The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dazzi's White Facelift NA-T A343/0E Hybrid Auto

Dazzi

Stainless Allen bolts, that Hybrid transmission is the prettiest one ever. :)

Hehe most of the standard bolts got pretty rusty so swapped them all out while I was painting the transmission. I also trust these not to snap! I've replaced every M6 sized bolt in the engine bay with these :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update from the other day. Got all the piping clamped up and realised the 45 degree silicone coupler from the turbo was going to make the air filter hit the piping to the inlet. I bought a 4" 45 degree aluminium pipe to turn the air filter back towards the front of the car. Once I installed this I then had to measure up what length K&N air filter I needed. Turned out to be 228mm long and fits perfectly.

Couple of vids of the car up and running :)

imageimage

Mapping will commence tomorrow (weather dependant, let's see how she performs ;)

Well the weather held up for us today (just) and road mapping went very well! The car has been totally transformed even at 7.5PSI. The whifbitz screamer pipe is immense. Just need to hook up my action cam now and take some vids :D

Great news! I remember when my NA-T was first mapped, it was a feeling similar to when I got my first ever drive of a Supra :D

They're great fun, aren't they?

Great news! I remember when my NA-T was first mapped, it was a feeling similar to when I got my first ever drive of a Supra :D

They're great fun, aren't they?

I know it's only an na-t but the difference from NA to T is amazing. I've had a smile on my face all day. Still a bit damp today so not really had chance to take it out again and have a play!

I know it's only an na-t but the difference from NA to T is amazing. I've had a smile on my face all day. Still a bit damp today so not really had chance to take it out again and have a play!

Less of the only N/A-T bow locks, you'll be showing all the T.T's. a clean pair of heels, especially when you up the boost a bit, but not before about April would be a good idea.

How is the Hybrid transmission performing?

Less of the only N/A-T bow locks, you'll be showing all the T.T's. a clean pair of heels, especially when you up the boost a bit, but not before about April would be a good idea.

How is the Hybrid transmission performing?

Very true. I guess im in TT territory now :)

It's performing brilliantly. Manual mode is so much fun. The gear shifts are unbelievably quick with no wheel spin from 2nd to 3rd luckily. Temps went above 200 while mapping yesterday so I'll have to keep my eye on that. I have a transmission cooler here to install at some point.

Edited by Dazzi (see edit history)

Very true. I guess im in TT territory now :)

It's performing brilliantly. Manual mode is so much fun. The gear shifts are unbelievably quick with no wheel spin from 2nd to 3rd luckily. Temps went above 200 while mapping yesterday so I'll have to keep my eye on that. I have a transmission cooler here to install at some point.

I am pleased that it's performing well, nevertheless, If you expect it to keep performing "brilliantly", fit that damn cooler like I told you.

Thanks mate :)

Lyndon on the forum. He's going to come up to me and map on the road :)

Ive already wired the emanage into an extension harness so it will be plug and play :)

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/Dazzi_J_Clayton/Supra%20project/1661211_10151998317751312_203028104_n_zpsec6917e3.jpg

Where did you get the extension harness?

And are you going to use a Suprastick?

I would prefer a single turbo sound Im well Jel haha

Haha it does sound awesome when spooling :D Really need to do a vid!

Where did you get the extension harness?

And are you going to use a Suprastick?

Got the extension harness from Al Massey a while ago. Uncertain where he originally got it from. I have thought about suprastick. Maybe the next purchase!

• 4 weeks later...
It's performing brilliantly. Manual mode is so much fun. The gear shifts are unbelievably quick with no wheel spin from 2nd to 3rd luckily.

Temps went above 200 while mapping yesterday so I'll have to keep my eye on that. I have a transmission cooler here to install at some point.

It's not luck that there's no wheelspin between 2nd and 3rd, it's because I shimmed the actuators to behave like that so you stand a better chance of living longer!

If that temp is given in Fahrenheit it's okay, but if it's Celsius that's 392F, which means that the fluid is dead, the filter is now suspect and the transmission could be damaged?

Have you fitted the transmission oil cooler yet and is it keeping the fluid temps down?

The first link informs you what temps to expect where and the second converts F to C.

http://www.digi-panel.com/trannyoil.htm

http://www.metric-conversions.org/temperature/fahrenheit-to-celsius.htm

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Any updates? How's she going?

Not much of an update mate. The cars back in its second home :D

Been off the road for about 3 weeks. I lost power steering on the way home one night (1 week of driving after mapping). Turned out the intercooler piping route I made didn't like the power steering pipes on the rack lol! When the car was on the 2 post lift everything cleared fine but we didnt realise when the car was dropped back on the ground the intercooler piping got pushed into the pipes on the rack thanks to the anti roll bar.

I contacted toyota to get some pipes for £77 as I had no luck on here. I was told 10 days before they would get here. I waited 10 days and called them for an update. They told me I'd have to wait another 10 days as there was a problem. I told them to cancel the order as that day another member had some for £20 posted. In the meantime I replaced the cambelt, tensioner, water pump, alternator, cam shaft oil seals, crank shaft oil seals and rocker cover seals.

I received the power steering pipes shortly after and got them all hooked up and working. Next was to rework the piping to clear the transmission lines.

Before (behind the anti roll bar)

After (infront of the anti roll bar)

Thats all done and dusted now :) I was going to get it back on the road but decided to change the body kit. I took the oem side skirts off to replace with the plastic trims and side pods. Unfortunately I found primer on the rocker panel :( 2.5 hours later with some cutting compound and its now gone. Still painting the black trim bits atm but almost there :)

It's not luck that there's no wheelspin between 2nd and 3rd, it's because I shimmed the actuators to behave like that so you stand a better chance of living longer!

If that temp is given in Fahrenheit it's okay, but if it's Celsius that's 392F, which means that the fluid is dead, the filter is now suspect and the transmission could be damaged?

Have you fitted the transmission oil cooler yet and is it keeping the fluid temps down?

The first link informs you what temps to expect where and the second converts F to C.

http://www.digi-panel.com/trannyoil.htm

http://www.metric-conversions.org/temperature/fahrenheit-to-celsius.htm

I don't think you shimmed the actuators on my box David, as far as im aware we opened up the na box and swapped straight into the tt box.

The temperature was 200 Fahrenheit. After mapping it sat around 170F. The cooler is now on :)

You had me worried there, you don't see many temp gauges reading in old money these days.

Your Hybridised T.T. transmission was fitted with an N/A valve-body, N/A line pressure feed control cable, N/A wiring loom and a new N/A pan filter, the oil pressure was turned up to maximum and the actuators were removed and refitted with a tried and tested combination of N/A and T.T. springs and then shimmed up as far as I have found to be advantageous for the power level your transmission is predicted to be required to manage.

It's the combination of raised oil pressure balanced with the actuators raised springing & shimming that speeds up the gear changes and generates a firmer and more positive transmission, I let the tyres chirp between 1st and 2nd, with less aggression into 3rd at WOT and again less aggression into 4th at WOT, for lessening 'drama' at increasing speed.

Now that the cooler is in, I'll stop nagging and let you enjoy it. :)

Suprastick with flappy paddles would get my vote.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Well after some hard driving I think its time for a brake upgrade. The Jspec calipers are great but they fade pretty bad when I need them the most.

Luckily my black supra had some UK front brakes on that I bought brand new back in 2007. They've been stashed away in the garage waiting for a day like this! I rummaged around in my parts cabinet and found them looking a bit worse for wear. The paint was coming off and they were pretty rusty in places. I set to removed all the rust with a wire brush before bead blasting.

After a good wire brushing they started to take some sort of shape!

Popping the pistons out with compressed air.

The pistons were in good shape below where the dust boot sits but a little rusty up top. I cleaned up the rust with a dremel polisher.

I was originally going to keep the 2 halves of the caliper together but I split them to do a proper job. The square seals were available on the forum if needed but the original seals were in perfect shape.

Prepping for bead blasting

They came out pretty good. I just wanted to take the old paint off and roughen up the metal for a good key for the paint.

Prepping from spraying

I searched for a while deciding on what paint to use. I came across VHT Caliper paint and read up on plenty of good reviews. Going with my original 'stealth' look (black intercooler) I decided to go with a gloss black. It shows off the caliper well but not in your face.

Picture of the back halve of one of the calipers. I didn't bother going crazy with paint because you wont see this side, but I made sure it was done properly to protect underneath.

Once the calipers cured for 7 days they went in the over for 1 hour at 90c to fully cure the paint.

Installing the piston seals with Castrol red rubber grease, installing the pistons and dust boots

Thats the assembly of the calipers back together. The 2 halves of the calipers were torqued upto 23 lb ft as stated on the US supra forums. I test fitted the pins to make sure the paint didn't build up too much in the hole.

Next I installed some white high temp caliper decals. The decals can be clear coated to lock in and protect them for years to come.

Last step I clear coated the front halves of the calipers with the decal in place to give it that extra shine.

I've got some pads and discs on the way as well as a pad shim kit, so pics to follow of them installed and we'll see if I can stop faster! :D