The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Paint explosion - now fixed

add heywood

It looked perfect when wet, thats why I thought it hadnt even been scotched... if you look at the first pictures in the thread it looks like new. it doesnt have a "cloudy look", more a man made look to all the marks in it. Think I will try and rescue the carbon look. If it goes tits up it can be painted and Im back to where I started.

Problem now is trying to find a bodyshop I trust with a bonnet worth £1300 plus shipping and taxes from Japan... :shock:

yeah mate thats why i didnt buy one from japan, i asked them what would happen if it was damaged during shipping.

they said that if it got damaged in any way they wouldnt be responsible for it. no way would i risk it lol i couldnt find any copies about at the time.

ive managed to find copies now but its a big risk with fitment

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agree. i'd want to know who painted it and hold them responsible (assuming something that can be done about it)

if you read the thread, bonnet came on pudsey car from japan 2 years ago - he then sold it to ADD few months back

there will be no way of finding out who painted in japan (it could of been painted 2-3 years prior to that aswell)...

if you read the thread, bonnet came on pudsey car from japan 2 years ago - he then sold it to ADD few months back

there will be no way of finding out who painted in japan (it could of been painted 2-3 years prior to that aswell)...

Guess one of the price an owner pays for the lack of UK history and equally important - club ownership.

Good luck ADD getting it sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

So bit of an update, went to pick it up from CH Bodyworks today. i am very happy with how its turned out.

He said he spent a full day just flattening it back and managed to get it to look good. I was worried the patches of paint that hadnt come off earlier were hiding something more sinister like cracks or other damage but luckily it was fine underneath. The only major problem was that around the vents the paint had really taken and no matter what he did he couldnt get it off without damaging the carbon weave, so we went for a subtle black just around the edges of the vents that almost look like thay go into a black pinstripe effect.

Just quickly bolted it to the car (with the help of the girlfriend, who I may add is now not talking to me after bollocking her numerous times to watch the newly lacquered bonnet). Needs lining up but overall very happy I didnt just get it resprayed white...

Has 3 coats of lacquer on it, just needs a buff