The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Paint explosion - now fixed

add heywood

Pain in th 2 ass. But a good body shop will have the white removed the bonnet re keyed primed and painted in a day or two. Not as bad a job or expensive a job as your probably thinking. Allternatively remove all the white and get the bonnet laquered and youll have a "like new" carbon bonnet

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! That sucks. As has been said, finding a good bodyshop is a nightmare, I had a friend of a friend spray my rear quarters after I took my spats off, he didn't remove the rear bumper and I now have a sort of semi blended in quarter to bumper. He is picking ip up this week to sort is rubbish work. Oh and he do the boot lid without removing the glass which I gave him a new seal for, so it looks rubbish and is already rusting again. I not filled with confidence. It's a money back job if he can't repair the work.

I hope you get this sorted mate, a good bodyshop will make a lovely job of that and at least you will know its been done right.

Ah, they are on Bradley Hall Trading Estate then.

Finding a decent body shop is never easy Add.

that's the one mate...

Pain in th 2 ass. But a good body shop will have the white removed the bonnet re keyed primed and painted in a day or two. Not as bad a job or expensive a job as your probably thinking. Allternatively remove all the white and get the bonnet laquered and youll have a "like new" carbon bonnet

Quite like the idea of a carbon bonnet, but I have no clue about paintwork, no patience to try myself, and really don't know anywhere I could take it for them to have a go for me...

Quite like the idea of a carbon bonnet, but I have no clue about paintwork, no patience to try myself, and really don't know anywhere I could take it for them to have a go for me...

I would have thought it would be a case of buff and polish it, then clear coat to keep it carbon.

So, went out this morning and had a look...

The actual carbon looks in great condition underneath, might have a go in trying to polish it up... Although the paint that is left on seems to be adhered pretty well. Do you think a bit of heat and a plastic scraper might work to get it off...? I know I wouldnt hold the heat on too long and melt the laquer etc.

So, went out this morning and had a look...

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/244602703/DSC_0004_zps27076339.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/244602703/DSC_0005_zps6c6a85f2.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/244602703/DSC_0006_zps9f777504.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/244602703/DSC_0007_zpsf3164b4d.jpg

The actual carbon looks in great condition underneath, might have a go in trying to polish it up... Although the paint that is left on seems to be adhered pretty well. Do you think a bit of heat and a plastic scraper might work to get it off...? I know I wouldnt hold the heat on too long and melt the laquer etc.

No

Lol, paintstripper then :innocent:

- - - Updated - - -

DA...?

DA - Dual Action sander.

They are used in bodyshops, can be air powered or you can get electric ones.

Takes a lot of the sweat out of sanding ^^,

Edit:

If you get one to take that off, please use a 'soft pad' - takes some of the pressure out of the sanding and the pad contours the car better.

Plus be super carful on edges. DA's as great as they are will chomp through primer / paint / laquer in seconds on edges if your not careful as coats are usually thinner there and there is more pressure on the edge.

I used to do edges by hand then DA the flat sections, that way you control the sanding amount, not the tool.

Edited by d-_-b (see edit history)

Bloody hell - What ever happened to that!!

Sorry to hear/ see this Add.

Hardly believe my eyes to be honest after all the effort that went into making sure it got to you okay.

It was always perfect when it was on my car, and I have owned my car for nearly 2 years now (always garaged admittedly).

I bought my car from Jurgen, who imported it from Japan with the bonnet already fitted.

Bloody hell - What ever happened to that!!

Sorry to hear/ see this Add.

Hardly believe my eyes to be honest after all the effort that went into making sure it got to you okay.

It was always perfect when it was on my car, and I have owned my car for nearly 2 years now (always garaged admittedly).

I bought my car from Jurgen, who imported it from Japan with the bonnet already fitted.

No worries mate, it looked good for the month it was on lol

when the resin goes cloudy ive found that you can still see it when wet, but if its just been keyed and its wet the cloudyness goes

at the price the bonnets worth id send it off to a bodyshop :)

It looked perfect when wet, thats why I thought it hadnt even been scotched... if you look at the first pictures in the thread it looks like new. it doesnt have a "cloudy look", more a man made look to all the marks in it. Think I will try and rescue the carbon look. If it goes tits up it can be painted and Im back to where I started.

Problem now is trying to find a bodyshop I trust with a bonnet worth £1300 plus shipping and taxes from Japan... :shock:

Edited by add heywood (see edit history)