The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advantage of FMIC over SMIC when only BPU?

gordy.r

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have tested a fair few different brands:

ETS

GReddy 2row

Blitz LM Spec

Miami GT (SMIC)

CW (SMIC)

HKS Type R

Stock SMIC

To name a few, all on the same car, all running BPU, and as I stated, all ran better than the stock corroded Unit, but who figured right :).

I found all the FMIC units and SMIC unit suitable and worked well with the BPU setup, I will also mention though, that the car felt more responsive when I ducted the FMIC, and the difference between a CW unit and the Greddy FMIC was very noticeable.

As I stated, at BPU either will work fine, but id rather stick to a CW SMIC, as it's been by far the best unit of the lot.

Good info there, a measurement of iat's would have been good also :D

I certainly agree with you on the IAT's, and also a dyno reading would have also been a good idea.

Pressure building on the rear of a SMIC is also eliminated by the vent in the wheel arch that Toyota designed to stop this build up, but also it send some air through to help with rotor cooling :).

Also, put a FMIC through a wind tunnel and see whether ducting makes a difference to flow. ;)

I certainly agree with you on the IAT's, and also a dyno reading would have also been a good idea.

Pressure building on the rear of a SMIC is also eliminated by the vent in the wheel arch that Toyota designed to stop this build up, but also it send some air through to help with rotor cooling :).

Also, put a FMIC through a wind tunnel and see whether ducting makes a difference to flow. ;)

Yeah I knew there was vents there lol

Would be good to get some solid info from proper tests.

Thing is nobody really ducts a front mount, even on 1000bhp cars there just slapped on the front. For instance http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/06/09/gallery-1000hp-black-toyota-supra/?switch_theme=mobile&font_size=large

Edited by Whitesupra95 (see edit history)

Thing is nobody really ducts a front mount, even on 1000bhp cars there just slapped on the front. For instance http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/06/09/gallery-1000hp-black-toyota-supra/?switch_theme=mobile&font_size=large

It depends how the car is driven though. It could have 1000hp and an intercooler the size of a radiator. It'll be fine for idling and maybe one cold pull every couple of months.... but it's not going to stand up to being properly driven.

Ducting makes a HUGE difference to intake temps. A car making 1000hp with no ducting will be reaching that figure with more difficulty than it would if it had proper ducting. To suggest that ducting doesn't make a difference is just ridiculous. I don't have ducting on my FMIC but I'm under no illusions that I wouldn't get a performance hike if I did. It's something I'll look into once up and running again.

It depends how the car is driven though. It could have 1000hp and an intercooler the size of a radiator. It'll be fine for idling and maybe one cold pull every couple of months.... but it's not going to stand up to being properly driven.

Ducting makes a HUGE difference to intake temps. A car making 1000hp with no ducting will be reaching that figure with more difficulty than it would if it had proper ducting. To suggest that ducting doesn't make a difference is just ridiculous. I don't have ducting on my FMIC but I'm under no illusions that I wouldn't get a performance hike if I did. It's something I'll look into once up and running again.

I didn't say ducting wouldn't make a difference, I said the front mount is better than the side mount. It's not rocket science. I fully understand that ducting the front mount will make a difference but like I've said already, majority of big power cars have front mounts without ducting. Front mounts are tried and tested through out every range of cars.

And I have said already that I agree that the smic will be ok for bpu. I said that in my first post :D

Obviously some people believe they can know better than Toyota :)

That's a bit unfair. It's not as if Toyota built the car based on no budget. Everything in every car is about compromise so there are a lot of improvements that can be made to just about every car.

That's a bit unfair. It's not as if Toyota built the car based on no budget. Everything in every car is about compromise so there are a lot of improvements that can be made to just about every car.

Very true.

Not sure what their exact budget was for the mk4, wouldn't be surprised if the development cost wasn't short of USD30-40M - back then it was a race not just against Nissan but equally important a desperate need to establish themselves against the German and Italian makes.

Still amazes me as to how over engineered and ahead of its time the mk4 actually is.

Imi

Very true.

Not sure what their exact budget was for the mk4, wouldn't be surprised if the development cost wasn't short of USD30-40M - back then it was a race not just against Nissan but equally important a desperate need to establish themselves against the German and Italian makes.

Still amazes me as to how over engineered and ahead of its time the mk4 actually is.

Imi

This.

A set of facelift lights with HID's, a nice set of subtle 18's and it still looks modern. 400bhp with a BPU upgrade still makes swift progress.

Very true.

Imi

Indeed. The 90s in general was over engineered but in my experience, the 2JZ really is head and shoulders above most in the car industry.

This car was developed 20 years ago, were FMIC common in turbo cars back then?

Maybe Mr T wanted to keep a clean look about the car and went for the SMIC route, who knows.

I'm sorry but a lot of Japanese cars from that year run sidemounts and top mounts and I imagine it was more to do with having room for crash bars and aircon than anything else. Power compromised by safety.

The only cars off the top of my head that get front mounts are evo's and skyline gtr (not gtst)