The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Johnd-mkiv Supra build

johnd-mkiv

Cars now in primer and final work going into it before paint, really happy with the lines on the car

Started working on the exhaust system this week as the original was not to my taste

Ive salvaged the front section of the exhaust, cut and blanked the wastegate entry as ill be running it externally, removed one of the borla silencers and made a new tail pipe with the stainless sheet I had left over from my ac cobra build. I just need the car back now to make it all fit

Ive gone for a carbon effect hydro dip on all my dash panels with some extras like the steering cowel and door handles ect

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Sorry not updated this much been so busy with getting the car finished and works been busy ive only just had time to sit down and organise my self. the project continued.

while the car was in its final stages in the paint shop I was doing the finishing touches on the engine, fabricating a new stainless pipe for underneath the intake plenum

I sold the carbon spark plug cover and bought a clear cam cover then made an ally cover to hide the coil packs, sourced a smaller aux belt from a local auto part store

The paint shop kept me updated with progress pictures

fitted the box and double checked everything before fitting in the car, a pic with it sat next to my cobra engine and box

my painter rang me to inform the car was now ready to collect :eyebrows: I booked 10 days off to start the task of rebuilding

one of the most time consuming jobs I had to do on this car was the fusebox relocate, after following the guide on here that was a great help I set about cutting and soldering, heat shrinking until all the joints were done and the fusebox now located in the boot

using one of the boot compartments I removed some of the material and made an ally base plate to mount the newly located fusebox

the fun part assembling all the newly cleaned and polished parts

interior going back in all wiring set out, new audio wiring to the boot, gauge wiring all in place cable tied in.

the big day!! luck to have my boss let me do this at work and use all the equipment, the crane made installing the engine and box easy!

With the engine installed it was time for some fabrication work, making all the intercooler pipework fit neatly and look presentable, I spent hours setting up tacking, checking then welding it all, then swaging all the ends to prevent them popping under boost.

Had to cut and redo the turbo side, with some luck I had an ally turbo elbow from a previous project so I cut the old lot off and welded this on, also helping divert it away from the manifold.

the airfilter I bought was to big so had to pattern develop a transition piece to make the lot fit

spent a few hours under the car with no perks of a ramp, but with some of the jobs we get at work its not much of a chore doing something you love, the exhaust system now finished

more late nights wiring in all the dash

New LED rear lights installed, love the look of them really updates the car

The oil cooler was jammed up in the wheel arch and sat to close to the wheel, I decided with the aircon removed to mount the oil cooler in its place along with the powersteering oil cooler that was bolted to the side of the chassis leg. more custom brackets fabricated.

Bought these seats off a member until I can source a leather set just needed to make a set of custom low mounts for them, being as ive mad e a few now this wasn't to much trouble :)

fitted the new exhaust system after fully welding it, really happy with the ground clearance

bought a custom ally tow eye, used the original tow plate that bolts to the chassie leg as a base plate to make the new tow eye bolt to

made a custom single din panel to hold the cal switched for the Syvecs and three aux power switches that illuminate blue

The wheels always needed some attention but didn't want to tackle them until all the paintwork and mopping was done, after looking at them I realised only the centre part was chrome, which was dirty and after a good polish come up really well, just leaving the outer lip that turned out to be polished ally then lacker that had stared to bloom and oxidise, 3 1/2 hours per wheel I had flatted them down and polished them up!! really happy with the results.

the car come with an auto LSD but when the back was jacked up I noticed this was not the case either its broken or never had one to start with which seems odd, but might explain some of the traction issues. I have a small case manual LSD until I source a big case one. I have cleaned and painted this ready for fitment

Edited by johnd-mkiv (see edit history)

with the whole car back together I had some small electrical problems that a local auto electrician traced for me. I then had Romain recommended by Ryan come and base map the car for me, a rather tense time to say the least.

After a short run down to the MOT station a clean pass and now the joys of running it in for a 1000 miles :) Im shattered put 100's of hours into this car since its return from the paint shop its been handy being single at the moment allowing me all the time I want to crack on with it. after the first 100 miles ive started to relax and enjoy the drive instead of freaking out over any little noise :D the car drives lovely really made it all worth it.

Custom -12 breather system fabricated, custom expansion tank, washer bottle and powersteering tank all complete. custom slam panel fabricated

To be continued.......................................:eyebrows:

Edited by johnd-mkiv (see edit history)

Southend meet sounds good!

The cherry tree in stambridge is nice, with a decent car park. Or, you have the bull in hockley, the silver jubilee in eastwood - which has a huge car park, or the smack in old Leigh, which could be good for some photo opportunities over on two tree island :thumbs:

Southend meet sounds good!

The cherry tree in stambridge is nice, with a decent car park. Or, you have the bull in hockley, the silver jubilee in eastwood - which has a huge car park, or the smack in old Leigh, which could be good for some photo opportunities over on two tree island :thumbs:

Best get a thread made Gary, i think we could get a good crowd.