The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Applecross Invasion (Pictures added)

SPG

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a thoroughly enjoyable weekend I had, and from the other posting, It seems the feeling was very much mutual!!!

I'd like to start by thanking those who attended, MarcusGTE, Heedthebaw, and Westcoaster and his good Lady :thumbs:. A special thanks goes to Marcus for helping me organise the trip, and also supply the catering on Sunday :D.

The weather was great this weekend, we managed to get a dry run for most of the trip, which really let us open up the cars and enjoy the roads, then thought of a bank holiday weekend usually spells a busy road network, but for some reason, we seemed to miss a lot of the build up. Getting back to the roads, oh my word, it was like being we were gifted our own private playground, and what a play ground it was! These are the types of roads that a BPU sup were made for, and I am not even running BPU yet :), I honestly found 6th gear a little redundant this weekend, and its not for a lack of trying either :D, so much down shifting and up-shifting that my left arm is noticeably larger that my right one, and my left leg feels like that of a mule :D.

The Scenery is something that needs to be experienced, and attempts to describe such natural beauty or to capture them on film requires an expert in each field, sadly I am neither, but I will try and sum it up as best as I can. Very few times in my life have I been out for a drive and felt compelled to commit suicide, well that's is how the scenery made me feel, I honestly felt at any given chance, my eyes were being drawn away from the road and back to the scenery :), It was a very humbling experience. If anything this trip was good for the soul ;).

Things I learned this weekend

- Maybe UK specs aren't as Lardy as I thought :D, or perhaps Marcus had some pent up rage that he was trying to unleash lmao!!! Well perhaps they are a bit lardy after I spotted one in my rear view mirror, fully locking up as it slid towards the back end of my Supra, stopping within a few inches :D.

- Never brush your teeth with moisturiser, and then remove your contact lenses whilst having hands covered in toothpaste :D (thanks for the demonstration Michael).

- Never feel comfortable enough with your fellow enthusiast to wear a Onesie in front of them,and then call it a night suit :blush:.

- Always carry a good selection of tools, regardless of how "Serial Killer'y" you might seem to your friends.

- Always carry Mobile 1 fully synthetic, you never know when you will need to rescue a Yorkshireman in his 997 :D.

- Michael is a "Bayonet" fitting, not a "Screw" type.

- One of our members has a secret Bamboo fetish and is a highly skilled martial artist :).

- FWD Audi 90's are not rally bred road cars, no matter how many junctions you jump.

- And finally, "don't buy that again, I don't like it" :D:D:D.

Pictures coming shortly, and some video's.

What a thoroughly enjoyable weekend I had, and from the other posting, It seems the feeling was very much mutual!!!

I'd like to start by thanking those who attended, MarcusGTE, Heedthebaw, and Westcoaster and his good Lady :thumbs:. A special thanks goes to Marcus for helping me organise the trip, and also supply the catering on Sunday :D.

The weather was great this weekend, we managed to get a dry run for most of the trip, which really let us open up the cars and enjoy the roads, then thought of a bank holiday weekend usually spells a busy road network, but for some reason, we seemed to miss a lot of the build up. Getting back to the roads, oh my word, it was like being we were gifted our own private playground, and what a play ground it was! These are the types of roads that a BPU sup were made for, and I am not even running BPU yet :), I honestly found 6th gear a little redundant this weekend, and its not for a lack of trying either :D, so much down shifting and up-shifting that my left arm is noticeably larger that my right one, and my left leg feels like that of a mule :D.

The Scenery is something that needs to be experienced, and attempts to describe such natural beauty or to capture them on film requires an expert in each field, sadly I am neither, but I will try and sum it up as best as I can. Very few times in my life have I been out for a drive and felt compelled to commit suicide, well that's is how the scenery made me feel, I honestly felt at any given chance, my eyes were being drawn away from the road and back to the scenery :), It was a very humbling experience. If anything this trip was good for the soul ;).

Things I learned this weekend

- Maybe UK specs aren't as Lardy as I thought :D, or perhaps Marcus had some pent up rage that he was trying to unleash lmao!!! Well perhaps they are a bit lardy after I spotted one in my rear view mirror, fully locking up as it slid towards the back end of my Supra, stopping within a few inches :D.

- Never brush your teeth with moisturiser, and then remove your contact lenses whilst having hands covered in toothpaste :D (thanks for the demonstration Michael).

- Never feel comfortable enough with your fellow enthusiast to wear a Onesie in front of them,and then call it a night suit :blush:.

- Always carry a good selection of tools, regardless of how "Serial Killer'y" you might seem to your friends.

- Always carry Mobile 1 fully synthetic, you never know when you will need to rescue a Yorkshireman in his 997 :D.

- Michael is a "Bayonet" fitting, not a "Screw" type.

- One of our members has a secret Bamboo fetish and is a highly skilled martial artist :).

- FWD Audi 90's are not rally bred road cars, no matter how many junctions you jump.

- And finally, "don't buy that again, I don't like it" :D:D:D.

Pictures coming shortly, and some video's.

Great summary, and thanks for organising it :thumbs:

We really did seem to have the place to ourselves for miles didn't we- it was like a track day at times with better scenery. You're right about taking your eyes off the road to look at the views- I had the Jurassic park theme tune in my head more than once, as it was like traveling through the land before time, but instead of the roars of dinosaurs ripping through the Scottish valleys 200 million years ago it was 4 straight sixes roaring through the ancient landscape.

Yeah the old UK spec is quite light on it's feet eh, and that was carrying the large tent and gas stove and catering.

Although the black 997 eventually overtook it and disappeared into the horizon like a secret black car in a video game that is so fast you need a cheat to unlock it; I didn't feel as bad after finding out later he was an ex rally driver. I said to him at the gulf garage "I didn't want to split the convoy up, you know?" ;)

It was nice following westcoaster and sunny for a while too, there was no better backdrop to look at the rear end of a screaming supra; although I did get a cracked windscreen from following the RSP on that private runway we found towards the end of the trip!

Looking forward to more media

:Popcorn:

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

Here come the pictures, sorry for the delay, I'm having to re-size these to put them on the forum.

Michael and Marcus conversing:

attachment.php?attachmentid=191994&stc=1&d=1412093362

The Supra's meet each other:

attachment.php?attachmentid=191996&stc=1&d=1412094048

attachment.php?attachmentid=191997&stc=1&d=1412094065

A fitting Ad, for what was to ensue:

attachment.php?attachmentid=191995&stc=1&d=1412093380

Eilean Donan Castle was next on the agenda:

attachment.php?attachmentid=191964&stc=1&d=1412084219

attachment.php?attachmentid=191965&stc=1&d=1412084219

The castle seemed to be missing something........oh yeah!!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=191966&stc=1&d=1412084219

Moving onwards we headed towards Applecross and stopped for a few pictures before beginning the epic uphill section to the summit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=191967&stc=1&d=1412084741

attachment.php?attachmentid=191968&stc=1&d=1412084741

castle.jpg

castle 2.jpg

sup-castle.jpg

apple 2.jpg

apple 1.jpg

re-size 3.jpg

resize-soaring.jpg

resize- 1.jpg

re-size 2.jpg

Edited by SPG (see edit history)

I have a fair few more that I am having resized Marcus.

I'm in talks with Gordy about a track day as I have the need for speed :D.

At least consistency had been maintain, with regards to posting.

I think there is a regional lock on this thread ;)

Cool I'd be up for that- although we just did the ultimate track day there- sparks flying off the tarmack and everything!

Still buzzing from it to be honest; the supras really were designed for roads like that, and in the dry too! Amazing.

What track would it be for the track day?

If Gordy's involved i think Driftland's a safe bet :D

:D

Btw Gordy- late reply, yes that was indeed the man in the BMW who we were talking to! He liked your style but said he thought you lost it! :)

I'm thinking Knockhill would be best, but open to suggestion's.

My driving style was a little lairy for the road going to work on Monday :D, certainly still in race mode :).

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=192022&stc=1&d=1412111315

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=192023&stc=1&d=1412111663

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=192024&stc=1&d=1412112312

Cool pics. :cool:

I know what you mean with the trouble disengaging race mode- I was quite early into work this week too for some reason ;)

Car had a royal spanking this week, never missed a beat and still got me to work this week afterwards. Can't say fairer than that.

Indeed, how many cars can you abuse like that and then drive them to work the next morning, as though nothing had happened. Loved watching the sparks fly of the tarmac also :D, my Nur-Spec is gonna need a skid pad lol, as will yours Marcus. Next year the new wheels and suspension will be on, hopefully some more power, although the car seemed more than powerful enough for those roads.

Edited by SPG (see edit history)

Indeed, how many cars can you abuse like that and then drive them to work the next morning, as though nothing had happened. Loved watching the sparks fly of the tarmac also :D, my Nur-Spec is gonna need a skid pad lol, as will yours Marcus. Next year the new wheels and suspension will be on, hopefully some more power, although the car seemed more than powerful enough for those roads.

And for the money they cost; there was a guy doing the same in a 997!

Yep- the skid pad is a good shout- should perhaps try a magnesium plate so the sparks will be green next time :D

These are great, yeah keep firing them up; me and heidthebaw and Gordy are having a great time on this thread lol.

Let's hope we never have a leaking fuel tank combined with these planned sparks!

Ps- last post, 2nd pic down look ontop of the red spoiler. You can see the castle.

(Pm)

These are great, yeah keep firing them up; me and heidthebaw and Gordy are having a great time on this thread lol.

Let's hope we never have a leaking fuel tank combined with these planned sparks!

Ps- last post, 2nd pic down look ontop of the red spoiler. You can see the castle.

(Pm)

Yeah I spotted the corner of the Castle earlier :), glad some of the 200+ views in the last few hours are not muted :D.

You get a better view of the castle in this pic, but the lighting was all wrong

Still a good pic :thumbs:

Think of the possibilitys of shots next time with gordys spy drone- I mean quad copter he is trying to smuggle through customs ;)

I don't think I can wait till next year to drive those roads again. Upto skye and back down in a day is easily possible.

Here are some of my photos,

My girlfriend and travelling companion, Kirsteen, posing with the Supra whilst we waited for the guys at the Green Welly Stop at Tyndrum:

Meeting up at Eilean Donan Castle at Dornie, where we rested our heads on Saturday night:

At the foot of the Beallach na Ba, the road to Applecross:

Applecross village car park:

Beallach na Ba hairpin bend photo opportunity!

On the road to Portree, Skye:

View towards Skye Bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh: