so good and it's been great :cool: I've also made the most of it on the weekends so me and my fellow Japanese car buddies can have days like this...

attachment.php?attachmentid=199880&stc=1&d=1428841232

I popped down to Dynodaze in Hinkley last weekend to put her on the dyno and see how she was doing. She made 379bhp and 376ft lb torque at 1 bar which I'm very happy with. I do kind of wish I upped the boost controller to 1.2 bar though to crack the 400bhp figure but there's plenty of time in the future for that.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199881&stc=1&d=1428841232

A quick trip into work yesterday saw me replace the number two turbo oil feed/return gasket as the old one was weeping. Not the most enjoyable job but it gave me chance to check the underside of the car out in depth and it really does seem to be in very good condition for a car that is now 19 years old. It's easy to forget the age of these cars sometimes compared to their counterparts which have either rusted away or look so much more dated.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199882&stc=1&d=1428841232

attachment.php?attachmentid=199883&stc=1&d=1428841232

attachment.php?attachmentid=199885&stc=1&d=1428841309

attachment.php?attachmentid=199884&stc=1&d=1428841309

The big surprise though was to check out the ECU and find that it is non-stock. Well, it's a stock ECU that has been modified by "Result Magic Success Orientworks". All I know so far is that they are a Japanese company that are still in business and changes include the rev limit being raised to 7700rpm along with a raised fuel cut. I assume there have been other changes made to the fueling etc also. A look at their blog shows ECU's being modified for all sorts of vehicles including BMW's, AMG Mercedes and GTR's. All I know is that the car seems to pull very well and is responsive, more responsive than my last TT. A comment that is also confirmed by the previous owner who had also driven other TT's and found this one to pull better/harder.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199879&stc=1&d=1428841232

ECU.jpg

Shenstone.jpg

Dynodaze(1).jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2914.JPG

IMG_2912.jpg