The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Johnd-mkiv Supra build

johnd-mkiv

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems like theres no end to this sort of thing! the butchering of nice stock looking cars. dont get me wrong, seems like you do good work and all but its not my thing, when it comes to certain cars i look at this sort of thing as ruining yet another nice example. there won't be any stock examples left before long now!! is it just me then? because i think the supra looks best left alone with just a nice set of rims.

seems like theres no end to this sort of thing! the butchering of nice stock looking cars. dont get me wrong, seems like you do good work and all but its not my thing, when it comes to certain cars i look at this sort of thing as ruining yet another nice example. there won't be any stock examples left before long now!! is it just me then? because i think the supra looks best left alone with just a nice set of rims.

Its all down to personal taste ;)

There are plenty of stock examples left.

And just like Wez says, it's all down to personal taste.

At least this one is having a really proper job done on it!

Looking good John, have to say very quick work

The only thing I would of done different is the Veilside side skirts, think they are a bit fussy, hopefully once it is painted all the same it will help

Have you expanded out the front wing to smooth in the overfender like mine, can't quite tell from the pics you have put up

Looking good John, have to say very quick work

The only thing I would of done different is the Veilside side skirts, think they are a bit fussy, hopefully once it is painted all the same it will help

Have you expanded out the front wing to smooth in the overfender like mine, can't quite tell from the pics you have put up

Thanks makes it a lot easyier having all the tools and a big workshop to get it done :) yes I keep looking at the veilside skirts mainly where the rear arch meets it, think there's to many shapes going on around that area but Dave said it will look ok, will see when most of it's prepped if I'm happy.

I had to cut and flare all the arches then panel beat them to form the contour of the over arch.

The cars now with Dave, so its time to start work on the engine and other parts.

after the compression test showed the first cylinder down 30psi from the rest, my dad advised me to make a tool up to pressurise the first cylinder on compression stroke to see where it was letting by. I could hear it coming from the turbo drain socket in the sump and nothing from the exhaust or intake, so meant the engine coming apart :(

I have now stripped the engine, no visible damage to the bore, piston or rings still look brand new, so I took everything to Gossnay Engineering to be measured and checked. He told me over the counter the rings are quite glazed and from inspection the parts have not been balanced :blink: ive left all the bits with them and awaiting a call with his advice on whats needed, hopefully just a hone, new rings and a full balance.

the clutch never felt right driving it, on stripping the gearbox inspection plate I discovered this which cant of been helping matters

the ring gear was worn and knew it would need replacing or building up again, so I set the tig up and built all the teeth that were worn up then filed back to original shape

theres a fair bit of fabrication work im going to redo then have it sent off to all be polished, with regards to the ICV does the plumbing :blink: have to be hard piped or can a hose be as good? I want everything in the bay to look as subtle and neat as possible.

Ive sent the dash panels and a few other of the interior plastics off to be hydro dipped in carbon will post up pics this week

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Im back!! :) where to start

After I sent the car to Dave for paint I had the engine to concentrate on, Gosnay Engineering sourced me some new piston rings and gave the bores a fresh hone, the crank was measured and bearings to suit, I had everything balanced and checked.

The head was quite coked up so I stripped this and realised it was going to need a valve grind as they was pitted quite bad

whilst having the valves ground in I received a call to say two of them was bent :( I managed to find the part number still on the valves, and after speaking to real street performance, had a pair on their way. Once all the valves had been ground and lapped in I spent hours cleaning the ports and all the parts ready to be rebuilt.

I really enjoy engine building and love the thought and workmanship that's gone into the 2jz engine.

Big thanks to Markssupra for coming down and helping with the cams and dialing them in :)

started work on the cam covers and throttle body, I removed the old spigots and welded some -12 fittings on. The throttle body has been mounted upside down so I needed to tidy it up as all the water lines ran through out come the hacksaw and files to reshape it

ready for polishing

Because of my intake I need to relocate the powersteering tank so Ive cleaned and painted the pump and made a kit up with aeroquip fittings and braided lines, just need to get it all back in the car before I decide wheres best to mount it.

the heater matrix pipe that attaches to the back of the water pump was horrible and because a lot of the original spigots were blanked I decided to make a new one from stainless and added a bleed valve.

Was hoping for the car back from the body shop a lot sooner but Daves been busy, so I have had to pull the car and give to another mate who said it will be done by the end of feb.

Daves worked on a side getting the lines im after so the kit has a bit of shape to it keeping some of the original lines

The car was picked up from Daves on Friday and works started on it already, My friend Jay has told me there will be three people working on prepping it for paint over the next couple of weeks .

cars coming along fast now hopefully getting it back for the end of the month :)

Bonnet, doors and spoiler all in paint really happy with his work and progress

Getting the loom stripped back now as ill be doing a fuse box tuck to the boot, took the whole loom to a local vehicle electrician and had him size up all the wires and ordered them. I wont start the job until the cars back and I can lay it all out.

Ive had a full engine harness made up as I didn't want any miss fires or things letting me down being as the cars over 20 years old, just need to make a resistor pack up now hopefully with a bit more help from Marksupra again :)