The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rob_SRi Black Supra restoration/build

rob_sri

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys... Still having issues bleeding the cooling system.. Fixed it the other day and put some rad flush in it to make sure its all cleared drove it.. Dropped it all out again topped it up today only to create another air lock and it turned into a big supra kettle again!! :(

Going to try filling it from the rear pipes and see of that does it

So more pissing around tomorrow!

Fitted the front brakes today rears tomorrow as well :)

Attention to detail is 1st class, i`m sure this will be a great car when you`ve finished with it,

With the coolant thing its a good idea to get the front of the car in the air slightly when bleeding, then any air should naturally find its way to the rad, also might be worth checking the stat isnt seized especially with the car being stood for so long.

Thanks bud, just got to spend a lot of time on the little things too with this car.. I'm going to clear the wheel arches out at some point soon.. Clean everything down spray the plastics and bolts + wire brush + waxoyl the components

Will be waxoyling the whole underside soon too when I have got rid of all the crap!!

I did lift the nose up and fill from the rad before and it worked.. This time did the same and airlock again..

I may buy a copper T piece insert it in the rear top coolant pipes at the back of the engine and at the top of the T jubilee the garden hose to it and pressure fill it with the hose.. That should in theory push all the air round the system and out the rad cap? Here's hoping anyway!

Haha thanks.. Scrubbing was definitely needed too..!! After a good jet wash of the underside and arches can you see the light grey dirt smear all the way down the drive by the bushes? That's after copious amounts of brushing and hosing down it's still there!! It's like fine sand!

Still it's nice to wake up and see this outside the window :D it's certainly a project but I'm loving it.. Looks completely different already and I've only had it a few weeks!

My pikey flushing and rad purging brought out a whole load of like thick black sand out of the cooling system.. Kept on blasting it until it went from dark orange crud infested waters to clear

Garden hose is the yellow pipe and the green was a spare part acting as a waste chute into the buckets

This was after it started to run clear but it took about 6 buckets to get to that stage!! Definitely something I would highly recommend doing anyway!

Nice find and love the attention to detail. I can see this is going to be a great car once you're finished with it!

Love the pikey filling method, I will have to give this a go as I've had all sorts of problems trying to get the system on my car bled properly

Same it's still not bled properly I don't think.. Right pain in the tits half tempted to give up and take it to a garage, heaters now blowing hot and cold.. So probably still an airlock..

Now it's misfiring again too think I've dribbled water into the plug bores again..

Gonna have to dry it all out and WD40 everything grrrr never known such an awkward cooling system!

heaters now blowing hot and cold.. So probably still an airlock..

Sorry, but do you mean they are blowing hot and cold or is it swinging between the two? There's a few known issue with the heaters which won't be related to the bleeding. If you can clarify I might be able to offer a few suggestions

Ah, then that will be an issue with coolant flow/air lock, not the heater matrix control valves. Back to where you were then, just wanted to check :) Good luck and keep us posted

well it seems to be air free now as its not overheating at all and temps seem good.. still not very hot heaters lukewarm at best..! maybe there is a heater fault as well! what are they? control rod seems okay!

well it seems to be air free now as its not overheating at all and temps seem good.. still not very hot heaters lukewarm at best..! maybe there is a heater fault as well! what are they? control rod seems okay!

The heater matrix is under the dash, you have to remove rather a lot to get to it, a bit of a bitch of a job mate...

Cheers mate, there is plenty to do that's for sure, as the stuff gets bigger I'm sure progress will slow a little but I'm planning on doing a lot to this :)

I think the 18s on it at the moment are okay but the GTRs there look lost in that style think you're right 19s would suit much better..!

Ride quality can't be worse than my old clio so I guess I'm not too fussy about that :)

So..... This happened...

My OCD kicked in and I took the rear lights out to clean behind and metal polish the locking mech which looks much better now!

Oh and my MVP titanium Knob fitted and polished up :)

New stereo :)