The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T Driveway Special

Pulley

How much did the master cylinder set you back? I had to order one from Australia for mine, about 90 quid all in. That said, it worked but by god the clutch is heavy now! Almost un-useable.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much did the master cylinder set you back? I had to order one from Australia for mine, about 90 quid all in. That said, it worked but by god the clutch is heavy now! Almost un-useable.

I bought 2 brand new from Australia , £100 posted

Wot clutch you running?

I bought 2 brand new from Australia , £100 posted

Wot clutch you running?

Tilton carbon triple.

I going with a hilux slave cylinder in the end, smaller bore = more throw without the heavy pedal.

Where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking?

Don't forget you're going to have import duty on that. :(

I bought mine from a main dealer in oz

Have you already installed the hilux slave?

Only reason I ask is because for the clutch pedal travel to generate enough clutch fork travel the force needed will always be the same if the same amount of pedal travel is used (unless the leverage/mechanical advantage at the pedal/clutch fork is changed)

So if the clutch fork requires say 2" of travel from the slave then using the full throw of the clutch pedal to generate this will require the same force regardless of master/slave

The force needed to release the clutch stays the same (if you always utilise the full master pedal range)

Ofcourse using a thinner slave means the same volume displaced by the master will generate a greater throw on the fork (would make the pedal heavier and need to move less

Just my 2cents

Hey there buddy.

Some amazing work you have accomplished there, certainly come a long way since I first saw the car.

I am looking forward to looking through the thread properly with a pc as soon as bt gets things going at home.

I certainly hope all is well, and look forward to seeing your creation some day soon.

Edited by Pudsey
re-written the text as original sent on the phone. (see edit history)

I bought mine from a main dealer in oz

Have you already installed the hilux slave?

Only reason I ask is because for the clutch pedal travel to generate enough clutch fork travel the force needed will always be the same if the same amount of pedal travel is used (unless the leverage/mechanical advantage at the pedal/clutch fork is changed)

So if the clutch fork requires say 2" of travel from the slave then using the full throw of the clutch pedal to generate this will require the same force regardless of master/slave

The force needed to release the clutch stays the same (if you always utilise the full master pedal range)

Ofcourse using a thinner slave means the same volume displaced by the master will generate a greater throw on the fork (would make the pedal heavier and need to move less

Just my 2cents

I have indeed. If you put a 3/4 bore master cylinder on there, the pedal will become heavier, you're throwing more fluid down the same sized line in the same amount of pedal travel.

Saying that the force needed on the pedal will be the same, how did you get that idea? More fluid, same amount of travel = more pressure required. It might fix the issue in your instance, but I'd have much rather the smaller slave, less fluid is required to fully extend the pin, therefore a lighter pedal.

• 2 weeks later...
I have indeed. If you put a 3/4 bore master cylinder on there, the pedal will become heavier, you're throwing more fluid down the same sized line in the same amount of pedal travel.

Saying that the force needed on the pedal will be the same, how did you get that idea? More fluid, same amount of travel = more pressure required. It might fix the issue in your instance, but I'd have much rather the smaller slave, less fluid is required to fully extend the pin, therefore a lighter pedal.

Think we've probably got our wires crossed, I just ment that, given the same pedal travel , and the same fork travel, regardless of anything else, the force needed too move the clutch diaphragm is never going to change

I'd the clutch pedal as standard won't give enough movement to push the fork , then you have to create more

By either using a narrower slave or larger master, either way, the clutch pedal will feel heavier as it's moving the diaphragm more

You could theoretically replace the hydraulics with a cable, and given the same mechanical leverage at each end, moving the clutch fork more without increasing the throw on the foot pedal travel means the more effort is needed at the foot pedal

That's all I meant

The hydraulics of the master/slave won't amplify the force generated from your foot

It's like hydraulic leverage, same amount of input travel but increased output travel against a given resistance will increase the input

effort needed

So I agree with wot you are saying in your last paragraph :)

I probably didn't explain myself properly or clearly

Update , just bought a full overhaul kit from OS GIKEN so I'll have brand new plates ect

Land cruiser 3/4" master cylinder mod works perfectly, but plates are very worn (knew this when I fitted the clutch)

Can't believe how expensive clutch parts are lol

Think ill be refraining from crazy drag launches

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the OS Giken clutch holds the power

I really hope it beds in and softens up a bit as its very harsh lol

Will be transforming the supra over the winter months and getting it on a rolling road

Really need wider/ grippier rear tyres as my falken 285 rears struggle even on flat dry roads atm

Really pleased with wot I've ended up with, especially considering I've designed and fabricated everything myself

Currently pushing my poor stock bottom end and pistons to the limit , have a number of spare engines lined up am building up an engine with some nice bits, Carrillo rods, mahle pistons, and some oversize valves, custom ground cams

I'm just interested to see wot I can achieve

Slowly getting used to the clutch :) and the god awful noise

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cluoebk937ekrf/Photo%2019-10-2013%2012%2018%2044%20PM.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtahdx8ywc11v5r/Photo%2019-10-2013%2012%2006%2044%20PM.jpg

Couple of things, trd quickshift, polished greddy knob, also put a "smart witness" camera behind the rear view mirror

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywjd1j2q0hhtpo7/Photo%2019-10-2013%2011%2014%2058%20AM.jpg

The engine bay needs polishing, and will soon have custom plenum and battery-to-boot conversion

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]177875[/ATTACH]

Finished my wheels

how did you manage to polish the lips pulley? i want mine done but a refurb shop has said because of the spokes cant do, there the same as yours!

how did you manage to polish the lips pulley? i want mine done but a refurb shop has said because of the spokes cant do, there the same as yours!

If a wheel refurber can not recognise a 2 or 3 piece split rim then I would not being giving them my business. Simply separate them apart and the lips are easily accessible.

Cars looking brilliant keep up the great work, the stance is great!